Predicting Cabela's will be gone by year end

• blackbay
    Participant
    mn

I just got the Cabela’s BPS 2021 master catalog in the mail today. I’d say Cabela’s is all but gone now. The cover doesn’t even say BPS/Cabela’s anymore. It’s only says BPS. The only Cabela’s gear in the catalog is what I expect to be old stock, or stock branded a long time ago that they are trying to get rid of.

john23
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

On the bright side, I ordered something from BPS today and it’s already shipped and expected for delivery on Thursday. Whenever I ordered from Cabela’s in the past it would take a week+ to arrive.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

11 days ago on a Friday I ordered 2 items from Cabelas with regular shipping. One arrived the next day and the other on the following Monday. shock

dirk-w.
    Participant
    Minnesota

I’ll continue to beat the dead horse. My last order 3 days ago went like this:
    1. Face book has an ad for Cabelas jeans – $16. 97 or something like that. Hit the ad and it takes me to Cabelas. The price is 20$. Bait and switch but still a good price. I order 3 pair.
    2. Big game solar – they carry only 15 lb test. Pass on this yearly order for the second year in a row. Looking for 25lb.
    3. Ordered some bobbers.
    4. Wanted a few Rippn raps. Out of stock in the size I need.
    5. Just before placing the order it keeps on changing my jean quantity. Weird, but I finally get it right.
    5. Today – Just got a notice that the jeans I ordered are out of stock and the order has been cancelled. They dont know when they will be back in stock so they are not back orderable.

My order from them last spring was equally frustrating, but in different ways. Yup, the Cabelas I grew up with is gone forever.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’d say Cabela’s is all but gone now.

I did see that the Cabelas brand “Advanced Angler” and “Fish Eagle” we re-branded BPS. Guide Wear next? Relegated to the last page of the catalog….

-J.

mrpike1973
    Participant

Ordered a rod and reel today. 2 times I asked if my 10% code was on yep, Nope had to call back and get a refund for the 10%. Not one time have I ordered over the phone without an issue. If it’s BPS no issues ever.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Cabelas Guidewear arrow arrow arrow arrow Bass Pro Shops 100MPH ???

Not saying the BPS suit isn’t good, but I know Guidewear is!!

dirk-w.
    Participant
    Minnesota

“5. Today – Just got a notice that the jeans I ordered are out of stock and the order has been cancelled. They dont know when they will be back in stock so they are not back orderable.”

Update this morning – the jeans that were ordered early this week but cancelled by Cabelas because they were out of stock and not backorderable, are suddenly back in stock and you can buy them. Truely amazing in a bad, bad way shock .

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Send them a reply….No thanks I went to Scheels.

flatfish
    Participant
    Rochester, MN

As James said, “talk about dismayed & depressed”!
    I grew up in western Nebraska and remember Dick & Jim’s store in Sidney. Going down the steps and at the bottom was a barrel with fishing rods that they took back, but repaired, hence; the ‘Bargain Barrel’, soon to become the bargain bin. Then they moved upstairs in that building, and the lower level became the ‘bargain cave’.
    If a kid came in with their parent, Dick & Jim made sure the kid left with something, even if it was a bobber! I will always miss what they once were!

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

I have my doubts how BPS succeeds here in walleye country. Store was packed yesterday in Owatonna. Still in February and they about cleared out their ice fishing gear already

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Just received the “GET OUT ON THE WATER!” flier. No Cabela’s products in it that I could find. cry

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Amazingly, Cabela’s Retail store brand is still alive here is 2022. (Retail Store signage in MN)

Looking through the 2022 BPS master catalog over the weekend. Everything Cabela’s is now branded Bass Pro. Even the Guidewear! So that got me thinking. When will the Cabela’s Retail store dump the signage and switch over to Bass Pro? I’m guessing before year end. Probably sooner?

hah Probably should just call the Woodbury store “Redhead Outlet”

-J.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I was at the Cabelas in Rogers on Saturday. I bought some Guidewear Lite. They had a fair mount of that discounted 100 mph bass pro rain gear. It’s a bit too heavy for my liking though, even the uninsulated stuff.

Walked through the fishing tackle aisles and the ammo area. Fishing tackle is fully stocked. 15 aisles of it. Ammo was in pretty good shape too, although the price is significantly higher than it used to be.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

JJ, I received a BPS ’22 Master catalog last week too!

I bet it’s been 10 years since I got my last one. (or the FW tosses them out before I could see them ) )

Charles
    Participant

Always like Rogers store awesome selection of tackle right now.

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

I’m kinda with the minority here. When I go to Woodbury location they are fully stocked where FF, ( no more gander in lakeville) have nothing. Won’t shop at Dicks anymore and really not an online guy. Prices for what I buy are not that far off in my opinion. I will continue to buy lures and line as I can find them but not much else there. Was at Scheels last week, not nearly the inventory of Cabeleas and over HALF the stuff had no price tag on it. What I found for price was the same as I saw at Cabelas ( Scheels did have more ammo though) Bought really nice Pelican case at Cabelas for the rifle with the nice metal, butterfly closures for $ 99 earlier this year – must have just been good timing….. ( and for the record, spent 20 year as a wedding photographer – Pelican case for my equipment (( $5,000 worth in that case)) and NOTHING could harm it. Threw it around, people stood on it as a stool, took abuse beyond belief and nothing ever broke – Pelican Rocks)

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I was at the Cabelas in Rogers on Saturday. I bought some Guidewear Lite. They had a fair mount of that discounted 100 mph bass pro rain gear. It’s a bit too heavy for my liking though, even the uninsulated stuff.

