Provia Siding and windows

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Anybody know anything about siding and windows? I have 3 bids here and upon comparison, this is the middle bid. I like the guy who bid it, and of course all 3 of them are saying they use the best materials. I have never heard of provia before, and wondering where it ranks on quality vs certainteed mainstreet.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I would ask for Pella, Jeld-Wen or Alside Windows as they are made by people in Iowa

walleyevision

Had a Provia front entry door put in and it was well made. Sorry, can’t help on windows though.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ll stick my neck out so ya’ll can cut smash it off.

My first comment is all vinyl, aluminum and steel siding is made to allow water and weather shock to get behind it.

So why would you go that route? ???

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

My construction knowledge is about 0… what would you do Denny? The only other option I can think of is a log cabin or sod hut.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Never heard of Provia.
    Certianteed has always done a pretty good job with there vinyl panel.
    Mainstreet being .042 it’s a middle of the road.

Smart side is very good and comes with a good factory finish.

Hardie, I wouldn’t put on my doghouse.

Denny, I agree with your statement.
    That’s why the weather barrier is even more important then the cladding. Product and installation. There is actually an inspection for that in some municipalities prior to installing any exterior veneer.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

What is your issue with cement board siding?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It cracks easy, it’s heavy and sags, it delaminates.
    Hardi – in particular will not stand by it’s warranty if you can actually pin down that moving target.
    Other Fibre cement siding manufacturers have pulled their products from market due to catastrophic failures which have led to class action lawsuits.

Hardi at one time due to there actually spectacular advertising campaign owned the market 10 years ago. Now not so much.
    LP Smart side is the way to go.

Cement board also to a hit when the silica rules went into affect.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

Been siding since I was in high school over twelve years ago still doing it to this day, mostly new construction I agree with everything said about vinyl and steel they are designed more to let water in and drain out so best to use a nice house wrap and tape any holes this applies with any siding.Totally agree with eelpout on hardie i also wouldn’t put it on my doghouse it looks nice but its main flaw in my opinion it does crack when you nail it then it’s mainly the caulk that holds it together in the end and it’s heavy it’s not installer friendly the dust is terrible and known to cause cancer Honestly I’d say 9 out of 10 houses we do are lp smart side. Certainteed mainstreets not a bad choice if your going with vinyl , we’ve used a lot of edco steel in the past also not a bad product majority of windows I see in houses we do are Pella brand good luck with your decision lots of options

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.