Reattaching drive belt on Craftsman Lawn Mower

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

Mulching leaves yesterday and parked the lawn tractor. Took the Milwaukee M18 blower to clear the grass/leaf clippings from the mower. Went to put the tractor away and wouldn’t budge. Found the drive belt came off the pulley on the transmission. Any quick ways to get it back on or do I need to remove the mower deck as most videos show?

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I have owned 3 lawn tractors over the years and none of them required me to remove the deck. Do any of the pulleys move to remove tension on the belt?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If it’s still in your lace and not replacing, just swing the tensioner over and put it back in place

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I didn’t look very hard to find a tensioner, since I needed to do a few other things before it got dark. My son and I pushed it into the shed. I’ll dig out the manual also. Thanks.

kidfish

I just replaced the drive belt on my dads craftsman a few weeks ago. I did remove the deck, which was relatively easy. I have a mower lift and used that as well, but I also had to remove and replace the transmission cooling fan above the rear gears.
    One thing you could try is to pull the battery box and reach down to the pulley that this fan is on. It’s a tight fit, but with a pry bar, you may be able to get it o.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

On mine the gas tank is above the trasmission so coming in from the top isn’t an option. I hope to get to it sometime today. Yes, I’m retired! grin

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I got a look at it yesterday. The belt came off the transmission pulley on the bottom side. If it came off the top side it would be an easy fix (if it didn’t damage the plastic cooling fan) since you install a new one from the top side. I can get enough slack to put it back on but there is not enough clearance between the pulley and a metal housing. I don’t want to force it and damage something else. I’ll have to cut it off. I should have a new one on Monday. I guess I’ll have to use low power on the blower when cleaning that area. I’ve always used hi power before but got up in that area more than usual.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.