Prairie Lake Grand Rapids MN

• rushcreek

Team IDO….I have the opportunity to hang out on Prairie Lake for a few days in July. Just looking for any info on the quality of fishing. The latest DNR survey does not look real promising as far as the fishing goes. This is primarily a family trip with 2 young kids. Just want to make sure I’m not headed to the dead sea. Thanks in advance.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’ve fished it a few times. My buddy has a cabin on Prairie Lake on the north end. Fishing can be tough.. I’ve caught a few small Pike through out the lake and some bass on Lower Prairie right outside the channel connecting the two. There are fish out there, and I’ve seen some pictures of some decent eyes (23-26″) caught by my buddy and his family. But, it can be a tough bite. Especially in July when the water is so warm. I wouldn’t say its a dead sea, but it isn’t great. Cover some water and give it a go. The lake and scenery are a huge plus! It’s beautiful around there. The channel between the 2 lakes is pretty cool to go through too!

red bricks
    Mpls, MN

I gave it a solid effort last year for a day. Primarily searching for crappies but ended up trolling for pike because I couldn’t find any pan fish. I did catch a few pike, one decent, trolling with cranks basically in a gravely rocky area straight out from the public landing. Its a pretty shallow lake. I couldn’t find any patterns at all. You are in the heart of great fishing lakes within minutes of there, if you can trailer a boat.

rushcreek

I appreciate the info. Just going by the DNR lake survey it looks like small panfish and hammer handle pike. And that is OK, the kids don’t mind what they catch. I will be able to trailer the boat, so I’ve been eyeballing spider lake just to the north. I always like trying out new waters.

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

There are some nice crappies caught through the ice on Praire. So they are in there if you can find them.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Team IDO….I have the opportunity to hang out on Prairie Lake for a few days in July. Just looking for any info on the quality of fishing. The latest DNR survey does not look real promising as far as the fishing goes. This is primarily a family trip with 2 young kids. Just want to make sure I’m not headed to the dead sea. Thanks in advance.

I live 6 miles from Prairie. It is my go to lake for eaters. At least it used to be. It’s a popular community lake with a few community holes that EVERYBODY hammers for gills and crappie. Nine time out of ten you can scratch out some decent 9″ crappie for a fry (but they are usually on the thinner side compared to what other lakes produce). It has some nice gills if you can find them. A few small pockets of better crappie (better for prairie) if you can find them. Walleye are flat out tough to find and catch consistently. Pike are stunted. It’s a fun lake for sure. I just wouldn’t go looking for trophies. However as you know, if your on Prairie, you are in the heart of lake country and have hundreds of options available to you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.