Walked through the fishing tackle aisles and the ammo area. Fishing tackle is fully stocked. 15 aisles of it. Ammo was in pretty good shape too, although the price is significantly higher than it used to be.

Hope they don’t pull the warranty bs with you that have have with me. Everything I have cabelas brand is not backed any more. It’s up to some 17 year old kid behind the counter to tell me that I abused the brand new boots that have been worn 2 times and that’s why they leak. Oh and my waiters only leak because they were abused. The first time I ever wore them.
    I would never buy another product from them with there house brand name on them. What a joke.

mojogunter
    Participant

I just got an email for delta skymiles shopping that cabela’s earns 9 miles per $1 spent and Bass Pro gets 10 miles per $1. Too bad I don’t need anything today. Last year I did take advantage of the same promotion and spent $1500 on a 1042xsv and got 15k air miles.

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

It does kind of seem like the writing is on the wall for Cabela’s. I hope that Bass Pro keeps the Cabela’s brand alive but it’s out of my control. I’ve really enjoyed shopping at Cabela’s over the years and while I know the store hasn’t been perfect, I’ll be a Cabela’s customer until the end of the Cabela’s brand if in fact that happens. I still buy quite alot at Cabela’s and it’s always the first online store that I check when looking for fishing related products. I’m probably somewhat partial because I live near a Cabela’s store so even if I do have to buy online because it’s not available in the store, I always get products delivered to the store to avoid any shipping charges.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ll be a Cabela’s customer until the end of the Cabela’s brand if in fact that happens.

I believe this has in fact already happened. Nothing made in 2022 and on will be Cabelas. All BPS/Redhead.

-J.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

It does kind of seem like the writing is on the wall for Cabela’s. I hope that Bass Pro keeps the Cabela’s brand alive but it’s out of my control. I’ve really enjoyed shopping at Cabela’s over the years and while I know the store hasn’t been perfect, I’ll be a Cabela’s customer until the end of the Cabela’s brand if in fact that happens. I still buy quite alot at Cabela’s and it’s always the first online store that I check when looking for fishing related products. I’m probably somewhat partial because I live near a Cabela’s store so even if I do have to buy online because it’s not available in the store, I always get products delivered to the store to avoid any shipping charges.

At one point of my life everything I had was cabelas brand. Not any more. Them backing the products was worth gold. Now it’s just a thing of the past

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

I got the big thick catalog too. Looked at the fly fishing pages, both of them. Junk. There was a time when you could walk into Woodbury Cabelas and talk to Ray and get great advice. And you were surrounded by some decent gear too. That was then, I’m afraid. As time goes by I find fewer and fewer reasons to go to Cabelas.

SR

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

At one point of my life everything I had was cabelas brand. Not any more. Them backing the products was worth gold. Now it’s just a thing of the past

I agree, at one point I had a fair mount of their brand name gear too. Their warranty on their own line of products was awesome. Bring it back, no questions asked.

Obviously the takeover by Bass Pro changed this and they won’t back any of the Cabelas stuff anymore. It’s an unfortunate result of their business change.

They really do have a massive amount of tackle though, and their inventory at least at this time is very good.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I’ll buy tackle from them any time. We have no tackle stores near me. Ff never has anything. I go to Thorne bros often or Rodgers cabelas for tackle. But in the last 2 years I haven’t bought much for tackle. I have so much. I l9ve tackle warehouse but hate ordering baits online

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Karry Kyllo wrote:</div>
    I’ll be a Cabela’s customer until the end of the Cabela’s brand if in fact that happens.

I believe this has in fact already happened. Nothing made in 2022 and on will be Cabelas. All BPS/Redhead.

-J.

I think I read that someplace but does that include rods, tackle, accessories, etc., etc. or just clothing?

Coletrain27
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Karry Kyllo wrote:</div>

-J.

Me and my son were just at cabelas in owatonna today and they still had cabelas clothing and hats ???

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I think I read that someplace but does that include rods, tackle, accessories, etc., etc. or just clothing?

Everything.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Me and my son were just at cabelas in owatonna today and they still had cabelas clothing and hats ???

I would expect clothing to still be available in stores. Well, until the sign on the store comes down…. smash

Not buying anything Cabelas from the 2022 catalog.

-J.

stevenoak
    Participant

I helped my brother move to Springfield Missouri in the early 70s. Jonny Morris built the first Bass Pro with a loan from his father. Prior he had tackle in his dads Brown Derby liquor stores. His dad held every liquor store license in town. Red Head I believe was the first company he bought. Red head made quality clothing in the USA. Whoop off over seas. He’s still milking that brand name. So, for what he paid, I think he will milk Cabelas’ till the name is pure trashed. If I can’t find something in a small business, I go to Scheels. Haven’t ordered from BPS or Cabelas since before the sale. Helped my brother redo his boat in Springfield this spring. We stopped by BPS looking for a Ram Mount we couldn’t find in town anyplace else. The Rapalas I use were $1more than my buddies bait shop, and $2 more than Scheels. And the selection sucked. Last time in Cabelas I wanted 10# Trilene XL, any color. Some husky Jerks and Cabelas exclusive New Balance shoes, some other basics. I came out with one of the 2 pair of shoes and told my wife to go buy clothes till she burned up all my points. Then cut up my card. Think there are still points there. Fleet Farm is getting closer. But still almost 2 hours away. Wish for the money some retailers have made off working Americans. They would start to promote American made products. L.L. Bean for a while had catalogs with Made in the USA highlighted items, but that didn’t last. Sure due to lack of interest in paying a little more

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.