Purchase that has disappointed you most

• 3rdtryguy
    Participant
    Central Mn

Another indicator I’m old, my x5 was a Lowrance LCD graph. I replaced my Humminbird paper graph with it.

Justin riegel
    Participant

Humminbird Helix 7 and Lithium shuttle. Can’t use because can’t get an ice transducer for it. It sits there burning a hole in my soul.

Just sold my ice ducer for $400 on ebay. If I ice again this year I will just use the marcum lx 5. Crazy someone would pay that for a ducer.

Yellow Fever
    Participant
    Kingston Ontario

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Yellow Fever wrote:</div>
    My Xi5…worst POS i ever had, come to think of it both Motor Guide were junk

I thought the same,until I replaced the GPS module assembly.Then it was perfect.Only sold it to go to 24V,which is an Ulterra.Ulterra could be a semi-POS,it was in the shop twice.1st was the steering module got very noisy,2nd was that it popped the belt while stowing.Nothing’s perfect I reckon.

I had everything replaced on that Xi5, still junk I had the Ulterra and while good the steering motor is very noisy, had it replaced twice and both replacements were the same. Makes it tough casting for walleye in 3 feet of water with that head spinning all around. It worked great for trolling. I just switched to the Ghost

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

I had everything replaced on that Xi5, still junk I had the Ulterra and while good the steering motor is very noisy, had it replaced twice and both replacements were the same. Makes it tough casting for walleye in 3 feet of water with that head spinning all around. It worked great for trolling. I just switched to the Ghost

Minnkota’s latest generation has some serious moisture issues in their steering housing. I’ve replaced the bearings in my terrova twice in 2 years. The “seals” supposedly sealing off the steering housing are laughable. The terrova and ulterra steering housings are virtually the same too. The ulterra has an extra motor inside for the lift mechanism.

The motor is generally good, the steering housing is a total joke.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Tickets to today’s packer game woot

Beast
    Participant

Any Season ticket hoilder to Vikings game any year for 49 years. hah

catmando
    Participant
    wis

PinPoint 2700 trolling motor, took the damn thing off the boat and put it right in a dumpster working. Now the 7520 finder is great. I have just about all the top-of-the-line panfish ice rods… My favorite is an IceBlue light 48 inches with 2 1/4 cut-off. Snap Raps nope. any smaller handheld Garmin GPS , have to have Eagles eyes just read that small screen. Oh styrofoam, minnow buckets, only the good Lord knows how many I bought. I could think of more but my fingers are tired. DK.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

i bought like a dozen shiners for $20 on ML a few years ago. never got bit in 2 days…..disappointed to say the least.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Any Season ticket hoilder to Vikings game any year for 49 years. hah

oh James, hope you are coping well after today. stay away from sharp hooks/blades.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Bamboo pillows off a infomercial one late night

Matthew Sandys
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matthew Sandys wrote:</div>
    Humminbird Helix 7 and Lithium shuttle. Can’t use because can’t get an ice transducer for it. It sits there burning a hole in my soul.

Just sold my ice ducer for $400 on ebay. If I ice again this year I will just use the marcum lx 5. Crazy someone would pay that for a ducer.

Good for you. I kept a vex so can still fish. Just need to wait it out.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Pretty much every bow or transom mount electric t-motor made 1995 and earlier. Both Motorguide and Minnkota. Expensive by today’s standards and junk after a season or two.

After watching John Thielen today I was reminded how much I dislike Cotton Cordel Wally Divers. Never had any luck with those cranks. hah I’m mailing all of mine to John next week!

-J.

Yellow Fever
    Participant
    Kingston Ontario

Minnkota’s latest generation has some serious moisture issues in their steering housing. I’ve replaced the bearings in my terrova twice in 2 years. The “seals” supposedly sealing off the steering housing are laughable. The terrova and ulterra steering housings are virtually the same too. The ulterra has an extra motor inside for the lift mechanism.

The motor is generally good, the steering housing is a total joke.

It could use some improvement

Morel King
    Participant
    PLAINVIEW MN

Jason Mitchell edition clam one man flip over , the tub got a nice crack in it almost right away from dragging it over snow covers rocks it’s probably twice as hard to tug around now that it plows snow

mojogunter
    Participant

Stryker gloves lasted about 40 minutes before a seam popped apart. Ego landing net biggest cheap POS. Good for pan fish at best, maybe. Not a big fan of my ulterra when it breaks over and over. It has been working now without an issue for 9 months now.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I bought a pair of Redhead brand hunting boots from Bass Pro about 5 years ago. The first year they were awesome. Extremely comfortable, waterproof, etc. By the second season, they were already leaking and my feet would get wet after every hunt. I’ll never make that mistake again. I am sticking with Rockys.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Participant
    Eastern SD

Jason Mitchell Clam shack and the Otter tool used for putting in stakes for a hub shack….weld on it broke after 2 stakes.

