Radio interference with accessory plug use

• Stanley

I have a 22 comp fsx 185 and got it out today to break in the motor. I had the radio on and went to plug in my trolling motor remote to charge it in the 12v outlet and the radio went all staticky. Took the plug out and radio came back on, put the plug in and static again. Could it be wired to same circuit causing this? Any other thoughts?

Ron F
    Rochester MN

I have heard it’s very common for cheap 12v plug USB adapters to cause large amounts of radio frequency interference. They will even interfere with the signal from your car tire’s TPMS causing false warnings lights on your dashboard.

Maybe try a different USB adapter if you can or consider charging your remote from a portable battery pack. Perhaps a decent permanently mounted USB outlet would be better behaved but I’d want to test it out before installing it.

Karry Kyllo

It happens in my work truck when charging my cell phone also.

Stanley

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try a different USB adapter. I used the one that came with the trolling motor remote. I also have a separate USB only for the radio that I used to charge the remote without issue. Just thought it was odd with the radio since I haven’t experienced that before.

Stanley

I tried a different USB adapter and the interference went away. Thanks again for the help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.