any better luck than me?

• evan
    Participant
    knoxville, IA

Hello everyone im new to the website. Just wondering if anyone was on the lake this weekend, and how ya done I was out sat. for about 4hrs and only 1 walleye and a couple wipers i got tired of drifting worms and not catchin a thing so I trolled jointed #5 shad raps around south fork then i finally picked up my one and only walleye (12″er). I was in 15- 22 ft. and speed was around 2.6. I am new to this lake and fairly new to the walleye fishing also, does it sound like im on the right track? any help would be great. thanks and happy fishin.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Welcome Evinrude, its a good site here, lots of info.

big_head_basher
    Participant

15-22 fow seems to be way to deep tho be trolling #5 shap raps. i would try them a littl shallower next time like 8-10 fow or even 5-8. you should be able to fell them hitting off the bottom and then i like my shad wraps only hitting every so ofter just enough to know that your close to the bottom.

riverking
    Participant
    se iowa

i have been fishing rathbun seriously for about 2-3 years and you are on the right track. like the other poster’s said you need to be a little shallower with your cranks 10-15 FOW is a good range and try to fish the wind blown points and humps. go to colors for me have been firetiger and anything with green chartreuse. speed sounds about right and also try zig-zagging up to 8-9 FOW and out to 15-17 FOW and once you connect try staying in that depth. leeches have also worked for me at times when they were not biting on crawlers. also keep moving-if they are not biting in one particular area-MOVE to another likely spot. there are a multitude of points and underwater humps in rathbun try a couple new ones every time you go, you might be surprised! hope that helps a little.

evan
    Participant
    knoxville, IA

thanks for the help it just sounds like i need to be in a little less water. I just might have to take some vac. from work this week and next week. thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.