Post opener report

• Michael Best

Just my luck. Word on the street was bite has been good.
    When we decide to go up and fish in comes a cold front.
    Fished big Stoney, little Stoney, goose island, and duck point with no joy.

Ended up on a break line of a sand flat in traders bay to finally catch some fish.

Caught 5 with 1 that went 24” that went back in the lake.

All of them came on a jig and a shiner.

Iowaboy1

I drive by Leech twice a year and drool over the possibilities that lake has to offer but never have stopped and tried.
    I dont know if its because I am headed further north and want the drive to be over or if its the idea of so much new area to learn.
    What I would give to spend a year up in the big nort woods.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

any big lake is captivating for me too. i am no near Leach but if i was, it would be a fun puzzle to solve. i got P4 to deal with as of now and it is a handful so i learn something new every trip. i love the challenges and the rewards of putting time in.

marbleeyes24 (Larry)
    Nevis

I picked up a few eaters on Tuesday off breaklines with shiners. Fished early yesterday morning until about 11 am and didn’t catch a thing. Fished from Agency to north of Big Hardwood. Only saw 1 fish caught by Goose Island on bobbers.

Water temp in Walker Bay 47.5 and by Hardwoods 51.4

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

ill be heading up there on Wednesday. Staying at Federal Dam campground. My first time fishing leech. what depth were you finding them at?

Also i see that the Riverside Quick Stop sells bait. Is that the best place to get bait in the area or should i look elsewhere?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

post edit: looks like there is a dedicated bait store called full stringer on the way up. ill probably stop there

Michael Best

I brought bait up from Detroit Lakes. So I couldn’t answer on the bait store. It was my first time fishing the lake as well.

We caught our fish in 9 to 12’ of water on sand.

Nodakk

ill be heading up there on Wednesday. Staying at Federal Dam campground. My first time fishing leech. what depth were you finding them at?

Okay Also i see that the Riverside Quick Stop sells bait. Is that the best place to get bait in the area or should i look elsewhere?

Depending on which direction your coming from, Swanson’s bait and tackle in Hackensack or 1000 Lakes in Grand Rapids

Deuces

post edit: looks like there is a dedicated bait store called full stringer on the way up. ill probably stop there

Full stringer is great.

If you go thru Emily the meat market there has good jerky.

Text me later in week, I know w guy who’s hired a guide for tomorrow, they may go to leech.

The sand flats w the crabgrass is key up there. Couple rock shoreline peninsulas that stick out on the west side that can be real good too, fish the crease.

They will be making their way further south as the season goes on, high water helps delay this. Don’t be afraid to run as far south sugar point looking.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Full stringer is great.

If you go thru Emily the meat market there has good jerky.

Text me later in week, I know w guy who’s hired a guide for tomorrow, they may go to leech.

The sand flats w the crabgrass is key up there. Couple rock shoreline peninsulas that stick out on the west side that can be real good too, fish the crease.

They will be making their way further south as the season goes on, high water helps delay this. Don’t be afraid to run as far south sugar point looking.
    [/quote]

Thanks nick. I’m a sucker for beef jerky too so I’ll likely make my way into Emily

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.