Rav 4 owners.

• Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Well the Tahoe is going bye bye and I am in search of another suv. I’m really looking in to the rav4 hybrid AWD and seeing what real life drivers think of them. Also looking at pilots as well but the rav4 catches our eye a little bit more.
    Any pros and cons. Cvt transmission I’ve never been a fan of but I guess I have no real experience either. This vehicle will just be the family ride no trailers or nothing like that.
    I just want something that will last a long time so the lady will be happy. Looking between a 17 and or brand new.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Wife drives a new Honda Pilot, She had a Toyota and loved it but the new Toyotas did nothing for her as the interior was to much going on so she got the Honda. The Rav 4 is a smaller SUV compared to the Pilot, then your looking at the Highlander.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Our old neighbors had one that I rode in a few times. It seemed reliable and efficient. The biggest “con” was that there wasn’t a ton of space. If you had to throw in anything like luggage, a stroller, car seats, coolers, golf clubs, etc etc the space would be gone quickly. The back seat sat quite low and wasn’t built for anyone over about 5’7″ from what I remember. There’s was the newest body style…probably a 2020 or so?

If it’s for running around or driving daily in the metro/suburbs it’d fill that need perfectly. Honda is reliable, but you pay for it compared to competition when comparing features and trim levels. To me – Honda is the best value when it is a vehicle you are going to run for many years and miles. If you are buying the highest trim level Rav 4 and swapping it out in 2 years, there’s probably better choices from a financial standpoint.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

BC youre not going to use it to pull a skid steer? My wife was looking at Rav4s and CRVs and preferred the CRV over the Rav4 for what its worth. Eventually she decided she would probably get a Highlander.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

BC youre not going to use it to pull a skid steer? My wife was looking at Rav4s and CRVs and preferred the CRV over the Rav4 for what its worth. Eventually she decided she would probably get a Highlander.

We are going to start browsing the lots this weekend. She has sent me a few pilots, highlanders, and rav4s. The rav was the easiest on the wallet. She has to have the fully loaded model for what ever reason so no matter what it won’t be cheap. We are looking low miles under 25k probably. The Tahoe is the last gm I will ever buy. Under 70k and the tranny went bye bye yesterday. Gm can suck on my butt, I will never own another unless it’s earlier then a 99.

As for hauling and driving, she drives from north branch to vadnais heights daily where she manages the body shop, other then that she owns a cleaning business and just needs trunk room for basic cleaning supplies. If we go any where we typically take my truck. No matter what though she will need to have a little room. We used to have the Buick envision and that was perfect size for her. I believe the rav 4 is pretty close to that correct ?

crossin_eyes
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

I will second the Highlander. My wife had a 2017 Hybrid that she absolutely loved. Plenty of space ,but not too big. Plenty of options and creature comforts while still not being the high priced “loaded” vehicles that some are. She’d still have it, but it was her company car and they traded it in last year. She now has a Ford Explorer and hates it.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Rav4 would be pretty close to the envision I think. They are nice vehicles, my wife just thought the CRV looked better and the interior was nicer.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Rav4 would be pretty close to the envision I think. They are nice vehicles, my wife just thought the CRV looked better and the interior was nicer.

The crv is one we will also be looking at. We are not set on anything beside not buying another Tahoe. Once the warranty work is done the thing will be gone.

Stanley
    Participant

We have had a lot of rav4’s in the shop(body shop) lately and also a 21 Highlander hybrid. I prefer the highlander just due to size over the rav4. Both seem nice and I wouldn’t have an issue owning either. A buddy of mine has a highlander(2 kids) and his dad a rav4 (no kids at home) so I would say buy whatever size fits your needs.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Wise move. I told my wife we would be dumb to get rid of her Denali at this point with a brand new motor, brand new transmission, new radiator and water pump plus rear air shocks. Wed get something used and it would be worse off then what she has.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Like BC, you can add me to the list in running away from anything GM right now. My wife loves the look of the brand new Tahoes, but it’s the one time I have just repeatedly said “no”.

