Rattling in October?

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I was just curious, as I look at the clouds move in and the temperatures dropping in Eastern Iowa, if it was to early to start bringing the rattling antlers with me on my hunts? Has anyone had success pre-rut rattling for bucks in mid-October? Please let me know and how they were used and under what conditions, thanks!

Regards,

Steve

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve only had luck with small bucks rattling. I prefer a grunt tube and raking the ground. I did see a buck chasing a doe this morning, so it’s starting to pick up.

Nodakk

I had a trail camera picture of an 8 and a 6 fighting last week. Central MN

MX1825

My son captured 2 bucks fighting a week ago on his trail cam. This is in SW WI only 7 miles N of Ill border.

catmando
    wis

For me it’s the time to tickle the rattling horns, Last week of October is when I have had the best luck calling in different classes of bucks with real rattling. During the rut ,never had much luck rattling in a bigger buck,it’s not what they want.

WishIwasWiser

Opener I had two bucks fight in front of my stand and it was impressively quiet. Wasn’t really a fight, and they were younger deer. Quiet rattling did not produce bucks for me the last few weekends. Resting the place for a week or two. Then late October is gonna be on fire!

catmando
    wis

There’s a big difference between 2 bucks goofing around or calling it sparing, then an outright buck fight… When you see it you will know. DK.

Michael Best

I have sone success in mid October tickling antlers together. In 2009 I called in 5 bucks one morning on October 25th. Conditions were perfect. Cold front came through. Temps dipped down to upper 20’s and high pressure set in.

As far as rattling in bucks during the rut. I have had good success. Sure there are bucks that won’t respond but there are plenty of bucks that will. Both mature and youngsters.

I think the amount of does around makes a difference. In western Kansas the doe numbers are low so they will respond very well.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

My son captured 2 bucks fighting a week ago on his trail cam. This is in SW WI only 7 miles N of Ill border.

Nice! I grew up and hunt by dubuque which shouldn’t be far from where you are. You by Kieler or Dickeyville or Hazel Green? Or you not that far west? I went out tonight and there was a new scrape that wasn’t there this weekend when I shot my doe.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Now thru the 20th I may lightly (and shortly) touch the antlers together, more so just as an attention getter that carries farther than a grunt/bleat. After the 20th I will get more aggressive.

I don’t have an issue with rattling in a smaller buck, outside of it being an extra set of eyes it’s like a live decoy if a larger buck does come to investigate. Bigger buck seeing a subordinate where he just heard a fight going on is as close to a guarantee he will commit as there is in hunting. The last archery buck I killed was that very scenario.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been watching a few does getting chased around and few mature bucks fighting for the last 2-3 weeks. Month ago just young bucks sparring

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t have an issue with rattling in a smaller buck, outside of it being an extra set of eyes it’s like a live decoy if a larger buck does come to investigate. Bigger buck seeing a subordinate where he just heard a fight going on is as close to a guarantee he will commit as there is in hunting. The last archery buck I killed was that very scenario.

That is a good point! I haven’t even bought my bow tag yet, but I ground hunt and usually wait until these next few weeks before rifle opener to put in the time. Seems like every year fall gets busier and busier and my kids aren’t even in activities yet bawling

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.