Red Wing bakery

• buck-slayer
    Participant

Hanisch Bakery. It’s a must stop if you’re going through Red Wing. Old time bakery where dounuts are behind the glass show case. So you get to point at the ones you want. Best apple fritters I’ve ever had. They serve breakfast and lunch also but haven’t sat down to eat yet. If I lived in Red Wing I’d stop everyday.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Maple-bacon donuts are a fav and have a napkin ready for Bill’s Bismarck’s!!

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Any of you guys that have kids take them to a scratch bakery. Bakeries are becoming very scarce and the bake off crap the grocery & c-stores sell is no comparison.

Treat your kids and yourselves before every one of them has closed.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Best in the state imo! And a pretty funny follow on social media too.

gregory
    Participant
    Red wing,mn

Yep! Billy the bun man!

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Old style bakeries are getting rare. There’s still one in Spooner, Wi. I have spoken to the owner. He has to love it because his working hours suck. Basically 3rd shift.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I will agree the Hanisch bakery is pretty darn good, I used to buy a bunch from them when having the Jan union meeting with the Meyer Utility Structures employees.

BUT…I’d put the cold spring bakery up against the best of them!! waytogo waytogo whistling

Deuces
    Participant

Pair of old fashioned donuts w some coffee in the morning from a good bakery is about heaven each and every time.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Pair of old fashioned donuts w some coffee in the morning from a good bakery is about heaven each and every time.

Years ago when I baked it was 2 still warm raised glazed and a big cold glass of milk. I put on 20#’s working that job.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

We’re blessed to have a classic bakery here in New Prague – Lau’s Czech Bakery. Just like a normal bakery, but also with Kolackys!

Now I want a donut.

Rick Z
    Participant
    Stark MN

Herman’s Bakery in Cambridge is awesome too. Stop in if you are ever in Cambridge. It is on old Main street.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Herman’s Bakery in Cambridge is awesome too. Stop in if you are ever in Cambridge. It is on old Main street.

When I lived in Princeton I would stop there. They did a job although parking could be challenging.

Pete & Joys in Little Falls is another classic bakery.

orve4
    Participant

Still lucky to have a couple of these close to where I call home. Cold Spring bakery is one of them with a bunch of grey haired ladies working behind the counter. Their donuts are fantastic and the line proves it on the weekend.

Another one of my favorites use to be Pete and Joys bakery in Little falls working there as a nurse I would often stop in before a shift. Have not tried since the new owners took over and my job is now in st.cloud.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

The only thing that beats that “Bakery Smell” when you walk in is maybe the smell of a good home town Meat Market.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Still lucky to have a couple of these close to where I call home. Cold Spring bakery is one of them with a bunch of grey haired ladies working behind the counter. Their donuts are fantastic and the line proves it on the weekend.

Another one of my favorites use to be Pete and Joys bakery in Little falls working there as a nurse I would often stop in before a shift. Have not tried since the new owners took over and my job is now in st.cloud.

Agreed, Cold Spring is great and I grew up on Pete and Joys (they used to be in Pierz also) Maple long johns and raspberry bismarks, they are right up there with Hanisch’s too!

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

the cold spring bakery i believe is on its 3rd generation of the Schurman family!!

yea those lines really get long during the summer months when all the lake people start showing up!! my wife’s family lived in the cities and had a place on rice lake, the first thing they did saturday morning was head to the bakery. us locals needed to be there bright and early iffin we wanted the good stuff.

with that being said…….ive never been in the Hanisch bakery either where there wasnt a line…….

orve4
    Participant

There use to be a Pete And Joys in Long Prairie also.

Dean Marshall
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rick Z wrote:</div>

When I lived in Princeton I would stop there. They did a job although parking could be challenging.

Pete & Joys in Little Falls is another classic bakery.

