Rainy Lake 7/31-8/6

• John Noyes

My son and I just fished Rainy for the past week for first time. Stayed at Island View Lodge. We mostly targeted smallies and pike, little bit of walleye fishing. Didn’t know what to expect but Fishing was decent. Caught some nice evening walleye on large reefs west of Brule, as well as a fair amount of small sauger mixed in. Strictly used bottom bouncers, slow trolled with minnows; crawlers did not produce for us. Spent most of our time smallie and pike fishing. West of Brule caught most smallies and pike in small coves adjacent to big water. Bigger pike and smallies east of the Brule Narrows. East of Brule Found most sallies 3′-8′ rocky flats with wind blowing over adjacent to big water. These bass were 8″-16″ range. Jerk baits and lipless cranks in some form of chrome were the bait to use. Bigger bass had to drop shot in the deeper water in front of the flats off the big water; 12′-20′ water. Some sallies off wind blown points as well as pike. Most pike in bays and along island and reef shorelines further off the big water. We boated and released well over 250 fish; a lot of short strikes and lost fish.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nice report John, sounds like you had fun! applause

David G

Thanks John. Good report. My wife and I are heading up for the first time in two weeks. Staying at Thunderbird. Fingers crossed.

John Noyes

Good Luck David! Also to clarify, The Brule Narrows themselves offered some great smallie and pike fishing with all the structure present.

David G

Good to know. Again. Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.