Reports?

• chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Going up in a couple weeks. Any reports?

SoDakangler
    Participant

I won’t be up there until October but have heard the fishing has picked up throughout August. Variety of presentations and depths. Shaping up to be a good fall and there are a lot of eating size fish in the lake.

Sorry I don’t have more specific info

chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

That’s alright.Thanks I did hear the east end on the humps in the AM, deeper during the day. Trolling or Lindy’s I don’t know…

Loomis13
    Participant
    NULL

We are heading up this weekend for a quick trip. I will report back.

Loomis13
    Participant
    NULL

We are heading back today from fishing for 2.5 days. We stayed in Pike Bay and found the walleye fishing inconsistent. We fished from 10-28 feet and marked fish at all depths. Caught all of the walleye in 15-17 feet. Biggest was 15 and we didn’t get a lot of them. The fish were very scattered. Sunday was real windy and made it hard to get to a lot of places. We didn’t see very many people catching fish, but I’m sure they were somewhere. We had minnows and crawlers and neither was better than the other. One thing I will say is that if you can find the crappie, they are biting and big!

Wesley Trebesch
    Participant

One thing I will say is that if you can find the crappie, they are biting and big!

Heading up in a little less than two weeks and will be in the same area you stayed. Any tips on the crappies? We’re hopeful we can catch enough walleye for a a fish meal, but not really expecting much. Getting into some crappie would be a blast!

Tommy
    Participant

Just got a place in Frazer Bay and will be there from Friday night through all next week. I’ll try to remember to PM you with anything I find. I primarily target muskies, but stop on walleyes/crappies/whatever when I mark them to catch something when it’s slow.

You’re gopherwes on GPL right?

Wesley Trebesch
    Participant

Just got a place in Frazer Bay and will be there from Friday night through all next week. I’ll try to remember to PM you with anything I find. I primarily target muskies, but stop on walleyes/crappies/whatever when I mark them to catch something when it’s slow.

You’re gopherwes on GPL right?

That’s me, thanks dude!

We are staying over closer to Pike Bay. With this being more of a family trip with my mom and SIL I’m not sure if we will make it over to Frazer. But any depth or presentation tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy
    Participant

For sure. I’ll be around plenty of the rock reefs in big bay too, so that’s not far from you.

Rainylakefisher
    Participant

Just got back yesterday. Fished Thursday afternoon through Saturday night mostly on the east end from Seven Sisters to the Main Bay. Caught lots of walleye and had great weather. Size was mostly under 16″ with a few larger fish coming on Jiggin Raps. Depth was 16′ at the shallowest (on a windy shore), but also caught many out of 26-28’+ on deep breaks. We only used minnows, but others caught some on crawlers. We fished jigs and minnows first two days and switched to bottom bouncers and spinners in a slightly heavier wind on Saturday. Love the lake!

Loomis13
    Participant
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Loomis13 wrote:</div>
    One thing I will say is that if you can find the crappie, they are biting and big!

Heading up in a little less than two weeks and will be in the same area you stayed. Any tips on the crappies? We’re hopeful we can catch enough <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye for a a fish meal, but not really expecting much. Getting into some crappie would be a blast!

Not too much info as we kind of lucked into marking the school walleye fishing. Only fished that one school as it didn’t take us long to catch our limit and we were blowing bladders on the fish we caught so we moved back to walleye.

Wesley Trebesch
    Participant

Just got back yesterday. Fished Thursday afternoon through Saturday night mostly on the east end from Seven Sisters to the Main Bay. Caught lots of walleye and had great weather. Size was mostly under 16″ with a few larger fish coming on Jiggin Raps. Depth was 16′ at the shallowest (on a windy shore), but also caught many out of 26-28’+ on deep breaks. We only used minnows, but others caught some on crawlers. We fished jigs and minnows first two days and switched to bottom bouncers and spinners in a slightly heavier wind on Saturday. Love the lake!

Nice, sounds like you were fishing close to where we’ll be staying this weekend. Thanks for the report!

SoDakangler
    Participant

Starting to follow the reports more closely now. My trip is coming first week of October so looking for patterns. Sounds like the fall action is starting nice.

Rainy-glad to see spinners worked for you. Kind of a fun way to fish when they’re scattered out deeper.

Appreciate any reports until I get up there and will return the favor. Will engage more on the forum in the meantime!

chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Catching quite a few 16″ in q3-17 for. Pulling Brown or gold spinners at 1.3 behind a bottom bouncer. Q/2 crawler on 1 hook..

Erik Swenson
    Participant

Thanks for the reports guys!

Headed up week after next for a M-F trip with a guided trip on Tuesday.

Can’t wait…

Wesley Trebesch
    Participant

Got up Thursday evening to rain and pretty heavy wind Friday morning had us holding off on putting the boat in the water. Fished briefly Friday evening at sunset and picked up an 18″ and a couple smalls. Fishing was decent Saturday morning but no real size, everything was 12-15″. I had one that looked to be 17″ish flop off as I was trying to flip it into the boat. All the fish we caught were in 17-22′. We were fishing around about a 6′ top but never caught anything on top. They appeared to be relating to the structure but not actually on it. Tried again Saturday evening for a couple hours and continued to pick up small walleye just like the morning. Sunday was windy again but we decided to slug it out for awhile and caught one decent perch and one small walleye. We fished similar depths and spots as Saturday but they weren’t there. Marked them out in 35’+ but didn’t feel like fighting the wind out in the big water so we called it quits around noon and never went back out(the wind never really did lay down or we may have tried again). Jig/minnow way outfished bottom bouncers/crawlers. Wish bottom bouncers would have worked better because it was tough to keep a jig down as fast as we were drifting and we never found a school to spot lock on.

Erik Swenson
    Participant

Nice!

Thank you for the report Wesley. Another report thread said they did better on bouncers and crawlers. So, sounds like better remain flexible for now yet.

Headed up next week and camping at the State Park. I’ll try to reciprocate for future trippers.

SoDakangler
    Participant

Has anyone ever used bucktail jigs on vermilion? Thought about giving them a try this fall with minnows and see if my hookup percentage increases vs using just a plain jig and minnow. Maybe a little extra texture helps?

Wesley Trebesch
    Participant

Nice!

Thank you for the report Wesley. Another report thread said they did better on bouncers and crawlers. So, sounds like better remain flexible for now yet.

Headed up next week and camping at the State Park. I’ll try to reciprocate for future trippers.

Saw the other report and wished we had the same luck on bouncers. Good luck next week, hope you don’t have to deal with the same wind we had over the weekend!

SoDakangler
    Participant

Up from Thursday-Sunday with some friends for the annual trip. Probably our best fishing in the 10 years we’ve been up. Weather really cooperated and no wind all weekend made it really easy to fish spots exactly how I wanted and stay on the fish when we found them.

Fished mostly shoreline/island structure in big bay. Deep underwater points produced well. Fish were hanging right off the transition from hard to soft bottom and farther out into the soft. Didn’t catch anything when we slipped up onto the rocks. 25-30 feet was the best for us. Fish were everywhere, but some spots held far more keepers and slot fish.

Used primarily jig and minnow. But Friday morning fish were kind of stuck to the bottom and had to switch to lindy to get them to go. 0.2-0.4mph.

Had fish every morning and sent everyone home with a limit. Caught 20.5, 23.5, 24, 26, and 28 for slot fish and more importantly everyone caught fish (which doesn’t always happen with that group)

Can’t wait for next year!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.