She’s going to end up with a Highlander, 4 Runner, Explorer, or Jeep Grand Cherokee L relatively soon. I wouldn’t be shocked if she pulled into the driveway with one any night. I’m still holding out hope that she will see the light and get a new F150 or Ram when their price tag is the same (or even cheaper) than anything else she’s looked at. We also travel some extremely rural areas in the winter that rarely see plows, and her new ride could then become the tow vehicle for further trips.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

It’s really to bad because the Tahoe is sharp. Has had exceptional service and is under 80k on the dash. Always driven nicely and very well maintained. Never hooked to a trailer. For the tranny to pop before 75k is horrible.
    My 16 ram went to hell and back, I didn’t not drive it nice. Always pulled trailers and romped on it all day every day like it was stolen. Had more hours on the lake and in the woods then it did the road. Never even had a hiccup.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Yeah the 6 speed trannies had some issues with the torque converter. I opted to get the upgraded one with a billet converter supposed to be much more reliable. Quite a bit more money though.

bzzsaw
    Participant
    Hudson, Wi

Bearcat,
    I pulled the pin on my GM vehicles in 2016. Had 3 Yukons and a couple pickups before them. They were too expensive for me to maintain. I’ve been driving a 2014 Pilot since. It pulls my boat fine (175 Alumicraft). I will be getting another Pilot when this one isn’t reliable anymore. It has 190K on it so it is getting close. My wife and daughters have CRVs (2014 and 2015). They have been very reliable so far (brakes and starter). They would be comparable to the Rav4. Needless to say, I’m a fan of the Honda’s now.

Coletrain27
    Participant

Parents had 2 rav4 rigs and now are on their 3rd pilot. The pilots seem like a nicer rig imo and they like them better than the rav4

Brad Dimond
    Participant

I have a 2013 Pilot with 110k miles. Brakes, tires, regular oil changes and it runs like a champ. Have not towed with it but would do so if needed. This one doesn’t owe me anything.

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Bc i see quite a few Rav’s and CR-v’s in our shop and not really any one issue stands out.Both good vehicles but i lean towards Toyota.I just prefer some things they do that Honda does a little a little different.

BB buy the Jeep and down the road you can put them on the list with GM.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I have a 2023 Rav 4 Hybrid on order. Placed the order for it in February and there is a 4-8 month wait. The salesman just called last week and said to expect it in August sometime.

Normally I do not buy brand new vehicles. I usually buy slightly used, but the used ones with 30k miles cost $4 grand more than a brand new one right now. I can wait a few months to save 4 grand and get a brand new one.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

The Tahoe is the last gm I will ever buy. Under 70k and the tranny went bye bye yesterday. Gm can suck on my butt, I will never own another unless it’s earlier then a 99.

100% my feelings too. My father and I both arrived at this same conclusion after we both had GMs crap out with miles that we consider way too low to be having these major issues. GM quality has not kept pace with GM prices. It used to be that you paid a premium for Honda and Toyota reliability, but due to the massive price runups on GM, that is no longer the case.

Dad got his brand new Toyota Highlander last week and loves it. I’ll be getting new Toyota soon.

Grouse

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Well Grouse to be fair you were also pulling a trailer with a skid steer with an Envoy LOL. The only GM vehicle that I have had thats been a headache is this 2012 Yukon Denali. Definitely wouldnt buy one of those.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Well Grouse to be fair you were also pulling a trailer with a skid steer with an Envoy LOL. The only GM vehicle that I have had thats been a headache is this 2012 Yukon Denali. Definitely wouldnt buy one of those.

It is no secret gm has gone way down hill. I don’t think it’s acceptable to be known for bad trannys and motors. Ram had garbage trans for years so they bailed and let some one else build them. It’s frustrating when major issues happen under 200k let alone under 100 or even 80k. Especially when its a common problem. And to have a 30k dollar vehicle with no Trans is bs.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I dont hear much issues with the newer model transmissions in GM vehicles. Yes, there were a lot of issues from like 2007 to about 2018, but I havent heard much if any recently. My new 10 speed is fantastic even though it was developed by Ford, but the calibration is better on GM LOL Lots of complaints on F150s with issues.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I dont hear much issues with the newer model transmissions in GM vehicles. Yes, there were a lot of issues from like 2007 to about 2018, but I havent heard much if any recently. My new 10 speed is fantastic even though it was developed by Ford, but the calibration is better on GM LOL Lots of complaints on F150s with issues.

