Pro4 lite issue

• joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Just got this auger the beginning of January…the first 4-5 times out it worked just awesome..the last 2 times out it just doesn’t want to run..you just pull pull and pull and it will run for about a second between pulls and then die..hold the throttle open while pulling and it will run a little longer but won’t open up then dies again..very frustrating to say the least..the tank was over half full one time and completely full the other time. Temps were not even that cold 10-25 degrees. If anyone has a number to contact jiffy service I will gladly take it. Thanks. Oh yea and I’ve only ran the Coleman tanks through this auger.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

Tank brand? There was just a post here last week and the general consensus was that Coleman tanks work best in them.

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

There has to a fleck of debris in the fuel delivery the so-called infamous orifice.

shamus
    Inactive

My first couple times out with mine were ok, but then I had some issues with it stalling out as soon as I’d start cutting a hole. It would cut, but I had to be nice to it (hold it back) in order for it to cut through with out stalling. Switched tanks from one cheapo tank to the next cheapo tank thinking that might be the issue, but it did the same thing. Then all of a sudden my last time out it ran like a champ on the same cheapo tank. Weird. I’ll be putting a coleman tank on the next time out, but definitely cautious in my optimism that what ever issue it was having worked itself out. If not I’ll be calling 800-344-0712 for warranty service (got mine in January too).

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack your thread or anything, but I’m experiencing some issues as well. You’re not alone. Good luck

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

Had a hard time starting was told they get condensation in the fuel line I’m adding Seafoam and hope all goes well

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

How do you add sea foam to a propane powered auger?

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I’ve only used COLEMAN fuel since new.. I did a test tonight..brought the auger in side and let it get nice and warm and she fired up on 2nd pull like it did when it was brand new. Took it outside and let the motor warm up for a couple minutes and jacked the throttle and it ran great no problems.. So I guess I can only use it on sunny days when it’s about 65-70 degrees out. Maybe I can take it out on the boat with me this summer and drill some holes!!! flame I will be calling jiffy!! Guess I should went with an Eskimo or Strikemaster!

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

Joe, how do you store it at home? Heated or unheated area, cylinder attached or off? If in unheated area that can go from freezing to above freezing you could get condensation in line if no cylinder is connected.

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

In the garage no heat. I leave the tank on it.. I know when I call jiffy they will have me take it in and have it checked out and then they will tell me it’s all good cause they will be running it in a heated shop. The last time I checked I thought ice fishing was in cold weather.. Then why can’t they make it run good in cold weather????

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Funny thing if you read the small print on a COLEMAN tank…surprise surprise made by WORTHINGTON!!

shamus
    Inactive

For what it’s worth, I had experience with a Pro 4 for the last two years before buying my P4Lite and I can say that the P4 never had an issue running in the cold including last winter in some very cold weather. I used it all last winter, b/c my buddy that owned it wasn’t able to ice fish last year so he let me use his. Now, I did always store it in my pickup, which was stored in a heated garage, with tank on. I haven’t been out in the extreme cold yet with my new P4Lite.

critterhouse 75
    Participant
    western wisconsin

There is set screw on the carb, adjust in the cold after being stored in cold, mine starts on second pull always with no throttle now.

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

Sorry to imply that you add seafoam to propane but I have the Pro 4 lite 4-stroke, they are exactly the same except the fuel. When you guys were talking about Colman tanks I was scratching my head. I experienced the same problems when I’d take the auger in at night then head out into really cold weather

“How do you add sea foam to a propane powered auger?”

sand-burr
    Participant
    Grasston, MN

If it runs inside when warm and not in the cold it sure sounds like condensation to me. Take the tank off and bring it and dry out. Maybe take the inlet hose off when drying.

joe_the_fisher
    Participant
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Chomps.. You must have the 4G lite correct?? 4 Stroke gas??

Geerdes
    Participant
    Brandon, SD 57005

Have used a Jiffy for 4 years and always used Coleman fuel. I have never had a problem with it starting are running. It has set outside for days and has been inside in the heat and never had a problem. I would recommend this auger to anyone. Hopefully it is just some minor issue. I am thinkin about getting a lite propane, but may have to reconsider. The regular Jiffy propane runs like a champ and drills like nobody’s business. It is heavy, but runs great and doesn’ leak gas.

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

“Chomps.. You must have the 4G lite correct?? 4 Stroke gas??”

That’s the one, did a quick splash of gas with Seafoam and adjusted the carb screw so it wasn’t spinning like crazy at start up, running better than new. It sure tears through the ice

Michael Burcusa
    Participant
    Saint Louis Park

Are you talking about the hex-nut screw? I was thinking that that that was the choke control, but could never find a labeled picture. Mine too has troubles starting, but if I open the throttle full, it will start. I then need to run it for a bit before drilling so that it won’t stall. Would love to be able to open the chock a bit for better starts and idling. Is it standard, turn clockwise to open?

Thanks

chomps
    Participant
    Sioux City IA

mine was a fine phillips, not sure which direction I went, was wrong way first, then went the other way and she idled right down.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.