Rain gutters

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I need to replace / extend the rain gutters on my house. I know I can do the DIY Menards way but was hoping for something better, like seamless. When I google it I don’t see too many options in the Southern metro area. I am also wondering what people think about some of the fancy gutter options that are out there. I have no problem getting up and cleaning out my gutters since it is only a single level ranch style home. It takes 15 min with the leaf blower. The front gutter is 86’ with a 3’ L. The back is 110’ straight.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I will send you my uncles number. He is the gutter guy. Easy to deal with and does fantastic work. I wouldn’t bother doing it your self because having gutters hung is cheap enough any ways. And you will want them hung before we pour that driveway

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I used to hang em many years ago.
    When people asked me what I did for a living I would tell them I was a
    Hydro Diverter Engineer. smile

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I did some myself 10 years ago when I bought my current house. Looking back on it, I think I would hire someone to do it now. The gutters are fine but where there is a turn and I have a connection point, it leaks. I’ve tried patching it more than once, but it still drips.

Reef W

If you do want to do it yourself you can still get seamless. I used this company: http://seamlessgutterdelivery.com/

They just make them in your yard however you want them. I don’t know how you do 110′ though unless it’s two or three sections. I could do 35′ with two people no problem but much longer and you’d need more people.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

And you will want them hung before we pour that driveway

That’s why I am looking now. toast And I need to get the drain in since that will be under the driveway.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Gutters for entire house was under 1500 bucks. That’s cheap enough to not worry about doing them my self. Get to cheap and your just asking for headaches. Just like gimruis said. He installed a leaky gutter. But saved 400 bucks

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i had my house i currently still live in built in 1979, they told me then gutters where a thing of the past????

to prevent this rain gully in my lawn i landscaped it with crushed granite a foot beyond the end of the soffits!!!!!!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d hire someone. You aren’t going to save thousands and it will be done the right way.

Be sure they are sized accordingly to your roof, and be sure your downspouts get it well away from your house. It’s crazy how many people have gutters that take the water from a large portion of their roof and dump it within a few feet of their foundation. In some cases that can be worse than not having gutters at all.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

i had my house i currently still live in built in 1979, they told me then gutters where a thing of the past????

to prevent this rain gully in my lawn i landscaped it with crushed granite a foot beyond the end of the soffits!!!!!!

Water is the main problem. Kills the foundation and destroys everything under a slab. 95 percent of concrete we repour is on houses with no gutters

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Water is the main problem. Kills the foundation and destroys everything under a slab. 95 percent of concrete we repour is on houses with no gutters

i can see that! so far so good though……i do have a wood foundation. right now i’m shoveling the built up snow ot away from the house to help!!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

You should be out about five bucks a running foot.

Make it 9, I’ve been outta the game for too long

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Give Fox Gutter a call

I had them installed with the gutter guard.
    Professional company/sale/install

They look great and work even better

https://www.fox-guard.com/

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just text you Dave’s contact information.

CaptainMusky

A gutter guard is really nice. I had them installed when I had my gutters installed. Sure nice not to ever clean them. My neighbors bitch all the time about their clogged gutters and I tell them to get the gutter covers and they say its too much. It wasnt that much at all.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Valley Seamless did my house and garage last fall, and they did a good job. My parents went with Fox Guard and they were happy as well. Both would be good options.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I didn’t see it mentioned above, but go big. I see a number of the budget builders around here trying to save 100-300 on using the small crap and tiny downs. They clog so easy and can over flow in heavy rains. Additionally more ice in winter is more weight and more opportunity for failure

CaptainMusky

I didn’t see it mentioned above, but go big. I see a number of the budget builders around here trying to save 100-300 on using the small crap and tiny downs. They clog so easy and can over flow in heavy rains. Additionally more ice in winter is more weight and more opportunity for failure

Especially considering he has one run that is 110 feet. That’s a doozy for sure.

stout93
    Becker MN

Go Seamless for sure.

Paid $900 a few years ago for a single story.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Go Seamless for sure.

Paid $900 a few years ago for a single story.

Gutters are incredibly affordable. I never understood why people don’t put them on

Snake ii’s

Spend more to have 5-6″ gutters installed. I had the roofing company upgrade me when they re-roofed the house.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just like gimruis said. He installed a leaky gutter. But saved 400 bucks

Technically it leaks on the grass, not the concrete, but I still did make a poor initial decision on that one.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

what do you folks do about all of the snow and ice that pack the gutters in the winter time?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

what do you folks do about all of the snow and ice that pack the gutters in the winter time?

I use a roof rake to remove the snow from the edge of the roof in the winter.

As far as ice build up, I think there are some “heated pucks” you can put in your gutters to prevent ice problems. I haven’t used one though.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>phishingruven wrote:</div>

I use a roof rake to remove the snow from the edge of the roof in the winter.

As far as ice build up, I think there are some “heated pucks” you can put in your gutters to prevent ice problems. I haven’t used one though.

does the snow get packed into the gutters as you are removing the snow with the roof rake? what about the corners where there is a valley of two roof meeting? shingles or metal roof? im just curious as i would like to get gutters, but we got A LOT of snow and i have metal roof

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

does the snow get packed into the gutters as you are removing the snow with the roof rake? what about the corners where there is a valley of two roof meeting? shingles or metal roof?

My gutters have covers on them to prevent leaves from getting in them, so the snow does not pack into them. I have a shingled roof.

The front of my house faces south, so as soon as I get a portion of the roof in front cleared with dark shingles exposed, the sun does the rest. The back of the house that faces north takes a lot longer to melt all the snow.

CaptainMusky

The one issue I have with the gutter covers I have is if I do not shovel the edge of the roof, the snow will lay on there and then when melting starts water will run over the top of the gutters.

Hey

I replaced gutters on my house 3 years ago. Did the front not seamless to save money myself and the back seamless cause I didn’t have a ladder high enough.

With the weather today my back gutters are flawless and my front self installed are leaking.

I Should have hired out seamless for the whole house.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Flex Seal works perfect for this application

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Just like gimruis said. He installed a leaky gutter. But saved 400 bucks

Technically it leaks on the grass, not the concrete, but I still did make a poor initial decision on that one.

What product did you try patching it with ? Did you take the corner off and caulk the entire thing then reassemble

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.