Powder coating traps

• Gilgetter

I am gonna add some new traps to the lineup. I wanted to try to e-coat them. I can’t find anyone local to me that applies e-coat. I have several local options for powder coat but. Not sure if powder coat will work on traps. Anybody tried it before?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have with both conis and footholds. As for water trapping, horrible long term. Had rust beneath the powder coat. Foothold on dry land lasted ok, but had scent problems with them

Born

Rustolem 40% thinned with accetone 60% is another option.

Gilgetter

I have with both conis and footholds. As for water trapping, horrible long term. Had rust beneath the powder coat. Foothold on dry land lasted ok, but had scent problems with them

In other words, maybe not worth the expense? Always just done logwood dye and wax in the past. Thought maybe powder coat would be better

Gilgetter

Rustolem 40% thinned with accetone 60% is another option.

Then what? Spray on or dip? How long does that take for the odor to disapate?

Born

I just use as-is after. IMO odorless when dry. You may need to add accetone as needed while working with it because it evaporates so quickly, thinner coats seem to stick better to traps. I use white for land traps that will be buried to help prevent them from freezing down.

I have some 330’s that I haven’t had to re dip for three years.

Gilgetter

I just use as-is after. IMO odorless when dry. You may need to add accetone as needed while working with it because it evaporates so quickly, thinner coats seem to stick better to traps. I use white for land traps that will be buried to help prevent them from freezing down.

I have some 330’s that I haven’t had to re dip for three years.

I am looking to add some more coil spring traps. I never do anything with my body grips except power wash the oil off of em.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I spray paint my conibears and always did the log wood crystals in a turkey fryer with a couple pounds of wax on top for the foot holds . I always wanted to switch to the dip but with all the footholds covered in wax it seemed like a lost cause.

Droptinex2

You will regret powder coating traps. Eventually the paint cracks, moisture gets between paint and steel. Not good. I’m old fashioned just use dye, and wax on dry land traps. Get out the boiling pot every couple years.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.