Recent Activity – Lake WI or the Dells

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Looking at two days this week (maybe starting tomorrow), and have not been on the lake since spring. Anyone know if the crappie bite is picking up, or up at the mouth of the lake for maybe jigging walleyes? Did well up there once, but for the life of me can’t remember if it was fall or spring. Looking for something different, so was planning on either on Lake WI, or up below the Dells. I’m just as happy chasing crappie… but like the option of walleye in case first plan falls flat, and to mix it up.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Lake Wisconsin – Fish (walleyes, saugers & crappie) appear to be caught between summer patterns and fall patterns right now.
    This is really no surprise considering that last weekend we were fishing in 80 degree weather, wearing sunscreen and t-shirts. This past weekend, I wore long underwear, bibs and overcoat. And water temps, they dropped about 10 degrees in less than one week.
    We caught walleyes, saugers and crappies this past weekend. Not a lot by any means but more important was where we caught them. Basically everywhere. One in 8′ of water and the next in 23′ of water. No pattern for the weekend that repeated itself consistently.
    And that’s pretty much exactly what I expect to see when surface temps in the main lake are hovering around that 57 degree mark.
    The good news, fishing will only get better from here on out for the rest of the fall season. (unless we get an Indian Summer. That will kill the bite until it starts getting cold again.)

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Thank you for the feedback…. it puts an answer to my concerns. I can struggle here on a good day… Now to decide on a different direction. Got this window, and I’m a going somewhere. Thank you again!

Patrick Fahey

Strange year Dells to Lake Wisconsin. River opened back up down through Portage. River levels up and down to date. River opening back up in spots again.

Patrick Fahey

River open down to Lake. River channel below I-90-94 open.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.