Ponds

• riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

Working with the USF&W, Partnering for wildlife program I was able to get some pond work done on our new 80 this week. The smaller of the 2 was a scrape that will likely be a more seasonal pond. The larger of the 2 was a dig and berm. It currently ranges from 1-5ft deep with the potential to grow as moisture increases. We will have some final grading to do next year once the berm settles and the area around the pond dries out.

Attachments:
    1. 0824211348a.jpg

2. 0824211436a_HDR.jpg

3. 0824211437a_HDR.jpg

4. 0824211401.jpg

5. 0823211000_HDR.jpg

Brian G
    Independence, MN

I’d be really interested in hearing more about the process you went through to get the work done. We’ve got a 20 with about 5 of that being connected to a big cattail slough with no open water in it. It seems like a great area to create a pond with some open water for waterfowl.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m interested in the permitting process if any were required.

Ripjiggen

Following for the same reasons as above.

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

The Process:
    After buying our property I invited several agencies out for a site visit. The USF&W service, NRCS, Itasca Woodland service and a Pheasants forever rep. I explained my vision for our property. That was to provide 80 acres for all wildlife all the time. As for the ponds it went like this. I wanted a 150′-200′ berm through the wetland in the center of my property so I could travel North/South on our East line. In doing so we could create an open water pond. John (USF&W) thought it was a great idea that would not only benefit wildlife but increase the usability of our property. He also suggested a secondary, smaller wetland as part of the overall project. From there it becomes a budget issue. How much money can he allocate and how much was I willing to cost share. John did all the paperwork with the county and DNR. He also lined up the contractors. He was onsite to supervise the project to my satisfaction. In the end, they covered the cost of the entire dig with my cost share only being any final grading I want done next year when the area around the pond dries up. He also provided me with 6 acres of upland pollinator prairie seed for some restoration I wanted to do. My contract is only that the wetland can not be filled in for at least 10 years and the prairie must remain for 10 years. My biggest take away after owning my property for 6 months. Get people on your property that are experts in what they do and have money to help along the way. He did say some Counties are easier to work with than others, mine was in Todd county. Good luck and happy habitat work.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.