Finishing Touches

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Putting some camo on the last few components of my coyote slayer. Good rainy day project.

c_hof
    Participant
    New Richmond, WI

Looks good Kooty.

flatlandfowler
    Participant
    SC/SW MN

Looks like you have perfected the art man

Since you have obviously been shopping around and ordering these types of supplies, what do you think it would cost a guy to do an AR-15? Would a DIY project like that only work for stocks and fore grips, or could you DIY a barrel and receiver without mucking things up? Always looked intriguing, but I haven’t looked into what it would take to actually do it for a coyote rifle.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

That is gonna look sweet when its all done!

kooty
    Keymaster

Here it is.

sauger
    Participant
    Hastings ,MN

That is frickin bad azz! You should do your daughter’s Bike too! Lol what would it cost for you to do my drum set???

kooty
    Keymaster

Realistically, the cost is peanuts for the materials. I can see why the professional shops get so much money. It’s all labor and prep work. I’ve found working with the snow camo is the easiest so far. I’ve sanded and re-dipped my shotgun at least 4 times. Every time I’ll get it almost perfect except one spot or something odd will happen. For me, it’s a good enough for who it’s for. This rifle in particular is a “beat” around gun. The Savage Axis price point along with the Whitetail Classic scope were easy on the budget.

At this point, I couldn’t do this for anyone else. However, if anyone wants to come to my garage and “learn” with me, you are more than welcome! I’ll buy the beers.

I’ve been buying my supplies from this guy. He has been great about answering my stupid questions.

Dip Kits

kooty
    Keymaster

I have a DVD I could send you also. However, I used youtube and trial and error mostly. The key I’ve found is using the products that promote adhesion to synthetics etc… I get all that from the reference above.

BTW, welcome to IDO Hunting!! Any other questions, let me know. It’s a cool/fun hobby.

flatlandfowler
    Participant
    SC/SW MN

Looks great Kooty! I have often thought about trying to DIY dip some guns and eventually dip an AR for coyote hunting. Maybe have to pick your brain some time when the time comes. Nice work again

kooty
    Keymaster

I’ll answer whatever I can for you guys.

When I first started this last winter, I was surprised by how little info there was out there for the layman. No forums to speak of. Well, none that had any significant traffic. Now I see businesses popping up all over the place. If anyone wants a good recommendation for a quality shop, let me know. I’ve got a guy out in Montana that I trust.

Jon Stevens
    Participant
    Northfield, Wi

My brother had his fender flares and window deflectors dipped in snow camo by a guy who lives close to me. They turned out awesome. The guy has contracts with lots of big companys but still takes in small stuff. When I stopped to pick up the fender flares we shot the breeze for well over an hour. He is going to dip my brothers rims next. Great guy, great product. With the amount of Mathews and Strother risers and libs he had in the shop I would guess they feel he does a good job too.
    http://www.rahoffer.com/

Jon Stevens
    Participant
    Northfield, Wi

Finished product

deertracker
    Participant

@waterfowler
    I went back to this post to pull up the link for where you buy your products and the link doesn’t work. Do you remember the companies name?
    DT

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.