Your new 10 speed should be Fantastic. It probably has less then 5000 Miles on it.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

6700 to be exact and I don’t even feel it shift. To write them for the issues they had for a decade I get but things have come a long way. I wouldn’t buy a vehicle in the mid 2000s thru later teens but now it’s different. I’m not in a place I need to buy used however. This truck is hands down the best vehicle I’ve ever owned and it’s not even remotely close and I’ve had some good ones. Multiple GM trucks with over 260k miles and no significant issues other than brakes and don’t me started on those because it was ridiculous.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I wouldn’t buy a vehicle in the mid 2000s thru later teens but now it’s different.

That’s the very definition of damning GM with faint praise. So what you’re saying is that GM was bloody awful for a 15-year period but they probably maybe might have gotten their sh1t together lately?

If I was one of those guys that bought a new vehicle every 4 years I might be willing to take a gamble that GM quality has somehow improved. Or at least improved enough that they can reliably last to 80 or 90,000 miles.

The problem is as it stands with the price of new cars there is just no way I’m going to take this gamble on an inferior product at the inflated prices GM is charging. Only then to hope that it actually lasts to 100 plus thousand miles.

GM has regressed to where they were back in the 1970s. Not in terms of quality but in terms of mindset. They know there are just tens of thousands of buyers out there who will drive nothing but GM and will remain loyal no matter how bad the quality gets. That’s what they’re counting on.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

That’s the very definition of damning GM with faint praise. So what you’re saying is that GM was bloody awful for a 15-year period but they probably maybe might have gotten their sh1t together lately?

Im just saying that during that time frame they had quite the list of issues with vehicles throughout the lineup. From Acadias/Traverse to quirky 8 speeds and 6 speeds in the midsize and full size trucks along with the AFM issues. I have not seen any of those issues in the last few years. At least not to the level they were reported before. During the pandemic GM actually had the highest quality rating of any domestic manufacturer.
    The dealer I bought my truck from has had 1 6.2 liter engine fail and it was bad from the factory. They are one of the largest GMC dealers in the country.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

i think the mere fact that we need to consider the last 4 years being mostly trouble free is an indication of the level of crap that manufactures are pushing out these days. IMO a vehicle shouldn’t even begin to be considered reliable until it reaches past the 100k/5 year mark. Saying a vehicle with less than 10k miles hasnt had any problems means nothing to me.

Im sure most of you know im a big Toyota fan and whats spelled out in this thread is why. Seems more are seeing the light.

For what its worth my Yukon XL is still the nicest vehicle ive ever driven and i really dont enjoy driving my Toyota that much, at least from an luxury standpoint, but i dont buy vehicles to be spoiled with luxury

My mom has a Rav4 . Other than backing it into the garage she hasnt had any issues in 80k miles

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

The second I can afford a truck, I’m going with a Tundra or Ram. I’m done with Ford. I like my Explorer a lot, but 3 tie rods, 2 bearings, 2 exhausts, a rear toe linkage that continuously breaks and is fixed under warranty, and now rust all within 5 years of owning it really sucks. I’d stick with Toyota and Honda like you are looking at Bearcat. My family has always owned Hondas and Toyotas and you barely have to touch them and they’ll last to 300k if you want them to.

I will say, the CRV’s I’ve ridden and driven, it’s not a great ride. Although that may be just that size class of vehicle.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

The second I can afford a truck, I’m going with a Tundra or Ram.

If you get a Tundra go with the older model V8. the turbo engines they moved over to this year have had some issues and will never be as reliable as the old V8.

The plan is to keep my Tundra for a long long time but if i ever crash it ill be switching to a RAM.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I like my Explorer a lot, but 3 tie rods, 2 bearings, 2 exhausts, a rear toe linkage that continuously breaks and is fixed under warranty, and now rust all within 5 years of owning it really sucks.

My boss has a 2019 Explorer that is in the shop more than it’s in his garage. His warranty(s) has paid for itself a few times over by now I’d guess.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.