boat traffic at night

• jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

This guy on pool 2 lastnight was heading upstream and I was heading downstream around 11pm. I was barely moving with flashlights shining for buoys and marking fish on some structure outside of the buoys on the west side. All of a sudden this guy in the other boat heading north decides to start coming right at me! If I wouldnt have kicked it down andgot the heck outta the way he woulda crashed right into me. I know he saw me cause of all our lights. I felt threatened and was kinda scary. I hope I find him at the marina today..

jiggin-rake

Someone please explain what my options could be if there is a next time? And don’t say call the DNR or cops cause they don’t care about anything.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Call 911 or the county sheriff.

Did you ID the boat involved?

Grouse

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Get one of those million candle power lanterns and hit him with that. It’s get’s their attention.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I know he saw me cause of all our lights.

I’m guessing he did not see you. Lights on the river tend to blend into the shorline lights. Easily missed. Not much different that riding a motor cycle at night. Assume you are invisible to everyone.

I recently added a air horm in a can. $12 bucks from Fleet Farm. That sucker is LOUD!!! Get one and keep it handy.

-J.

jiggin-rake

We had boat lights and 3 spotlights going. Light wasn’t an issue.

jiggin-rake

I could prob pick the boat out of a lineup yes. He had a small tow behind boat and parks it at the marina by the Mississippi pub.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Not that uncommon…Unfortunately.

I see it all the time on the St. Croix river. Makes me nervous as heck and i won’t anchor and fall asleep in the main channel. I do spend quite a few all weekenders out there.
    I blast them with a 3,000,000 spotlight. Twice i’ve had that boat coming right at me end up being the sheriff – they don’t appreciate the spotlight, but i don’t appreciate them buzzing me either.

jiggin-rake

Yea this was outside the buoys/channel markers on the west side. He was hugging the east side and then made a hard turn and started coming right at me. He obviously tried to kill me.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

I could prob pick the boat out of a lineup yes. He had a small tow behind boat and parks it at the marina by the Mississippi pub.

Based on this description and the fact that you were moving, by law he had the right of way.

Not safe or morally correct unfortunately.

carver
    West Metro

Quote:

Yea this was outside the buoys/channel markers on the west side. He was hugging the east side and then made a hard turn and started coming right at me. He obviously tried to kill me.

I highly doubt that. I think your best efforts would be talking to the sherrif and not rambling on this web site about it, if it concerns you that much.

jiggin-rake

He had the right of way??? Are you serious? I was out of the buoys on the west side heading downstream. How did he have the right to turn and come straight at me? Wow. Sorry for posting

riverbassman

Jiggin Rake I feel your pain, but the above postings are correct in a way. keep in mind, boating regulations are not real spot on when it comes to overtaking another vessel and the distances you must keep. It always reverts back to “safe and reasonable speed”…. so in otherwords… warden discretion!!!
    I have been in the other boats shoes when on plane (daylight) and I want to pass someone…. they usually flip me the bird when I pass them 100′ to either side. If they are moving I will go as close as 50′ feeling that is safe and reasonable.
    I think the 2 boats are considered a “stand on” vessel and a give way vessel. Certain times when one keep course and the other “gives way”.
    Might have made you pee your pants, but how you describe it they might not have been doing anything illegal??? Dont really know.
    If you dont like the answer you might get….. dont post and ask questions.

jiggin-rake

So he can push me closer and closer to shore and try and run me over? Nevermind. I guess its my fault

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Find him and give em a good spanking.

(Maybe that line has played out now)

chubby
    Bloomington

2 boats meeting on a river. The downstream bound vessel always has the right of way. That being said I would venture that somewhere around 30% of boaters actually know what the rules of the road are. So you should be prepared to give way, even when having the right of way, so you do not end up in a bad way!

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Quote:

Quote:

I highly doubt that. I think your best efforts would be talking to the sherrif and not rambling on this web site about it, if it concerns you that much.

x2

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.