Pool 2 Report (2022)

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So who has been getting out? How is the bite?

dirtywater

upper p2 from dam to confluence is running pretty clear. hidden falls ramp is pretty much bare cement from the top all the way down, and then there’s the typical lip of ice hanging around the shoreline. someone with an ice saw could clear that out easily enough, otherwise conditions look prime for melting starting Sunday.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Looked at the 494 access this afternoon. Some ice left on the south ramp, the north ramp is wide open. Lots of open water which is good to see.

SR

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

upper p2 from dam to confluence is running pretty clear. hidden falls ramp is pretty much bare cement from the top all the way down, and then there’s the typical lip of ice hanging around the shoreline. someone with an ice saw could clear that out easily enough, otherwise conditions look prime for melting starting Sunday.

The gate for HDF (main north entrance) was closed last weekend. I assume they now have it opened?

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dirty Water wrote:</div>

The gate for HDF (main north entrance) was closed last weekend. I assume they now have it opened?

Yes, I was down there today. Saint Paul parks has gotten very conservative with the gates. Any non-rain precipitation event and they’re keeping it closed.

I’d imagine the ice breaker will be opening things up at watergate any day now as well.

3Rivers

Folks have definitely been launching at 494 in the past few days. Looks like a lot of small males being caught mostly.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

494 is wide open on both sides. Dakota County sheriff was down there today…looks like they may have been practicing cold water rescue.

Hidden Falls has a pretty good shelf of ice. Someone backed over it recently. Another warmer day or a little elbow grease and it would be open.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

How is Lilydale looking? I might have to get out somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

This was Lilydale from Sunday evening, March 13th.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8884-scaled.jpg

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

This was Lilydale from Sunday evening, March 13th.

Awesome, thank you! That doesnt look too far off with temps right now. I bet a guy with a little boat could dump in there fairly easily. whistling

dirtywater

One lane of hidden Falls is officially open. Few boats went out today.

Mike Otis

Beautiful night out there last night, really great to have some enjoyable temps after this bitter winter.

The 494 lot was nearly full when I got there at 5, but there were a few spots open.

If you ever have an interest in snagging buffalo with blade bates, I’m your guy. Walleyes… might want to ask someone else.

This is my second spring on the river, and I’m going to bite the bullet and hire a guide. You all have been super helpful with pointers, tips, and general tactics, and I couldn’t be more appreciative, but who would you suggest I go with? My goal is to learn new things, and refine what I’m currently doing, not necessarily put piles and piles of fish in the boat.

Feel free to PM me.

-Otis

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Anyone know if the minnesota river has broke loose yet?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Anyone know if the minnesota river has broke loose yet?

Doesn’t look like it…I just drove over the 35E bridge this morning and it looks clear. Not much snow and ice down in southern MN so it could be a bit before the Red River breaks loose and that garbage makes it to us.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Beautiful night out there last night, really great to have some enjoyable temps after this bitter winter.

The 494 lot was nearly full when I got there at 5, but there were a few spots open.

If you ever have an interest in snagging buffalo with blade bates, I’m your guy. Walleyes… might want to ask someone else.

This is my second spring on the river, and I’m going to bite the bullet and hire a guide. You all have been super helpful with pointers, tips, and general tactics, and I couldn’t be more appreciative, but who would you suggest I go with? My goal is to learn new things, and refine what I’m currently doing, not necessarily put piles and piles of fish in the boat.

Feel free to PM me.

-Otis

You could try Marty Hahn….he comes up to P2 in the spring. Might be tough getting him booked. The Griz also still guides a bit…I think you need to call Blue Ribbon Bait.

This is a slow time of year on P2….you can find fish but it will get better as the water warms into the low 40’s. Some higher water would also help to concentrate the fish. They are going to be really spread out right now.

Throw the blade baits in the garbage and look for deeper edges and just soak a minnow while slipping the current. Slow and simple right now. There will start to be more fish up from the confluence to the dam pretty soon. If you want to get some confidence head up that way this time of year….alot of smaller fish (males) but you can find them and put a whuppin’ on them.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Good post, Matt!