Is Cambridge where the cinnamon rolls came from ? They were spectacular!
    Hanisch fresh bread and cinnamon twists are highly regarded !
    Emily’s in Hastings solid but I think they are closed now. :[
    Coldsprings will certainly turn anyones head as they are awesome !
    Wished we were closer, and sure miss Hanisch being out our back door.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

I can neither confirm nor deny. grin

Surprising a bakery thread could wake you from your nap.. jester

Sylvanboat
    Participant

Sounds like Dinkels Bakery in Chicago. Just read they are closing after 100 years.

Dean Marshall
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I can neither confirm nor deny. grin

Surprising a bakery thread could wake you from your nap.. jester

I cant confirm or deny that either ! :]

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I work a couple days a week at the local grocery store and overheard the gal that brings the bakery goodies say a while back the bakery was having a hard time getting all the flour they needed!! doah

Justin Donson
    Participant

Bloedow’s in Winona is an amazing bakery if you get the chance. They have the best Maple long johns in the world IMO. I prefer their maple-bacon long johns, but my wife likes just the maple ones.

Seriously amazing donuts there, and great bread as well. I think they’ve been a family business for over 100 years or something, pretty awesome place.

Closed on Sundays though!

ThunderLund78
    Participant

Bloedow’s in Winona is an amazing bakery if you get the chance. They have the best Maple long johns in the world IMO. I prefer their maple-bacon long johns, but my wife likes just the maple ones.

Seriously amazing donuts there, and great bread as well. I think they’ve been a family business for over 100 years or something, pretty awesome place.

Closed on Sundays though!

I went to College and spent a few years after in Winona working for Fastenal. I can verify this 100%. Nothing better than when it was someone’s birthday or special occasion at work and we’d get a box of still-warm Bloedow’s Glazed donuts!

I probably took a few years off my life with the amount of those I ate – and I regret NOTHING!

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Blessed to have many ma and pa bakery’s around me yet. Most the gas stations sell Cold Spring baked goods, but my favorite is Albany bakery. They have what I consider to be the greatest pastry ever.
    The glazed crossiant! 🤤🤤🤤 yay

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20220409_103058169-scaled.jpg

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

We have a couple good ones in south Minneapolis. Mel-o-Glaze and Bakers Wife are within a mile of each other and both are great.

Mel-o-Glaze has the best donuts I’ve ever had.

Sylvanboat
    Participant

I went to College and spent a few years after in Winona working for Fastenal. I can verify this 100%. Nothing better than when it was someone’s birthday or special occasion at work and we’d get a box of still-warm Bloedow’s Glazed donuts!

I probably took a few years off my life with the amount of those I ate – and I regret NOTHING!
    [/quote]

You will be happy to know that God gave those years you lost to Keith Richards.

maddog
    Participant
    Park Rapids Mn.

Pete’s bakery was sold a couple of years ago. I’m an old scratch baker I’ve been doing it for 48 years and a lot has changed over the years. I bake for Eldens in Alexandria MN .We do quite a few products from scratch, cookies, pies, pie bars pumpkin bars Angel foods are all scratch no mixes with this old guy.If any of you guys are up in this area to fish stop in after 9 thirty pm for a warm cake donut, we also make a nasty bun called a Zorba- long stem green onion cheddar cheese and garlic powder mixed into the bun pretty good stuff

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Pete’s bakery was sold a couple of years ago. I’m an old scratch baker I’ve been doing it for 48 years and a lot has changed over the years. I bake for Eldens in Alexandria MN .We do quite a few products from scratch, cookies, pies, pie bars pumpkin bars Angel foods are all scratch no mixes with this old guy.If any of you guys are up in this area to fish stop in after 9 thirty pm for a warm cake donut, we also make a nasty bun called a Zorba- long stem green onion cheddar cheese and garlic powder mixed into the bun pretty good stuff

Do you make your pastry dough from scratch? For me it’s a night & day difference if you have a pastry made with layered butter vs the frozen, thaw, bake stuff.

I think the old boy who taught me had me do 7 layers while folding and rolling that dough. lol I remember it being a lot of work but damn it was good.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.