Minocqua Area Report 6-5/6-6

• jake47
    WI

Sorry this is a little delayed, but work and family have taken up all my free time since I have been back.

Overall, the fishing was pretty decent in the Northwoods. We caught just about every species of fish, with the exception of muskies. Not a lot of size to all of the species, but we did get to keep a variety of fish.

Thursday 6/5 A.M.

Started out on a local lake fishing for walleyes. We checked several spots until about 8 am with no luck. We then set up just off a pencil reed bed and proceeded to catch about 18 keeper panfish, with a lot of small ones mixed in. At about 10:30 we switched up to fishing a shallow bay with good weed growth to try and hook up with some northerns. I had fished some similar cover in years past and knew they sometimes held walleyes. So I opted to throw a jig and paddletail swimbait and just worked it slightly above the weeds. In the first 30 minutes I landed 4 pike and had 1 break my line. Then I hooked up with a good fish that got me hung up in the weeds. As I brought it to the surface, we all got a glimpse of the white-tipped tail and everyone scrambled to action to make sure we landed her. She ended up measuring 26″ and we guessed around 7# based upon how thick she was. It is my best WI walleye ever so I was pretty pumped. She was released to be caught (or speared ) by someone else in the future ! In 12+ years of heading to the Northwoods, my previous PB had been 20 or 21″.

Thursday 6/5 P.M.

We hit up a small local lake in search of large panfish. While we didn’t find any of the big ones we were looking for, we did manage 2 for the pan as well as 2 keeper walleyes.

Friday 6/6 A.M.

Stayed in the cabin til about 7 a.m. because the radar looked like rain and strong storms headed our way. It never happened , so we headed out in search of panfish. We ended up getting a couple keepers along with tons of little fish, and a lot of LMB in the 10-15″ range.

Friday 6/6 PM

Headed back to the lake where I got the big walleye in search of more like her. We tried the weed bed but the conditions were cloudy and breezy (unlike sunny and calm Thursday AM) and we only managed 1 northern on a jig and minnow. Then we tried some humps that often hold walleyes and only caught one smallie on a slipbobber/leech combo. We again moved and located some structure on top of a hump that appeared to be holding fish. So we set up shop there and proceeded to catch 3 walleyes in the 13.5″-15″ range over the next 1.5 hours. 1 came on a slipbobber/minnow rig and the other 2 came on a 4″ paddletail swimbait.

It was a pretty good trip and it was very cool to see Door County from the air as the sun was going down. Can’t wait to be back up there

little-t
    Plymouth WI

Saweet!! Sounds like an awesome trip!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

That’s a nice eye. Congrats.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.