Pool 4 River Monsters

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well the river is at 10.5 feet right now with a crest of 12 feet this weekend.

This is the highest the waters been in two years and all the trees that have been sitting on the bank will be heading down stream.

Now is not the time to learn the river at 70,000 ft.³ per second. It’s ripping.

Attachments:
    1. 487F85A3-AA31-4245-8D37-580BD9632F9A-scaled.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

10.8′ this morning and the forecast dropped to 11.8′.

Last flow reading was 75,900 cfps.

Logs are traveling at 6+ MPH.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Last time out we saw what we thought were a couple pieces of lumber. After closer inspection it was an entire picnic table with metal frame and lumber all together. The top was just at the surface with everything else attached beneath it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That would be a boat stopper! cry

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I wouldnt even think about going on a river right now. Way too many hazards. The Mississippi in St Cloud area is the highest I have ever recalled seeing, but I dont often check the flow data to know if my eye test is deceiving me or not.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

but I dont often check the flow data to know if my eye test is deceiving me or not.

I agree, now is not the time to learn the river.

Many times my eyes have been deceived. It looks more safe then it really is! I think if a person looks directly at the speed of the river and remembers that it’s not going to stop, a person will see the power she has. The casual glance will lead a person to believe it’s not that fast.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

Appreciate these updates BK! I sometimes neglect checking river conditions until I get there assuming its good to go.
    When i spotlock and my motor is on 8 or higher, I know i can’t fish with current that strong.
    Giving the lake a shot next time out…..getting tired of fighting the current!

The SCRATCHER
    Participant
    spring valley mn

Big fat yes we blame you for booking it nothing good comes from it

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Every year I say I’m going to try to learn the river and really thought this was gonna be the year. Well I guess we will see how the rest of the year turns out. ???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s the big flush that happens every year John. Sometimes it’s early, sometimes it’s later… sometimes it’s in the fall or even the 4th of July.

One thing you can count on, Ma Mississippi will always be there for you. Just need to wait until she is done being mad at Pa Mississippi. (yes, he’s still wondering what he did)

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Additons to the “Monster” list

-A dock/slip somewhere upstream is missing most of a hydrohoist boat lift. How one of those could end up loose is beyond me. They’re like a 8-10K investment. If it’s you shoot me a PM. It looked like an island south of Wabasha should snag it eventually.

-An old 16′ canoe washed up on the bank by Reads Landing per a buddy’s wife that hikes the area.

-Still plenty of whole trees coming down marked by the stray gull or eagle riding them

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Only river monster I saw last weekend was camo and orange…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Lol! I told my fw not to look at it. But she did. Now she’s a pillar of salt.

sji
    Participant

Second green can South of the lake is partially under water. At times it goes under completely. Straight out from Reeds Landing

Iowaboy1
    Participant

And to think I was thinking you were talking about this thing.

Attachments:
    1. Mississippi-river-monster-scaled.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.