Problem

• Mike
    Participant

Well, it’s been 1 month 3 weeks since I posted here with excitement with my new 193 with a 200 v6. Since then it’s been total problems. At 4.5 hours my smart gauge indicated a problem with starboard ignition. Further details indicated the coil failed.

The dealer ordered new coils, but Merc is unable to provide them. We are told these are back ordered. Interestingly, they are available through Amazon. Merc CS will not provide me any additional information and says it’s a matter between my dealer and their representative. I believe my dealer is trying to secure the coils, but Merc is the issue.

Firstly I’m disappointed the part failed at 4.5 hours, secondly that Merc does not adequately stock products, thirdly that they will not pull a part for a built motor while they continue to sell these new ones, and finally they will not extend my warranty period for the time spent waiting for their repair parts. I’m not impressed with MERC and could not recommend purchasing one based in their motors or their service.

Mike.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Interestingly, they are available through Amazon

Just because you see it available on Amazon, does not mean they actually have something in stock.

You could try and order the part. I’d guess you will get an email within 24 hours saying the item is back ordered.

Supply chain issues will be around for a long time…..

-J.

Mike
    Participant

The context of my post was the problem(s) with Merc., not Amazon.

Adam Steffes
    Participant

I couldn’t get oil drain plug seals for the lower unit or the engine oil last year. Had to search all over to find some that would actually ship. I almost sold some to the local bass pro boat center because they could not get them and they had reverted to sucking out engine oil for customer oil changes. I can imagine something a bit more unique like a coil might be downright impossible

AWJ Dad
    Participant
    NULL

I have a similar issue with my last mercury, ignition coil was bad right from the factory. At least at that time there were plenty of parts around.

onestout
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Is Merc not going to warranty it? What they are doing us the same as any OEM, and not just in the marine world. In case you didn’t know global supply can’t keep up with demand.

Scott Gergen
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Is Merc not going to warranty it? What they are doing us the same as any OEM, and not just in the marine world. In case you didn’t know global supply can’t keep up with demand.

What the OP is upset about is his motor failing at 4.5h and now being stuck with no boat at the start of soft water season. I can’t say as I blame him. It would be frustrating to be told that the part is on back-order to an owner when, presumably, they are using the same part to build new motors not yet sold.

In the meantime, his new rig sits on the trailer as he watches the Spring fishing season go by. Yep, I get his frustration.

Scott

grizzly
    Participant
    nebraska

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

What the OP is upset about is his motor failing at 4.5h and now being stuck with no boat at the start of soft water season. I can’t say as I blame him. It would be frustrating to be told that the part is on back-order to an owner when, presumably, they are using the same part to build new motors not yet sold.

In the meantime, his new rig sits on the trailer as he watches the Spring fishing season go by. Yep, I get his frustration.

Scott

X 2. I would be pissed

bullcans
    Participant
    Northfield MN

What about just getting the part from Amazon and then be a pain in the ars if needed with Merc until they reimburse you for it?

I would be ticked off too but this suggestion might be an option in the meantime to get you running?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.