Minnesota City Boat Club/Harbor Depths

• Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

I am looking for a navigation chart for this area to improve my shore fishing techniques. Any suggestions where I can find something like this?

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

I just heard about this APP for smartphones and PC’s. Looks interesting but haven’t played with it yet.
    http://www.avenza.com/
    and
    PDF Maps app in app stores.

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

Quote:

I just heard about this APP for smartphones and PC’s. Looks interesting but haven’t played with it yet.

and

Thanks Joe, I checked this out and it looks very useful but I was unable to find any depth charts for my area. Not saying they aren’t there but I couldn’t locate any. :/

Currently the only knowledge I have as to depths comes from an outdated map book, ice fishing, and trial/error. I would be extremely great flu for any additional advice.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

3/4oz jig with the hook snipped off and braided line, will tell you all you need to know about an area in 5min of bouncing bottom. My go to for new river spots

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

and

I am checking it out too. Not sure if its going to be what is need for fisherman though. Looking into it.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Quote:

and

…Can’t anyone learn by themselves any more.? WTF.? Do you have to have this app on smart phones and pc’s or whatever to catch a fish now.? You take all the screens away from you MODS and you RRR Blind…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

..Can’t anyone learn by themselves any more.?

I had to walk 2 miles to school up hill both ways.

We didn’t have calculators, we had to use slide rules.

Can’t anyone make change anymore without the cash register telling them what it is?

There are always some that embrace technology and then there’s the old farts.

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

Quote:

Quote:

and

…Can’t anyone learn by themselves any more.? WTF.? Do you have to have this app on smart phones and pc’s or whatever to catch a fish now.? You take all the screens away from you MODS and you RRR Blind…

Old school is the best don’t get me wrong.. I’m not a huge fan (& never used) of sonars. It’s kind’ve like cheating IMO. It’s like hunting for a deer you’re tracking on a smart phone. Also I only fish from shore & practice C&R 99% of the time. I am pretty good at being able to read the water but I like to have maps showing depth to plan fishing trips. While everyone says go with the crowds I enjoy going away from them!

Depth charts also help locate new fishing spots for those of us without a boat.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Took me about 2 yrs. but I can pretty much tell you the depth and bottom content of 90% of the shoreline to 50yds out from St.Anthony falls to the Coon Rapids dam. Put in your work man, and you will be rewarded, and find spots that no sonar, map, or website can tell ya.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Old school is the best don’t get me wrong.. I’m not a huge fan (& never used) of sonars. It’s kind’ve like cheating IMO.

You do not know how funny that statement is!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Quote:

Old school is the best don’t get me wrong.. I’m not a huge fan (& never used) of sonars. It’s kind’ve like cheating IMO.

You want depth charts but sonar is cheating? Just trying to understand your thinking?

epeterson12

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You want depth charts but sonar is cheating? Just trying to understand your thinking?

Apologies. I misspoke. I’m very new to fish finders/boating in general.

IMO I prefer to hunt the fish without using a camera/technology that reads the fish. Maybe I’m just a little ignorant/jealous being a shore fisherman.

As far as sonar/depth charts go I think they are an absolute necessity. After reading the large discussion about pulling fish out of 30+ FOW I am even more eager to find navigation/depth charts of the Winona area. I fish deep channels often but I do not know how deep. (20 or 50? :P)

I certainly would make a conscience effort to not fish some of the holes if I had a better idea as to how deep I was fishing. Finding some depth charts might save some fish.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.