Preventing creek erosion

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

I have a creek towards the back of my property that comes out of a spring fed pond. About 10 years ago, the city tied in some storm sewers into it. After heavy down pours its flow/volume increases tremendously from a trickle of water a few inches deep to many feet/second with depths of 12-18 inches. It has eroded significant portions of my bank.
    I’m looking at solutions to this erosion. My neighbor put in rock of various sizes, but it doesn’t need to be that “pretty” just effective.
    I’m thinking of taking steel roofing panels, ripping them in half lengthwise and bolting them to metal stakes with fender washers on both sides of the steel panel.
    Length of creek to be worked is ~120 feet with 2 straight sections making up 80 of that and then an “S” curve the last 40 feet.

Attachments:
    1. metal-stake-scaled.jpg

CaptainMusky

That would probably work if that is something you have laying around. Personally I like the rock idea since its more visually appealing but that is just me.

duh queen

If the city’s rerouting of storm sewer runoff is causing the damage, one would think that they would, or should, be willing to assist in mitigating the damage.
    In any event, avoid the sheet metal. It’ll be gone with the next flood. Rocks (big ones!) stones, bricks, etc will do the job. Anything heavy. Wood, sheet metal, poly, etc, are all too light to be of use. Even staked.
    Contact the city and explain the situation. If they resist, contact an attny.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I have some of the metal stakes but otherwise everything would need to be purchased. This area is in a strip of woods and is not visible unless you walk up to it. Doesn’t need a very high “eye appeal” factor.
    My neighbor told me they are still getting some erosion even with the rock.

CaptainMusky

If the city’s rerouting of storm sewer runoff is causing the damage, one would think that they would, or should, be willing to assist in mitigating the damage.

100%

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If it’s your forever home I wouldn’t put in something I will hate looking at moving forward. So either rocks or planting the bank with willows and other vegetation.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

The city knows about the issue. The creek is designated as a runoff stream or something like that. The city has 10-15 feet right-of-way on either side. My fence (installed by a previous owner) is in the right-of-way. When my neighbor contacted the city, the city said this project would be way down the priority list. I can contact them again to see where on the list this creek is now.

topshotta

Your county’s Soil and Water Conservation District office may be able to help out with designing and installing a vegetated buffer of shrubs, native grasses, etc. That would be cheaper than rock and may hold up better than the fence option. In our county they offer cost-sharing $ for projects like this for shoreland owners

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.