Rainy Lake Sept 4th – 11th

• Fishski85
    Participant

Just arrived in Rainy Lake at Island View Lodge for a week-long trip. Fishing Walleye and Pike with a group of 4. This is our second year, last year we came about 2 weeks earlier in Aug. We learned the reefs and humps on the US side and have been as far as Blue Berry Island. This year the Canadian side is open to us but we’re unfamiliar.

Any tips are greatly appreciated? Especially looking for locations for walleye on the Canadian side and tips for big pike!

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

I assume you have your Canadian license? Graph the reefs and if you mark big fish they will be Pike. Troll for them.

Fishski85
    Participant

Yes, Canadian licenses for the whole team. We’re ready, just unadvised.

Fishski85
    Participant

We got out for a few hours this evening with no luck. Water was rough, too choppy for open water reefs.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Is the whole crew in one boat?

There is a recent thread here that mentions a reef just as you come out of the Brule Narrows on the East side. I’ve also done well there on occasion. It’s a bonus that you have the Canadian license for that area. Give it a try, just watch the wind. Don’t get caught out in the open.

There is a string of reefs on your left as you are running from the resort towards the Brule. I would guess they are a couple of miles from the resort. I saw quite a few boats there before the wind kicked up today. I know those boats were fishing Walleyes but would be worth checking out for Pike as long as you are going by there.

Good luck.

Fishski85
    Participant

2 boats for the 4 of us.

Thanks for the tips!

Fishski85
    Participant

Had a great day today! Guide took us North into Canada, first 4 walleyes were 20+ inches, caught about 65 for the day, the best was a healthy 25 inches! One real nice Pike at 35 inches. All were much thicker than the fish we caught a few weeks earlier in the year on the US side last year, nice fat bellies!

Fishski85
    Participant

forgot to mention that the guide added another 10-12 fish of his own!

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Sounds like a good time! Glad you got a great guide.

Fishski85
    Participant

Ryan was a fantastic guide!

Fishski85
    Participant

Second day up at Steamboat Shoal on the North part of the lake wasn’t as productive. Fishing was much tougher yesterday, only caught about half as many fish but we did catch several over 20 inches and one at 25 1/4.

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

Second day up at Steamboat Shoal on the North part of the lake wasn’t as productive. Fishing was much tougher yesterday, only caught about half as many fish but we did catch several over 20 inches and one at 25 1/4.

That’s a bit of a run to make it all the way to Steamboat. Are you willing to share depths? Paperwork willing I’ll be around that area by Sunday.

Fishski85
    Participant

Yesterday we took extra 5g gas tanks and drove all the way up to Steamboat Shoal again on our own. Fishing was tough and the weather rolled in on us a couple of times, but we ended up with a dozen or so fish by the end of the day.

We’re fishing on reefs at 30-40 ft of water, on the open water side or wherever we mark’em. Fish are picky this year, one day they’ll only hit crawlers and no minnows, the next only green jigs and nothing else, the next only gold jigs…once you find the right pattern you can cath’em though. My pops has 10 walleye over 20 inches and 2 walleye over 25 inches in 4.5 days.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.