Pool 2 Report (2023)

• Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That’s some good fishing in tough conditions Ron.

David
    Participant
    Lindstrom MN

Finally got all the cables and gear for the electronics hooked up and ready to go! Thinking about heading down to pool 2 tomorrow. Does anyone know how the launch is at Hidden Falls or if it’s even open?

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Hidden falls is a tricky launch to count on. Just have to go and see. Biggest issue is if the city unlocks the gate or not.

Lilydale is good to go just need to shovel and sand it. Watch out for the potholes driving in there. There is more holes than road in the one spot.

David
    Participant
    Lindstrom MN

Thanks Mike. I kind of figured that was situation with Hidden Falls. I was just trying not to drive at over the cities trying to dump the boat in. One way or another I’ll be on pool 2 tomorrow

dirtywater
    Participant

Bunch of trailers in the lot at Hidden Falls today. Didn’t get close enough to the ramp to say how it looks but there big glass boats out so I assume it’s OK.

David
    Participant
    Lindstrom MN

Thanks Dirtywater

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

That’s some good fishing in tough conditions Ron.

It was a pretty good day, especially Givin the circumstances, my goal was to fish in to the dark but my batteries said no thanks to that idea.
    If I was in my tiller, I wouldn’t have lasted. The windshield kept me blocked from all the wind

David
    Participant
    Lindstrom MN

Damn, did it feel good to get back in the boat today! Small suckers where the ticket for us today.

Raptormaster
    Participant

Hey guys,

Any tips on best place launch solo pool 2? I could go anywhere from Lilydale to Hidden Falls. Any docks out at a launch, sandy shore to park boat while parking?

Thanks guys

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Hey guys,

Any tips on best place launch solo pool 2? I could go anywhere from Lilydale to Hidden Falls. Any docks out at a launch, sandy shore to park boat while parking?

Thanks guys

No docks at either of those launches but hidden falls shoreline is easy to beach at. That’s where I would launch solo right now.

dirtywater
    Participant

You could go further downstream to lions levee, heard they have the docks in.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Anybody been doing anything by the confluence lately?

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Anybody been doing anything by the confluence lately?

Dead Sea out there today. We picked up a couple near the dam. Probably 25 boats at the confluence this morning and we only saw a couple fish caught.

Water was dirtier than I expected. Quite a bit of mud coming down from the Minnesota.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

The Minnesota was really puking out some mud and crud tonight, debris every where. Tough fishing. 2 fish from 4 to now. Lost a nice one earlier at dark

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Last night boating back towards 494 there were logs, sticks, ice chunks and junk floating every where. How long does that usually take to clear up ? Water clarity when we left last night was maybe 4 inches

Cody Meyers
    Participant

It’ll keep doing that until the MN crests and starts to go down. If you watch the water level on the MN you’ll have a good idea for when things start to clear up…in the spring it could be that way for a good little while if we get a steady melt, spring rain, etc. etc. etc.

parker brown
    Participant

How is the river look from Lilydale to St. Paul? Was thinking of trying some shore fishing over Easter weekend when I will be back in town.

matthewkolden
    Participant

Thinking of getting the boat loaded up and trying to hit pool 2 for the first time in a few years. Anyone have much luck lately? Wondering if i should wait another week or so and hope it clears up a bit first.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Thinking of getting the boat loaded up and trying to hit pool 2 for the first time in a few years. Anyone have much luck lately? Wondering if i should wait another week or so and hope it clears up a bit first.

It was nasty Saturday night.

David
    Participant
    Lindstrom MN

It was nasty Saturday night.
    [/quote]

Yeah…we were out on Friday and you could watch the water getting dirtier as the day went on.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

The MN river shot up a few feet yesterday by my house so its only gonna get worse.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Thanks Matt. I tried to get down there about an hour before dark but it was a personal circus with boat issues and had to turn it right around. Talked to a few guys at the HF ramp and reports ranged from 1 carp to a couple eyes to 12 walleyes, with most on the lower end of that spectrum … for what it’s worth. tongue

Ron, we had talked a little bit but did you ever get to see if the lilydale ramp is open and operational. Or does anyone else know? Thanks

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

It was pitch black when I went back past Lilly Dale and I was dodging logs and ice chunks, so I didn’t actually notice I it was open or not.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I checked it Sunday AM. Not useable IMO. No trailers in the lot. No signs anyone has used it yet. But thinks can change quickly down there.

-J.

Attachments:
    1. 41D5CF2C-2A5A-4AC3-9BA8-FF73E9AA147E-scaled.jpeg

LabDaddy1
    Participant

It was pitch black when I went back past Lilly Dale and I was dodging logs and ice chunks, so I didn’t actually notice I it was open or not.

I figured as much. No biggie.

Thanks Jon- that’s quite the snowbank! Hidden falls it is

mark z
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Hidden Falls north gate closed!
    Just hiked down there. Lots of trees and branches across the road going down. Anybody know the status of Lilidale? Not eager to launch out of 494 and head upriver with all the debris coming from the Minnesota.
    Thanks

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Hopefully they get HF cleaned up and open again quickly cuz I was planning on launching there tomorrow afternoon! If somebody happens to make it over and check it out tomorrow can you please report back? Thanks!

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Lilydale ramp would of been good to go over a month ago if it had been shoveled off. Keep in mind if you want to wait for mother nature to open the ramps it takes a long time. A little effort opens them a lot faster.

Good luck to you guys still getting out on Pool 2. Guessing I won’t be back til October. Been a fun winter of chasing walleyes out there. That river sure has a lot of nice fish in it.

LabDaddy1
    Participant

Hidden falls north gate still closed. Lilydale road is shut down west of pickerel lake. Watergate not letting boats launch now.

Is it possible to launch at ft Snelling right now? Feel the the drive up from 494 is not worth it.

Thanks for any insight/ideas

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 314 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.