Pulling live bait on P4 – spinners chubs ect

• isu22andy

Curious on when / why others will elect to pull bottom bouncers with a crawler harness rig or slow death vs pulling crank baits ? Ive also heard grumblings of pulling creek chubs in the fall and summer – again , what makes this more practical or deadly tactic vs standard leadcoring cranks ? As Ive understood , above 60 degree water temp usually cranking , below blades , colder yet plastics ect.

Ive played with crawler harness’s on Pepin in the dog days of summer but all I could attract was drum and dink walleyes. Pulling creek chubs sounds interesting due to the size of fish I feel like it would attract .

Its cold af outside , might as well see if I can learn something . Any live bait guys care to share some knowledge ? Ready to be on open water again .

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I’m only speaking for myself but when I fish live bait I’m typically targeting fewer bites but larger fish. This is especially true come post-spawn when fish want a lazy meal. Another factor is size of a spot where it wouldn’t be conducive to make long trolling runs.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m tuned in to hear responses and learn as well. Good topic with tons of opinions.

I can tell you that if the water temps are over 60, I’m generally pulling cranks on Pool 4. There are probably better ways to go about things with tons of better anglers on here than I will ever be…but it’s a confidence thing and it allows me to cover water. When you are pulling 3 or 4 cranks at 3mph you can really cover and eliminate water in a hurry. Keep in mind I’m definitely babysitting lines and constantly tinkering/adjusting. I also cannot stand to “beg” fish to bite. My philosophy is that I’d rather cover water and run into pods of fish than beg the same ones to bite for a long time or in crowded/community spots.

I pull bottom bouncers with a crawler harness when I’m fishing an area that I know has fish and may not be as conducive to a longer run like mentioned by Tom. On days where the weather is cooler than average early summer I will do it as well (early – mid May) if marking fish that won’t hit cranks.
    I run crawler harnesses if I am just looking for action with kids on board who want fish of any kind (drum, perch, pike, eyes, sauger, turtles, carp, channel cats, bluegills, buffalo, and whatever else I’ve ran into on them). Any application involving crawlers generally gets action.

shockers
    Rochester

I hear ya. I’m really missing my boat right about now.

Anyway….I usually pull bottom bouncers with crawlers on Pool 4 from roughly May into August. At least for me it’s more of a warmer water bite, though you can catch fish on crawlers and bottom bouncers anytime of year. I have in the past pulled minnows on bottom bouncers in colder water – that can work fine too.

I will say I have shifted more toward plastics with dubuque or just plain jig in as I learn more about river fishing. But I love bottom bouncer fishing. Grew up fishing bouncers on Lake Sakakawea so I just have more confidence in that. Cranks will certainly catch you more fish at times, and sometimes I pull cranks. But to be honest, I find crank fishing incredibly boring. That’s just me/my opinion. I’m clearly in the minority there cuz seems like most guys pull the cranks in summer.

only other ‘advice’ i’d provide on bouncers on Pool 4…don’t ignore shallow water, as in 10 feet or less.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Good point on the shallow stuff. My most productive bottom bouncer outings have been on some of the lake points up shallow with around 60 degree water temps early summer/late spring. I think this bite is more likely to produce bigger fish than cranks, while cranks is more of a numbers game

isu22andy

All great reply’s . For anyone that answers that pulls creek chubs – what kinda rigging are you using ?

I have the same mindset as Bucky I’d rather boat a bunch then mess around changing tactics and lures 10 times .

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

All great reply’s . For anyone that answers that pulls creek chubs – what kinda rigging are you using ?

I have the same mindset as Bucky I’d rather boat a bunch then mess around changing tactics and lures 10 times .

If I’m moving with creek chubs it’s a 3 way with roughly 8-12” dropper and 2-3’ leader. If I’m sitting in one spot, I use an egg sinker or no roll sinker and a 12-24” leader.

Ripjiggen

Simplest answer as I do all three often is fish moods and locations. Fish spread out not feeding use reaction presentation like crank baits. Also covers more water quicker. Fish grouped up tighter in certain structure slow down and work the structure more accurately. Rigging. Spinners is basically in between.
    Many factors of why use a certain tactic but that is the simplest answer.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

More from a P2 perspective since I don’t get to 4 as often but rarely pull live bait. If I’m running crawlers it’s pitching them to spots. Will also pitch chubs and suckers to specific spots.

I’ve found on both pools when I’m trolling to cover water it’s mid summer and alot of numbers but small fish. I’d prefer to hit spots and look for bigger fish. A lot of big cranks in the summer worked really fast on structure. Some times some short trolling runs across specific spots but never with live bait.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.