Repowering 618T with Yamaha SHO and Uflex Hydraulic Steering

• Kevin Olsick

Gentlemen,

Currently in the process of repowering my 2004 Ranger 618T with a 90 Yamaha SHO. I will be doing this on my own and have some questions and concerns before i tackle this.

Setup Im Shooting for:
    -90 yamaha sho with multi funtional tiller handle
    – uflex hydraulic steering

With the uflex system I am concerned that the length of the tiller handle may be a potential problem. I know the uflex system will add length and uncertain whether this will be a problem or not with the original seating position from ranger. Wanted to have all the correct items before I do the install. Reading in prevoius posts it was said that ranger incorporated a 3 inch jackplate to accomodate the longer tiller handles. Should i just plan to buy the (3″ R&R Design slidemaster) and call it a day? Not looking to find out the hard way and have to take the motor off again once installed. And if the jackplate is neccessary are there any other manufacturers you reccomend?

Anyone have a simailar setup or know someone that does? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone is in the market for a 2004 90 ELXPTO let me know, 120 psi all three cyclinders and runs great.

Thank you

Kevin

Attachments:
    1. merc.jpg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

On my new 2020 ProGuide I have the same motor and Uflex steering. The driver seat was installed at time of pick up after everything was rigged. The Uflex definitely makes the tiller handle extend further forward. Can you take any measurements of your current setup and the Yamaha 90 SHO and estimate where the Yammy handle will end up? Can you buy the jackplate and return if not needed?

BTW, you’ll love the motor and hydraulic steering!!

Kevin Olsick

Haven’t received the motor just yet. May not be here until April due to lack of inventory. For starters I probably will just wait to get the tiller handle and uflex system and eyeball it on my merc 90. Thank you for the response, even more excited that you’re a fan of your motor setup.

abster71
    crawford county WI

If you need measurements shoot me a message I have that exact system on my boat competitor

gregl2017

Wow! Your 618T will be awesome with 90HP SHO! I had a 89′ 680T it was only rated for a 65hp and we could get 35mph with 2 people.

Awesome boat, still feel like it’s the best boat I have owned. Should have kept her (

Can’t wait to hear how she runs when your done )

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.