Pool 4 in the spring

• Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

My son and I went out of Everts Sunday. There were some long lines and it took a while to get on and off the water. There were a lot of boats on the water but most people were being as respectful as they could. I have never seen so many boats fishing so close to each other. I would like to go and try it again soon, just not on the weekend if I can help it. This is not the time / spot for fist timers. Poor guy in front of me didn’t even know how to unstrap his new boat. Luckily I had lots of time to kill waiting in line so I gave him a hand and went over some things with them. I should have went over backing up. rotflol He took up both lanes working it in like this banana. yay I think everyone was just so happy to be on open water with the nice weather they didn’t get very peeved.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I find it stressful right at first light since EVERYONE is launching. many times i wait until around 9 or 10 and everyone is already on the water. and yes they bite all day long, not just in the morning.

The difference between 6 am and 7 am is freaking amazing! Went from 1 rig to parking down the road towards the Woodshed.

Dan Baker
    Participant

Another newbie question, but is there a bite window for the dam area on pool 4? Is it based on water temp or flow?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The difference between 6 am and 7 am is freaking amazing! Went from 1 rig to parking down the road towards the Woodshed.

Would that coincide with the opening time of the bait shop?

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>

Would that coincide with the opening time of the bait shop?

-J.

There isn’t a “bait shop” at the WI Back Channel, but I spose that’s about the time Runnings opens.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Another newbie question, but is there a bite window for the dam area on pool 4? Is it based on water temp or flow?

Yes, yes and yes.

Although a well placed lure will catch a fish anytime, the bite is always better the last hour of the day and into the darkness. (although with the water staining up, that will be soon gone).

I’ll let others talk about temps and flow… heck, I haven’t even caught a catfish in the last year. )

Yoshi
    Participant

Water temp last night was 41

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Water temp last night was 41

Any fish in the boat? Were you using leeches? (I’m being silly)

Walleyeguy34
    Participant

Has the flow picked up much? Rigging up some Dubuque rigs and was wondering how heavy need to go on the dropper.

Fowldreams55398
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan Baker wrote:</div>

Yes, yes and yes.

Although a well placed lure will catch a fish anytime, the bite is always better the last hour of the day and into the darkness. (although with the water staining up, that will be soon gone).

I’ll let others talk about temps and flow… heck, I haven’t even caught a catfish in the last year. )

With the water staining up does that improve the day bite then so it’s not a sunset bite?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

With the water staining up does that improve the day bite then so it’s not a sunset bite?

As water dirties bite swings from night to day. The change is gradual or rapid, it is a lineal relationship to water clarity

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Fowldreams55398 wrote:</div>

As water dirties bite swings from night to day. The change is gradual or rapid, it is a lineal relationship to water clarity

What these guys said….in clear water the bite is at low light. You can catch fish during the day but usually getting baits away from the boat and in deeper water helps.

As the water stains the day bite kicks in and the fish will usually be shallower. Start looking for shallower current seams. When the water dirties up it usually means we’ve got higher flow/levels and the fish will concentrate more.

However, it’s the river so some days do the opposite and you’ll catch fish!

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.