Repeal AIS Law 86B.13 and changes to /Trailer Sticker )

• carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Previous Post on the Repeal:
    http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/hearing-on-the-repeal-bill-184-come-show-support-or-callemail-now/

Fast Forward to present Bill in the House which has moved to the Senate: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=HF846&version=3&session=ls89&session_year=2015&session_number=0&keyword=86B.13&keyword_type=all

After over 4-hours of reading and research in this 117+ page document and others it appears in the House Version we got most of what we wanted and may be agreeable to the majority.

Subd 2 & 4 in requiring a Test and Trailer Sticker are repealed.
    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=86B.13

In place of this Minnesota Watercraft Owners when registering or Renewing Registrations or when purchasing a Non-resident fishing License in Minnesota will be required to sign a
    “Aquatic Invasive Species Affirmation”

To Summarize: what I can read into this complicated document, just sign saying you are aware of AIS Laws and will follow the current Laws.

No additional cost for this.

The backside, which I personally am ok with is additional fines and definitions for violating the law.

I’ll try to keep this updated. I am calling a few Officials tomorrow to Verify my interpretation on my understanding of this Bill.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

additional fines and definitions for violating the law.

That’s really the only part that anyone is concerned with in St Paul anyway.

Henpecked

Thanks for all your work keeping up on this and keeping folks informed. I’ve been trying to follow it as well. The revisions are a great improvement over the original and quite possibly supportable. One small concern I see is however is the section which designates a $25 dollar fine for not having the affirmation available to inspection.
    (8) for failing to have aquatic invasive species affirmation displayed or available for
    inspection as provided in sections 86B.401 and 97C.301, subdivision 2a, $25.

It doesn’t, at this point anyway, say what form the affirmation will involve. Maybe just an addition to the registration sticker or a whole new sticker. Either way an improvement.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:52:09 -0500
    To: Announcements From Representative Denny McNamara
    Subject: Legislative Update

Hello from the State Capitol,

The Minnesota House has approved legislation that would positively impact millions of hardworking, middle-class Minnesotans.

Our omnibus tax bill provides $2 billion in tax relief to middle-class families, college students, aging adults, veterans, farmers and job creators & innovators. The most significant part of this package is a new Minnesota personal or dependent tax exemption that could save a middle-class family of four more than $500 over the next two years.

Other highlights include the phasing out of the social security tax, which would help more than 366,000 aging adults who are living on fixed incomes. Veterans would also receive relief as their military pay and pensions would no longer be subject to the income tax.

Families would also benefit through the expansion of the education deduction to include pre-school expenses, and nearly 110,000 college students would qualify for a new tax credit for principal and interest loan payments on their student loans, providing them with some savings on their higher education costs.

The family budgets of Minnesotans have not grown nearly as fast as the budget of state government over the past two years, and this bill looks to provide our residents with tax relief. I’m pleased this legislation was approved with bipartisan support in the House and am hopeful by the end of session that we can convince the governor and the Senate to prioritize the pocketbooks of the middle class.

The House also approved our environment finance bill which I helped craft. Included are increased funding for Soil and Water Conservation districts to fund more “on the ground” projects, and a repeal of the current ‘Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Trailer Sticker/Decal’ law, and replacing it with a requirement that the boat owner sign an affirmation stating they will abide by AIS laws.

Moving forward, I also hope to work closely with Governor Dayton on his buffer idea, which would require perennially rooted vegetation adjacent to ditches. It is my hope we will adopt a plan that is flexible and recognizes that different sites should be treated differently. By increasing the use of buffers we can reduce pollution runoff and improve wildlife habitats.

Earlier this week I had a chance to sit down with the governor and his cabinet to discuss incorporating large scale water retention projects, which have the potential to accomplish many of the governor’s goals, and they liked the idea. These projects would definitely help clear up Minnesota waters, including the Mississippi River basin, and help our area and communities upstream address this problem. I look forward to working with Governor Dayton on this topic and hope for a resolution before session ends.

Keep in touch,

Denny

Sad or Funny: I proposed this to a number of people earlier this year and was told they tried passing this a few years ago and that wouldn’t Fly.
    Not sure where it came from as tracking the crafting and text along with amendments of the DNR Omnibus Bill is almost impossible.

Carroll

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

It doesn’t, at this point anyway, say what form the affirmation will involve. Maybe just an addition to the registration sticker or a whole new sticker. Either way an improvement.

I’m assuming it will be a token printed add-on to your registration that you’re supposed to have with you when you operate the boat.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Henpecked wrote:</div>

I’m assuming it will be a token printed add-on to your registration that you’re supposed to have with you when you operate the boat.

I can only go by what McNamara wrote in his email update:
    a repeal of the current ‘Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Trailer Sticker/Decal’ law, and replacing it with a requirement that the boat owner sign an affirmation stating they will abide by AIS laws.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.