Question for the Walleye Experts

• PikeFishman
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Ok, so at first glance this may appear a dumb question (it did to me when I thunk it up). I have been looking at most of my crankbaits and lures in general and have noticed they all have a very nice paint job on the tip 1/2 to 2/3 of the bait but the bottom of the baits are very basic with white, silvers and gold on most. It would seem to me that you’d want to paint the bottom of the lure with a matching scheme to the top. I know that their forage (perch, shiners, etc…) have a similar color pattern with white or solver bellies so maybe I answered my own question but I’m sure others on here will have an opinion too. Now here’s my question, as walleyes eyes are on the top of their head and they (in theory) feed on bait above them why are lures painted this way?

Like I said, potentially a dumb question but for some reason has me dumb-founded (easy to do) and I’m curious to hear other people’s thoughts on this.

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

My best guess or theory would have to be a mix of most other fish have a white belly so I think it matches. Also it could be harder to paint. good question, im curious to see what other people think.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Most minnows and frogs, etc are darker on the top or back and lighter on the belly. Just matching the hatch really. If you compare backs and sides to bellies the most definitive patterns are on the flanks and the same with cranks. Backs and bellies have little in the way of scale patterns or lines or brighter colors.

tom hopkins
    Participant

I believe it is to match the hatch also. Almost every creature I can think of that lives under water other than a turtle has a light belly and dark back. Water is dark to look at and the sky is bright. Over time evolution had tuned it that way. Now the fancy paint on the side of lures is to attract fisherman. Lol. I hear it works

PikeFishman
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I believe it is to match the hatch also. Almost every creature I can think of that lives under water other than a turtle has a light belly and dark back. Water is dark to look at and the sky is bright. Over time evolution had tuned it that way. Now the fancy paint on the side of lures is to attract fisherman. Lol. I hear it works

Tom – that is exactly what I am getting at. What is the purpose of the fancy paint jobs if they in fact only see the underbelly of their prey prior to mealtime?

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

They follow cranks a lot of times before hitting. I think this is where color patterns make the Big difference. Ever threw the motor in neutral and had one smack it? Or taken a turn and had one go off? I’ve had many eyes follow a crank all the way to the boat when casting.

I think general colors get their attention sometimes, and the right color pattern gets them to commit when things are tough and they just swim behind a bait.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson, WI

The bait isn’t always directly above the fish. From a distance the sides show. Also as a crank wobbles the colors on the sides show and create that flash which differs depending on it’s color. I also believe it’s the contrast in the lighter bottom and colored sides that makes the bait more visible underwater.

As far as the color of the bottom, I’ve had days when the most bites came on certain bottom colors – some days it was cranks with some yellow on the bottom, some days white, some with a splash of orange or red.

I’ve also noticed that I don’t see fish below me but when fish dart at my presentation and turn that’s when I see the flash off their scales and from the contrast of their light bellies.

Secondly, the colors get the buyers attention. I’m guessing you could get similar results buying a white crank and have your kids color it with markers leaving the bellies white but that bait likely wouldn’t look good enough to attract a buyer.

Ty Kennedy
    Participant

I’ve always wanted to experiment with flipping the colors. Fish have dark backs to help them blend in with the background when viewed from the top and white bellies to blend in with the sky when viewed from below. Switching the colors ie white back and dark belly might not be a bad idea just to increase contrast if you’re up for painting them.

Tom P.
    Participant
    Whitehall Wi.

I will never say color does not matter but to me it is the action and sound that gets the most response and color can maybe close the deal. Some days one particular bait will get hammered and an exact copy will not buy a bite, evidently exact is not a good choice of words but you get the drift.

I like to look at it more light colors clear water dark colors dark or stained water, dirty water a hard action.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I can’t believe BK hasn’t piped in yet??! coffee

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.