Anyone fished Rathbun lately?

• tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

Can anyone give me any report on rathbun. Im heading there for my annual crappie trip. I think this weather might make it tough going for them.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

This is probably more than a little late for your purposes, but a guy told me he was at Rathbun for 3 days recently and got SKUNKED. He couldn’t believe it, because he fishes Rathbun often and is a troller, which is the way to go down there according to conventional wisdom. IS THIS A COMMON EXPERIENCE? Hard to believe that the big lake is that bad. We all know there a walleyes in there. What’s the latest? There must be a few internet users in Southern Iowa, speak up tell us how good or bad it is down there.

herb
    6ft under

Going to try to get over there in the next week or so. If I do, I’ll give a reprot when I get back. Haven’t been there for a year and a half but I don’t think I’ve missed much from what I’ve heard. DNR report says the cats are biting and the eyes are taking crawlers drifted over the rock points. But it’s the same report 4 weeks in a row.

3way
    eastern iowa.

wow, what’s up with lake rathbun. looks like no one is fishing there anymore or they aren’t telling anyone. maybe things will pick up when the ice man shows.

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

A buddy of mine fished Rathbun this weekend. He said he had an hour wait to use one of the free ramps.He did well on the crappies fishing brush piles. A dozen 10-12inches.Throwing tubes.

3way
    eastern iowa.

glad to hear there is some activity going. not sure which ramps are free and which are not. seems like we always used the bridgeview ramps. is the lake at normal pool this spring so far. seems to always be better fishing when its 14’above normal. rathbun is over due for some big slabs being caught. its a fun place except when the wind is howling. thanks for the report, can’t wait to give it try again, no one from my group wanted to go back. the crappie sizes were discouraging our group from returning.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.