Recommendations For Gut Hook Knife?

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I got a Buck 119 and 110 that have been my hunting knives since I was knee high to a dingo. However, I was looking at getting a gut hook knife for field dressing deer and was wondering what to get? Any recommendations are welcome, thanks!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I just use a 6″ knife. Get your finger under the hide and the knife follows the finger. Fastest deer I gutted this year took 3 minutes. I don’t cut a rib or pelvis bone.
    No need to overthink with specialized tools IMO.

Red Eye

I was given a outdoor edge knife with a gut hook on it for Christmas one year. After trying it a few times I took the knife to work and cut the gut hook off with a band saw then buffed it smooth. Seemed like it just got in the way. I’ll take my 119 Buck any day. I split both pelvis and rib cage on every deer with the 119. Unless caping for mount.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Buck use to make the Vangard available with a Gut Hook. I think they have now changed it to the Zipper. Know several buddies who have owned and used the Gut hook version of the vangard for a LOT of years and have been really happy with them. One of my buddies just quartered up several deer with his vangard on Sat.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just use a 6″ knife. Get your finger under the hide and the knife follows the finger. Fastest deer I gutted this year took 3 minutes. I don’t cut a rib or pelvis bone.
    No need to overthink with specialized tools IMO.

Same. I actually prefer my old fillet knife. Other wise I have a custom engraved knife from rapid river knifes out of rapid river Michigan. No gut hook for me, sorry I can’t recommend any others

deertracker

I’ve never used a gut hook knife while field dressing but did try one while skinning once. It worked pretty slick when making the first cut along the legs. As long as you went with the hair. I think mine was an Outdoor Edge that came in a kit I got when I made a donation to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
    DT

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I was being nice and offered to butcher a deer last week someone else shot and gutted and let freeze, AND turn it into tasty treats… good grief…clean out the terds! Lol dirtiest job I’ve seen. Things you do for friends rotflol

Now, I have more land to hunt ;)

Attachments:
    1. 20221205_181649-scaled.jpg

Brad Dimond

FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:
    I was being nice and offered to butcher a deer last week someone else shot and gutted and let freeze, AND turn it into tasty treats… good grief…clean out the terds! Lol dirtiest job I’ve seen. Things you do for friends

I hope you also provided a tutorial in field dressing.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Lol, I’m don’t field my deer anywhere that I hunt. Often, I just hang them up, skin and quarter with the guts in. Then slide the intestines over and cut out the inner loins. Much cleaner that way

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Lol, I’m don’t field my deer anywhere that I hunt. Often, I just hang them up, skin and quarter with the guts in. Then slide the intestines over and cut out the inner loins. Much cleaner that way

I would do that but hunting public kinda limits what I can do. I usually drag the deer out of whatever bottom it died in and field dress. Then I drag to trail head and go back to my truck and get the game cart. My Buck 110 and 119 are great knives, I was looking online and might just get a seatbelt cutter and that way I don’t have the gut hook getting in the way on my blade.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yeah hopefully I get a chance to train he who kinda gutted that deer next year. doah

grpubl7
    Central WI

Used to help cull urban deer for 10 years all over WI. Those deer had to be transported whole to the city garage for each township. Citizens did not like it when you left a gutpile in their yard.

Due to the sheer number of deer that I ended up gutting, I employed a gutting hook with replaceable blades.

https://www.knifecountryusa.com/store/product/309518.309523/schrade-1123119-replaceable-gut-hook.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAleOeBhBdEiwAfgmXf_-s6WhSo2JTIfxvwLLEoz5Nup5MugWHTw6whR2imR0WvmIai38gexoCODEQAvD_BwE

JEREMY
    BP

In the upper middle to the right a little is there a metal rod in its arse?

jwellsy

Sounds like you appreciate old school knifes.
    Check out a Remington R3 lockback.
    They have a very nice gut hook.
    Very classic look, feel and vibe.
    You can find them with a leather sheath and a small sharpening rod.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.