Replacing brake pads. Im going in!

• suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

They try to scare you with all the new gadgetry but Im not paying someone else to install brakes on my truck. 2019 Chevy Silverado. Bad enough just the front pads are $200! Try finding videos for these newer GM trucks. They are basically impossible to find. I have pieced together a plan and hope to finish without driving to the dealership to have codes reset.
    Im already backing down to front pads only. I was going to include front rotors and rear pads but that is just not necessary right now. Im sure there are some in the know on here that know exactly what to do. Ill report back how it went.
    Hint-I already have the vehicle in “brake service mode” but I suspect that only applies to the rears.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Good luck. Be interested to see how it goes for you. Hopefully no special tools will be required. Had that happen on a few auto repair jobs

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Have fun with the rears when you have the auto parking brake built in the caliper. Might look a little different then your used to.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Is that the new body 2019 I dont think you even need to remove the calipers to change those pads.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Awh how much could they have changed. Make sure you don’t need to flash your computer. They will hit you for $200 just for that and you end up doing the work and not saving any money.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Have fun with the rears when you have the auto parking brake built in the caliper. Might look a little different then your used to.

I remember trying to do the rear brakes on an older sierra that had rear disks. I took the tire off and one look at that parking brake shoe I threw the tire back on and brought it to a repair shop.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

You will need to have pad sensors reset.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

They are way different then an old sierra now.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

They are way different then an old sierra now.

Oh I am sure so I wont even attempt my new truck when it finally gets here LOL.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

As long as you’re current with all your swear words, have at it! smirk

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

As long as you’re current with all your swear words, have at it! smirk

The best ones are usually made up during car repair at home! toast

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Done but not fun. Correct you don’t need to take off caliper to just replace pads. That part was easy. What hung me up was disconnecting the wear sensor. It was one of those Chinese puzzle connectors. Half the job was getting that apart. I broke the old one during disassembly not knowing how it connected to the pad so I was forced to figure it out. It was rough. Luckily a new one came with the pads. No flashing lights on the dash but I cannot reset the pad life indicator even though it’s a menu option on system setup. I’ll let my dealer have that one as long as it’s free/cheap.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ve worked on a few trucks myself.

Attachments:
    1. 8566C542-2956-4E21-815A-F661A830E252.jpeg

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

You guys are funny. But instead of anger and swearing I was motivated by the fear of disabling my truck. It usually goes the other way. jester

CaptainMusky
    Participant

You guys are funny. But instead of anger and swearing I was motivated by the fear of disabling my truck. It usually goes the other way.

You may end up doing both!

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Oh there were a few wtf’s but not loud enough for the neighbors to hear.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Oh there were a few wtf’s but not loud enough for the neighbors to hear.

So you got it done? I hate working on vehicles these days. Way too much technology. I was just fighting the A/C not working in the beater Im driving until my new truck I ordered comes in. My son previously drove it and while he had it the AC didnt work and he paid to have it all fully repaired. He bought a new vehicle so this one sat for a while. Now I start driving it and no AC. I could tell the clutch wasnt engaging to turn the AC on. I jumpered the switch and the clutch engaged so I figured the switch was bad. Replaced it, same thing. So I tried filling it with refrigerant, but it didnt seem to take. Well, little did I know that the AC must engage to actually pull it in. I gave it another go yesterday while jumpering the switch and after about 10 minutes and arm numbing shaking of the can I got it to fill and I have cold AC again! Hopefully there are no significant leaks and it lasts out the summer.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

2019 needs pads already? You should do rotors and pads at the same time, the rotor surface and new pads will not be the same. They say not to just slap pads on with our turning or replacing the rotors.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

2019 needs pads already? You should do rotors and pads at the same time, the rotor surface and new pads will not be the same. They say not to just slap pads on with our turning or replacing the rotors.

Your are right but I have run two sets of pads on front rotors many times with no issue and I wanted to save money. If I have the vehicle long enough Ill do all four rotors and pads next time.
    73K and the wear pad indicator said 15% so I did it. The old pads had some life left in them but now I am set for a long time. As for resetting the wear indicator the dealership wants $100. Ill pass. I dont need that feature.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

How do you reset the brake life on a 2019 Chevy Silverado?
    The brake pad life system can also be manually reset:
    Display Brake Pad Life on the DIC. …
    Press the thumbwheel or the trip odometer reset stem if the vehicle does not have DIC buttons. …
    Select YES on the confirmation message, or press the trip odometer reset stem on a base level DIC.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Looks like 2019 Silverado had a recall see below.

PIT5695B Brake Pad Life % Calculates Down too Quickly and/or
    Service Brake Pad Monitor System DTC C116B SYM59 and/or
    C116C SYM59

Charles
    Participant

Man I like my old vehicles lol.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

The 2019 I had had that issue. At 1500 miles said rear pads were at 13 percent. Reprogram fixed it.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

How do you reset the brake life on a 2019 Chevy Silverado?
    The brake pad life system can also be manually reset:
    Display Brake Pad Life on the DIC. …
    Press the thumbwheel or the trip odometer reset stem if the vehicle does not have DIC buttons. …
    Select YES on the confirmation message, or press the trip odometer reset stem on a base level DIC.

That’s how it should work but it doesn’t. It shows the option in faded font and wont allow selection.
    It only allows disable so you can turn the whole feature off. Have read similar accounts and scanner is the only option. Dealer confirmed.
    I don’t need it. It does nothing I cant or haven’t done my whole life. I just check the pads when rotating tires like always. The pads even have wear indicator tabs like they always have.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Where is the link to the YouTube video? jester

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

This thread is another reason I have been trying to order a new 1997 Z71 from my dealer the last few years. I even told I would pay double the sticker price in 1997 for it!!

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

Can you reset it by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?

MX1825
    Participant

This thread is another reason I have been trying to order a new 1997 Z71 from my dealer the last few years. I even told I would pay double the sticker price in 1997 for it!!

I wanted the same thing in a 1998 Z71. Last year before Big3 decided you needed 99 more bells and whistles. doah

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Wow. Thanks for posting this. I was gently eyeballing new trucks, looks like I’m going to run my 2016 into the ground then buy another from this generation. Perhaps the 14-18 was the final year where everything was “normal”- I’ve owned a 97′, a 2010 and now a 2016 and they’ve been almost identical to service across the board, the exception being my 97 was 2WD only.

Adam Steffes
    Participant

Did this same BS make it to the suburban/yukon? If so what year?!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.