Property Tax Increases

• jimmysiewert
    Participant

Just curious how other county property taxes are rising for 2022. I and my neighbors were/are shocked here in Wabasha County(MN) of receiving a 19% – 30% increase individually over 2021.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Did they increase the property tax or did they property just increase in value?

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Wabasha County issued a statement saying the tax calculation was incorrect. It is nowhere near that type of increase. New statements will be sent. I believe the decimal point was 2 spaces off.

Kevin Yopp
    Participant

Here in Itasca Co., Homestead credits down, valuation up and as a result taxes jumped. Sux.

jimmysiewert
    Participant

Property values did increase, but not to the extent the percentage of property value went up. I hope definitely that there was a typo buckybadger!

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Carver County has been pretty level for a long time, my current home hasn’t fluctuated more than $600/year since 2007 and is actually going down about $300 this year.

munchy
    Participant
    NULL

They raised my property value almost 40k(to 410k), however they are still almost 250k low on the actual property value. So I’m not going to complain.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Up 31% on Mille Lacs County lake cabin property. smash

-J.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Here in Itasca Co., Homestead credits down, valuation up and as a result taxes jumped. Sux.

same here. Cabin value went up $16,600 and tax bill went up $158.00 from last year.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

I was pleasantly surprised with our notices. Home valuation went up a bit and total tax actually went down about 1.5%. applause Cabin valuation is up, taxes increased about 3%. Definitely better than the last few years.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Property values did increase, but not to the extent the percentage of property value went up. I hope definitely that there was a typo buckybadger!

If you are a social media person (or know someone who is and can show you), they shared something about it on the City of Wabasha Facebook page I believe. It’s a complete mistake.

DaveB
    Participant
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Up 85% in Dakota County, but that went from an empty lot to a finished home, so maybe I dont have much to offer here!

coffee

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jimmysiewert wrote:</div>

If you are a social media person (or know someone who is and can show you), they shared something about it on the City of Wabasha Facebook page I believe. It’s a complete mistake.

Attachments:
    1. 260659192_4437036649742895_467941413947093575_n.png

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Carver County has been pretty level for a long time, my current home hasn’t fluctuated more than $600/year since 2007 and is actually going down about $300 this year.

my uncle is a finance guy. told me one time that carver county is the most fiscally responsible county in the state and has been for a long time

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

just got my notices for the hunting property in st louis county. went up around 17%. Actual dollar amount was about $60 grin

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

This conversation is a very good example of why local elected officials can some times impact a person’s life greatly. I’m not going to say they impact it more so than the federal level because things like trade policies or foreign policy is hard to compare with levies, property taxes, or city ordinances, but people tend to get caught up in Trump/Biden, Trump/Clinton, or whoever, and look past the fact that your more local leaders or school boards can affect the very reason this thread was started.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

…..and look past the fact that your more local leaders or school boards can affect the very reason this thread was started.

Can’t vote in elections where you don’t reside. And counties with a lot of cabin/vacation/hunting property know it. coffee These tax increase get pushed through with little to no resistance from the locals who benefit from the increases most.

-J.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

My home property taxes went down by about $120 here in The posh section of ultra-exclusive Maplewood. Valuation is up about 18%, but this won’t include my new garage so we’ll get hit for that next year I’m sure.

My hunting property in Pine Country went up about $100 due to a very small valuation increase.

As note, make sure you are looking at the right number on your statement before you go all Pitchfork Nation on social media. My neighbor was OUTRAGED that his taxes were going up 18%. He was mistaking assessed value increase for the amount taxes were going up. Or in his case, down actually. I have seen this on social media as well, people saying their taxes went up 25% when that was the value increase.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Our local school district has kept things flat or (within a percentage or so) for nearly a decade. It’s quite impressive and appreciated to see the Superintendent balance the budget and be proactive yet responsible managing improvement projects.

The city and county here are a different story. Our city and county have some real nice equipment and aren’t afraid to push taxpayers for more. A couple years ago I stopped a member of the local county’s crew from mowing about 30′ into my property along the road…note this was 30′ BEYOND the road right of way. He had to have close to an hour of labor + operating costs into mowing my land in his air conditioned cab. The city is coordinating some new effort with Xcel to add a city tax of some sort onto electric bills in the coming months. Note that there’s already an absurd tax for street lights, curb and gutter, etc. when there wasn’t a streetlight within a 1/4 mile of our old house. I couldn’t be happier to NOT live on the edge of the city limits now. We originally debated hanging onto that house as a rental property, but ultimately the rapid tax increases can be someone else’s burden now.

jimmysiewert
    Participant

As note, make sure you are looking at the right number on your statement before you go all Pitchfork Nation on social media. My neighbor was OUTRAGED that his taxes were going up 18%. He was mistaking assessed value increase for the amount taxes were going up. Or in his case, down actually. I have seen this on social media as well, people saying their taxes went up 25% when that was the value increase.
    [/quote]

Totally agree TheFamousGrouse. I have it correct for sure and reached out to my county commissioner. I struggle with the increase in valuation of the house (that is not bad thing), which then drives additional revenue to the county itself – but no allocation of the increased funds can be given. With these types of increases the county’s coffers should be flush with additional revenue – but with that there should be accountability and fiscal responsibility with how the overall economy and strain on individuals are affected as of late.

Deuces
    Participant

In Minneapolis even if your taxes went up you can apply for a refund. SMH

My area has seen the largest increases, thank you gentrification. It’s a bittersweet.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

Can’t vote in elections where you don’t reside. And counties with a lot of cabin/vacation/hunting property know it. These tax increase get pushed through with little to no resistance from the locals who benefit from the increases most.

Yeah good point, I hadn’t considered that situation.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jimmysiewert wrote:</div>

We owned 2 homes and acreage when this initial statement was sent out. My jaw nearly hit the floor. It showed a 28% increase in what the school district was levying (which would be illegal without the required hearings and a referendum), when in reality I believe they asked for a 0.28% increase. Locally here it has been the city and county that have pushed things to the brink. The local school district has kept their rate flat within a couple % points for ~12 years which is pretty impressive and appreciated.

Jim Stoeckel
    Participant
    Above the clouds.

Ours went up 30.9% in Cass County. Assessed value went up by almost 1/3 with no improvements.

tindall
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

Ours went up 3.4%. Honestly, it seems they just keep arbitrarily tinkering with the assessed value of our house to keep the actual paid amount from going up too little or too much each year.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

My home in Dakota, Cabin in Cass both went up minimally and as Munchy stated a bit short of actual value.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Mine is going up 11% for 2022. Its a homestead property in Hennepin County. Its a steep increase, but the value of my property has skyrocketed recently so there’s not much I can do.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Same with EPG and TFG, my home in Dakota went up just over 3 digits…I can’t complain. The listed value is significantly less than actual value, but rising.

EPG, I’m still doing my part at bringing your property values down each day of the Goose season…make it sound like a war zone in your backyard!

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Ever since the day I bought my house the property taxes have gone up. Why would it skip a year?

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

my uncle is a finance guy. told me one time that carver county is the most fiscally responsible county in the state and has been for a long time

I hear that a lot, and appreciate it. It also helps that Carver County has the highest median property tax rate, which is largely due to the relatively (to other metro counties) low population, and very high value properties skewing the median. For comparison, our old home in St. Paul was roughly 10% higher tax rate than we pay in Carver county.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.