Removing fish scum from my outboard cowl

• Gregory Ballman

Greetings! I’m new here and hoping for some helpful advice. Does anyone have a good recipe or product for removing fish slime from my outboard motor cowl. I’m talking mostly walleye, lake trout and salmon. As hard as we try, landing fish off the back of my Tyee always leaves a mess. I’ve tried a number of off the shelf spray cleaners to no avail. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Best cleaner I found for most things: Awesome (Label says Totally Awesome). $6qt at Wally world – $1 at Dollar store. I guess $1.25 now. Mix 1/10 with water in a spray bottle. Maybe 1/5 for tough stuff. Did my boat and lower unit a few weeks ago. Environmentally friendly too.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

A good wash with Dawn dish soap should do the deal. Or 50/50 water/vinegar might work, it’s what I use remove water spots.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

50/50 water/vinegar also removes water spots.

He’s looking for something that removes fish slime. Not water spots. Hot Sauce by Boat Bling works for water spots on the outboard. Fish slime…I don’t know.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I always just blast mine with my pressure washer when washing off the rest of the boat, then hit it with the soap I’m washing the boat with, then rinse it off again and it cleans fish and bugs off!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’m curious on how you get fish scum/slime on your outboard motor cawling? If your netting fish, aren’t you off to the side of your motor? I get plenty of slime in the back of my boat, but never on my motor.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Must be really big fish. LOL

I’m curious on how you get fish scum/slime on your outboard motor cawling? If your netting fish, aren’t you off to the side of your motor? I get plenty of slime in the back of my boat, but never on my motor.

LabDaddy1

That’s what I was thinking lol. I am genuinely curious about your response, Gregory, unless in fact you’re just referring to typical lake/river water film and spray(which can still be a pain in the butt).

Edit: just realized how old this thread is and how much it sounds like the lead-in to a hull cleaning product’s sales pitch..

robby
    Quad Cities

Muranic acid or a toilet cleaner called “The Works”.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.