Just ordered a 193 with 200 Merc, which is due Feb. I’ve got a few questions and hope the experience of you folks will help me. Thanks in advance….
1. Carpet – my unit comes with snap in carpet. My dealer is recommending that I do not have the snaps installed in the floor as they may break off causing problems, and he says the snaps are uncomfortable on your feet when the carpet is not installed. What is your experience / recommendations.
2. Kicker – I am not ordering it with a kicker, but will install one soon after purchase. I’m considering a tiller type, without remote controls. In my previous boat I simply locked the kicker in place, set the speed, and steered with my TM. I’m looking to do the same. I Plan to provide fuel from the spare connection on the water separator. And concerns with this idea? Any recommendations?
3. Kicker tilt/trim – tell me about manual vs. ele. start, and power tilt-trim. Are these functions available on a tiller without remote controls. Do I need either or both? On my previous boat I had to lean over the rear transom to lift the kicker. I’ll be 64 and this concerns me. Would electric start be powered off starting battery? Ideas/ recommendations appreciated.
4. Electronics – will be installed after delivery. I’m leaning toward Garmin. I’ve been told that shoot-thru-the-hull transducers offer advantages of marking at higher speed without problems of getting knocked around. Airmar model ??? was the unit recommended.
Thoughts on this set up?
5. Transducer board – should I have one installed for future purposes?
6. Marine radio & antenna – where should these be mounted? I’m looking at 8’ antenna, or can I get away with shorter?
7. What am I missing? This is my retirement boat and my last one. Previous boat was 18’6” Starcraft.
I realize there’s a lot here. If you think a phone call would be better I can provide my number. Thanks to all. Mike.