Really Nat Geo???

• ThunderLund78

Watched the last 10 minutes of a Life Below Zero re-run while I was waiting for another show to start on a different network. Wasn’t really paying attention when something caught my eye… had to rewind it. It was the Native Alskan Athebascan guy who apparently lives off the land and they always show him “teaching his kids the ways of nature.” He was taking his kids fishing and for the whole 5 minute segment all 3 of them held the reel like this… HA! What a fraud.

Attachments:
    1. 20220823_195950.jpg

2. 20220823_195942.jpg

3. 20220823_195842.jpg

Coletrain27

Haha! There not gonna last long “living off the land” hah

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve seen that episode before too. Just shook my head. Get it together Alaska.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

maybe somebody should teach him to reel a spinning reel the “normal” way?

AK Guy

Sport fishing isn’t a big part of native culture. Using nets and fish wheels are.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

HA! What a fraud.

I’ve seen about every episode this guy is in and he is no fraud. Bad Azz Mfer if you ask me. Probably the most authentic character on the show. In this episode he is just taking his kids fishing and camping. They only fish with poles once or twice a year. Like AK Guy says, they mostly net and trap.

-J.

Gitchi Gummi

I’ve seen about every episode this guy is in and he is no fraud. Bad Azz Mfer if you ask me. Probably the most authentic character on the show. In this episode he is just taking his kids fishing and camping. They only fish with poles once or twice a year. Like AK Guy says, they mostly net and trap.

-J.

+1

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Probably the most authentic character on the show.

There used to be a guy named Glen that lived in a really small cabin on a lake all year round and he used no power tools of any kind. 100% manual tools. That guy was raw.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Maybe its an Alaska thing?? They did the same thing in that phony Alaskan Bush People show… made for a good laugh

Gitchi Gummi

There used to be a guy named Glen that lived in a really small cabin on a lake all year round and he used no power tools of any kind. 100% manual tools. That guy was raw.

That guy is a beast! I wonder what happened to him and if he is still living at that little cabin in the Brooks range.

ThunderLund78

-J.

Actually, you’re right – I don’t doubt it and this isn’t a show I watch a lot of. I used to but I get really sick of some of the fake story lines and drama they try to edit in. I’d be much more interested in a documentary about their way of life instead of the typical reality TV format. This feels like a producer said it would be a great story if we showed you taking your kids fishing – but it doesn’t feel authentic. Nat Geo is more the fraud. I found it funny more than anything – not meant to be a commentary on anyone’s way of life.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

Actually, you’re right – I don’t doubt it and this isn’t a show I watch a lot of. I used to but I get really sick of some of the fake story lines and drama they try to edit in. I’d be much more interested in a documentary about their way of life instead of the typical reality TV format. This feels like a producer said it would be a great story if we showed you taking your kids fishing – but it doesn’t feel authentic. Nat Geo is more the fraud. I found it funny more than anything – not meant to be a commentary on anyone’s way of life.

I watched Ax Men last night and had similar thoughts. One of their machines overheated, so prior to this happening, they said it’s been so hot all day one spark would likely start a forest fire… then the skidder overheated and “started on fire”. You know when a piece of equipment overheats and steams a little? That’s all it was doing. But they milked it into a huge deal and it was just tiresome to watch. I like seeing what they do, not what the TV crew can make drama out of.

I try to give the actual loggers more credit, like hey they’ll say whatever to get paid by the TV crew. But I like to think deep down that they’re not actually that stupid and realize that they didn’t need to spray the engine bay of a skidder with 2 fire extinguishers because it was steaming a bit…

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Ax men is the worst for fake drama. I mean how lucky can you be when a log gets away and there just happens to be multiple cameras in he perfect position to capture it. applause

ThunderLund78

I like when someone’s walking in the woods and the slip and fall – the music ramps-up Like it’s some kind of catastrophe and then they cut to commercial. When they come back the person gets up and says “whoops” and keeps going…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Lot of gully people watch who never felled a tree or cast a lure. Imagine most goes unnoticed.
    If you didn’t know much about zebra mussels and took the signs and propaganda in MN as gospel… you’d also think we’re about to light up this tinder box lol to put it into ax men terms

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

You need to watch the Last Alaskans. It’s the least phoniest of all the Alaska reality shows. It basically documents their lives in ANWR. No drama created.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.