Joe
    Participant

13 freefall, probably works great if you fish with 1/4oz jigs. 3mm jigs not so much. Aside from not working as well as advertised with light jigs, it just feels like a cheap pos for $70. Spool wobbles etc. Sold it after 1 day.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

13 freefall, probably works great if you fish with 1/4oz jigs. 3mm jigs not so much. Aside from not working as well as advertised with light jigs, it just feels like a cheap pos for $70. Spool wobbles etc. Sold it after 1 day.

I’ll go with any inline. I’ve tried many of them from Frabill, Clam, 13, CGI and Piscifun. All had the same drawbacks…no audible drag and would lock up when cold, prompting you to pull on the line. When doing so, the ice breaks free and your reel is spinning uncontrollably, giving you a rats nest.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

My Xi5…worst POS i ever had, come to think of it both Motor Guide were junk

I have had an Xi5 since they came out. The first motor came and there was something wrong with it because the second I plugged it in it went on full power and I couldnt turn off unless I unplugged it. They sent me a replacement and I received in like 2 days and its been great. I have heard that people have had issues with more recent ones, but I love my Xi5. It has an occasional glitch when the head spins but its not very often.

Dan Baker
    Participant

I agree with the everyone who has said underwater cameras. I have bought two, because I didn’t learn my lesson the first time, and have sold both of them. They were fine cameras, but I almost exclusivley fish in the evening and after dark when the kids get to bed and the cameras are basically worthless at that point.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

i bought like a dozen shiners for $20 on ML a few years ago. never got bit in 2 days…..disappointed to say the least.

Should have bought suckers instead. jester

Stanley
    Participant

I bought a pair of Redhead brand hunting boots from Bass Pro about 5 years ago. The first year they were awesome. Extremely comfortable, waterproof, etc. By the second season, they were already leaking and my feet would get wet after every hunt. I’ll never make that mistake again. I am sticking with Rockys.

I had the same issue except with Rockys. Contacted them and since they were discontinued they wouldn’t do anything, haven’t bought Rockys since and now buy Danner or LaCrosse.

mnfisherman18
    Participant

– Anything Redhead branded

– Early Clam Pop-up would snap a different pole every time I went out (I do think their quality is far better now, just fished in one that was nice this weekend)

– 7′ muskie rod right before 9’+ rods became popular

– Polaris 550 Fan snowmobile lost compression way sooner than it should have and never had much power to begin with

– Cheap boots (does not matter which brand). Learned to buy quality and keep them for 10 years.

tim hurley
    Participant

How about a stupid purchase followed by a stupid response (bonus!)
    Bought a gas weed whip, was overkill for our suburban lawn, and was too loud.
    So I gave it to my next door neighbor, so I was back to listening to that da** thing!

maddogg
    Participant

2017 Arctic Cat Prowler SxS
    Bought it without a lot of knowledge on SxS’s. Love AC snowmobiles, and know their SxS had a workhorse reputation (it definitely seemed to be a workhorse). But holy cow was that thing LOUD! Couldn’t even enjoy driving it but thought that’s just how SxS’s were. Felt bad giving the kids rides in it because I was damaging their hearing(even with a helmet on). Few people I knew had Rangers and I’d get sick to my stomach every time I rode in one because you could actually talk to the people in the machine. Pays to do a lot of research … lesson learned the hard way. Can’t believe they even sold something so loud. Fortunately, I was able to flip it for what I paid for it less that a year later and got into a Ranger right before the chaos of supply shortages took over. Understand why there are very few AC SxS’s running around now. At the time I assumed no one wanted to get rid of theirs because they were such solid machines.

I used to ride with an bunch of Yamaha guys who had expansion chambers instead of mufflers. Your right about the noise. When we would stop at a stop sign they would pull their sleds on their side and rev the he** out of them to keep them from fouling out.

Bob Schultz
    Participant
    Wausau,Wi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    -Havalon Knife:

I don’t use it a lot, so maybe I just haven’t go there yet, but I haven’t had any issue with my Gerber Vital version of this. I haven’t used the Havalon personally but heard it’s easier to change blades on the Gerber too.

How do the blades stay in your Gerber Vital? Mine fall out about twice a minute when I’m trying to skin with it.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

How about a stupid purchase followed by a stupid response (bonus!)
    Bought a gas weed whip, was overkill for our suburban lawn, and was too loud.
    So I gave it to my next door neighbor, so I was back to listening to that da** thing!

You wouldn’t like the yz 250 then. Luckily my neighbors are great and love noise

RVRDUX
    Participant
    Dakota, MN

2019 Ford F-250 gasser. The biggest dog of a tow vehicle I ever owned. Not to mention the death wobble that almost killed me a couple of times going down the interstate. Sold it last summer for more than I paid and got my AT4 with the 6.2. Now that is a towing beast.

Rapala DT’s. After a few eyes the bills fall off.

RVRDUX

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.