Removing pine tree sap from your hands

• Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Up at the cabin last week I had to remove a few pines that blew down in the past storm.
    When I was done my hands were black with pine tar. I was going to grab the gas can when one of my friends GF said “cooking oil will get that off”
    I gave her the business when she said that, so to prove her wrong and get a laugh I grabbed the olive oil out of the pantry then smiled at her when I poured it on my hands.

Yeah, she got the last laugh when the only sap left was me. doah

It actually worked like magic.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

That’s good to know. I hate that sap. I usually wear gloves when dealing with pine. Love the pine for campfire wood though!!

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I will try that. I usually use isopropyl or gas in a pinch.

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

No idea about sap but Ill use acetone to remove other substances

Snake ii’s
    Participant

Try carburetor cleaner – the good solvent based variety. I have cleaned all sorts of sticky substances using this method. WD-40 works pretty good as well.

Enor Mussbalz
    Participant

Butter works wonderfully! And it doesn’t dry out your skin. GOJO also works well.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

Thanks for the tip! I’ve trimmed a lot of pine branches this year and I always like hearing home remedy things like this. I’ll give it a try.

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

Canola, peanut or corn oil also work without drying your hands or making them smell like gas, WD40 or carburetor cleaner will.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Good to know. I was going to guess sand paper.

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

Huh, I had no idea things like cooking oil and butter would work. I’ve always just used gasoline, then washed my hands a billion times and applied lotions after to get the smells and dryness off!

Gregg Gunter
    Participant

I bet your hands were soft after the olive oil treatment! This reminded me of using peanut butter to get bubble gum out of the kids hair haha

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

In college I worked at a hazardous waste dump center. My job was to empty the paint cans into drums and pop spray paint in a compactor fitted with snowmobile spikes. I would leave there covered in paint. Good-ole WD-40 on a rag got everything off my face…

Fast forward 3 years later…someone told me to try an olive oil/dish soap mix. Worked just as good, if not better….

Charles
    Participant

Goo Be Gone, is what I use.

B-man
    Participant

I’ve never really worried about it on my hands, but rubbing alcohol works awesome to remove it from vehicles waytogo

(I have a ton of red pine in my yard that drip on hot days)

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Couldn’t you just wear some gloves?

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

You kinda sound like my X. tongue

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Only sailors do. Those dirty b@stards go from port to port.

Hodag Hunter
    Participant
    Northern Wisconsin

I use charcoal lighter fluid. Works great for tar too. I heard about it on Public Radio years ago. They said of all the “stuff” (gas/fuel oil/acetone/alcohol etc.) it is the least volatile, ie safest to not catch fire.

tindall
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

Pinesol floor cleaner takes sap off very effectively and might be better than some of the harsher chemicals.

robby
    Participant
    Quad Cities

Great tip, thanks!

Matthew Craig
    Participant

Good to know. I’m trying to be healthier and steer clear of the brake clean type fixes…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.