Predicted "ice out" date for Waubay?

• FryDog62
    Participant

With the warming temperatures predicted, does anyone have an approximate ice out date for Waubay and surrounding lakes?

rippinlips0414
    Participant
    Aberdeen, SD

I would predict that this weekend might be the last weekend for ice fishing around here in NE South Dakota. The next 10-15 day forecast is calling for rising temps of upper 40’s to low 50’s with the lows not going below freezing. I would think the accesses and shorelines will be giving out soon or by the weekend of the 13th for sure. Best of luck!!!!

FryDog62
    Participant

Thanks rip, I need to make a trip that way to visit family and would like to drag the boat along. Any way to monitor or check in on water temp once the ice is gone?

Jeffrey Trapp
    Participant
    Milbank, SD

I’d assume if you post here you will get a quick reply. Around 2 feet of ice around Waubay area. It was supposed to warm up this week when looking at the weather a few weeks ago but it hasn’t done that yet. I would agree with rippinlips…the weekend of the 13th will MAYBE be foot traffic if we get the temps we are forecasted for at the moment. If you come the weekend of Easter I would say you will be for sure on open water and maybe an extra day or two to fish! That being said I’m fairly certain the weekend of the 20th will also be open water as well.

FryDog62
    Participant

Good to know…thank you. Ideally I’d shoot to make a trip over about a week after ice out or when the water temps get into the high 40’s or above…

Tom McMullen
    Participant

Same question as last year… how much ice is currently on Waubay & when do you think the ice will be off? I’m itching for some softwater fishing.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Participant
    Milbank, SD

Tom I would say we will be ice fishing until the second weekend in March for walking traffic. The bigger lakes will probably open up completely around the end of March.

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Hey FryDog– I hit up Bitter last spring and we have some guys going to Waubay this year at the end of April. Are the big girls still hitting at that time of year or do they go into a post spawn lull?

Primary target is walleyes but I’ve read a few things about smallies as well… And, we have a few guys that like to chase those too. Are there any special tactics that you use for lake smallies?

arcticm1000
    Participant
    New Richmond, WI

This was from the area a couple of years ago and I am pretty sure it was the end of April when they shot it.

Check out this on You Tube: “Post-Spawn Walleye Tactics – Shallow Water Stickbaits” In Depth Outdoors TV Season 9, Episode 22

huskerdu
    Participant

I think every one is getting the boat itch!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.