DaveB and I fished the confluence last night. Water temp right at 40 degrees. Low flow. Jig/minnow slipping the current put a few fish in the boat. Still pretty slow for most who were out.

Hidden Falls ramp is clear. But quite a few cars hogging up the boat/trailer parking spots. Ugg! Hope to see Lillydale open up here soon!

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Pool 2 Heads Up for people fishing out of 494.

On 3/9 at approx 11pm a 29 YO man named Alex Westerlund stopped his car on the 494 bridge, got out and apparently jumped into the river. He has not been seen since.

-J.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

We were at the confluence from 10:30 until about 1:30 and saw 1 fish caught and it was a carp. Talked to a boat that was leaving as we were heading out. They said they caught 3 but had been there all morning. Lilydale was open and the sheriff was checking.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Lions Levee is also good to go. waytogo

-J.

buschman
    Pool 2

Mike Otis, I would wait to hire a guide unless you are specifically trying to learn the pre spawn bite.

If it were me I would wait till mid may to spend the money. Only because the fish will be back down river and you will learn a lot more about location and patterns that can hold for weeks ahead at that time. Also we might have high water the. and that is where a guide can really teach you how to read the water. You will also be able to avoid a crowd at this time and not have so much pressure on the fish you are targeting.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Coming up fast this week!

-J.

Attachments:
    1. pool2.png

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Coming up fast this week!

-J.

So what do you think this rising water will do to the bite? I was out last Saturday afternoon/evening on the upper part of P2 and we got a few fish but certainly not a fast bite. I had a water temp of about 41 F.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

So what do you think this rising water will do to the bite?

Concentrate fish into more predicable areas. Seams, cuts, slack water areas. Last week/weekend there were fish scattered all over the place.

-J.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Temp was down to 38 last night….slow bite but managed a few. Water is getting dirtier and coming up. Lot of ice coming down river on both sides of the confluence. When it comes up fast like this the bite will likely slow down. As it crests and then comes down or stabilizes we should see the bite pick back up.

I just hope we keep some higher water and more flow through the summer and fall. Last summer and fall were a meat grinder.

Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

Will the current conditions factor in where Walleyes position themselves? Like will Walleyes relate more to shoreline structure, Eddie’s, and whatnot specifically due to the rising water levels or does warming shallows, baitfish location, and spawning have a more important role in locational factors? Any other insight is appreciated also.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Will the current conditions factor in where Walleyes position themselves? Like will <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleyes relate more to shoreline structure, Eddie’s, and whatnot specifically due to the rising water levels or does warming shallows, baitfish location, and spawning have a more important role in locational factors? Any other insight is appreciated also.

Someone with more river knowledge than me could probably right a book based on these questions….alot of variables when you start factoring in all of these.

When the water is rising, dirty, and cold (like it is now) the first thing I look for is current. Let’s also assume you’re trying to find the cleanest water you can. You have to think of current on the river like another piece of structure. IMHO, look for current seams next to slack water. The walleyes will move into the current to eat but then look to rest in the slack water. This typically means that you’re looking for shorelines that have a current break to them…a bend, some rocks, trees, etc. If I’m in the boat, I spot lock right on the seam if I can. From shore, I’m typically casting into the seam and then slowly working the bait into the slack water. Usually the retrieve ends up being at a 45 degree to shore. When you find fish in high water and high flow conditions they are usually concentrated so I’ll work a spot pretty hard if I get bit.

Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

Thank you Matt Moen for the feedback. I do appreciate it.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>boone wrote:</div>
    So what do you think this rising water will do to the bite?

Concentrate fish into more predicable areas. Last week/weekend there were fish scattered all over the place.

-J.

This

And the bite will be on chart/orange core pulsars

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Only caught one today but it was a nice one. 28″. 33 degree water temps and lots of crap in the water.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_393911.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice one there, Mike!

-J.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 319 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.