Perch on a Tear on Pool 8

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

We received these pics from PJ Vick as he was driving in a snowstorm on his way back from fishing the Mississippi River today. He was excited as a kid in a candy store! The perch were on fire as the storm rolled in this afternoon with 12″ – 14.5″ fatties eating #3 Ultra Lite Rippin Raps in bright perch colors and medium shiners fished under IFISHPROS!

6′ of water along a weed edge is all we got out of him before we told him to focus on driving and hang up the dang phone! shock

I’m sure he’ll be along shortly to fill in around the edges.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20201229_174028.jpg

2. IMG_20201229_174020.jpg

3. IMG_20201229_174015.jpg

Deuces
    Participant

Good grief that’s alot of deliciousness right there toast

shockers
    Participant
    Rochester

Wow! Those look WAY nicer than the pool 4 perch I caught yesterday. Nice work fellas!

That one on the bottom is an absolute pig.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

no kidding! I don’t think I ever seen a perch like that out of pool 4! why you guys drivin all the way to ND????

riverruns
    Inactive

no kidding! I don’t think I ever seen a perch like that out of pool 4! why you guys drivin all the way to ND????

Could be the pics were taken on pool 4 and they only said pool 8?

Maybe the fish came from ND and it was an opportunity for an advertisement? All kinds of things can happen. If you seen it on the internet it happened. waytogo

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

def not ND. maybe those bluffs are photoshopped? P5 and downriver have a lot more backwaters than P4 but I wouldn’t trade it for any other pool

Chuck Melcher
    Participant
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I really wish I was closer to the big river…. I know the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but I sure love the 2-3 summer trips I make there each year.

My ice gear isn’t even out of the rafters yet… SE WI, it may be a while (

Those are fish ya dream of.

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Great job guys! Wow!!!!

vinella
    Participant

Absolute slobs! That had to be a blast! 🎣

KwickStick
    Participant
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Good going, guys! What a great day!

Pj Vick
    Participant

Good grief that’s alot of deliciousness right there toast [/quot

Perch is what’s for dinner tonight! toast

Pj Vick
    Participant

Wow! Those look WAY nicer than the pool 4 <em class=”ido-tag-em”>perch I caught yesterday. Nice work fellas!

Thank you shockers! Their was a bunch of smaller perch here as well . We upsized our baits to specifically target the larger fish.

Pj Vick
    Participant

We will definitely be on the river this winter chasing some of these Jumbos with the camera.North Dakota was a great change of pace and added some variety in bites. peace

Pj Vick
    Participant

Could be the pics were taken on pool 4 and they only said pool 8?

Maybe the fish came from ND and it was an opportunity for an advertisement? All kinds of things can happen. If you seen it on the internet it happened. waytogo
    [/quote]

We definitely fished pool 8!

Pj Vick
    Participant

I really wish I was closer to the big river…. I know the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but I sure love the 2-3 summer trips I make there each year.

My ice gear isn’t even out of the rafters yet… SE WI, it may be a while

I live in SE Wisconsin as well Chuck. It has been a struggle to find safe ice near home but this cold snap is definitely helping! Good luck this winter.

Pj Vick
    Participant

Great job guys! Wow!!!!

Thank you,days like yesterday are the ones we live for!

Pj Vick
    Participant

Absolute slobs! That had to be a blast! 🎣

Those perch had us giggling like school girls😂

KwickStick
    Participant
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

toast waytogo

milemark_714
    Participant

My ice gear isn’t even out of the rafters yet… SE WI, it may be a while (

Those are fish ya dream of.

I don’t miss those SE WI lakes,between small perch and endless no parking signs.Only miss Lake Michigan.According to a few guys I know that still live there,too many lakes are losing access,such as Tichigan.

Nice fish,those are a blast to catch,and they seem to be very prolific and don’t stunt.

curleytail
    Participant

Wow, very impressive fish. I hadn’t really had doing this on my radar but see I’m only about 2.5 hours from the general pool 8 area.

Does this tend to be an early ice thing only, or will a fair bite remain for a while? Is this backwater fishing (based on the pics it doesn’t look like it to me but I have 0 experience with this type of thing).

Pretty interesting!

Tucker

Pj Vick
    Participant

Wow, very impressive fish. I hadn’t really had doing this on my radar but see I’m only about 2.5 hours from the general pool 8 area.

Does this tend to be an early ice thing only, or will a fair bite remain for a while? Is this backwater fishing (based on the pics it doesn’t look like it to me but I have 0 experience with this type of thing).

Pretty interesting!

Hey tucker! This bite is typically best early and later in the ice season. That being said their’s still plenty of fish to find all ice season long. I would consider backwaters to be any water off of the main channel.We target backwater lakes,bays and sloughs.The best areas have weed growth and water depth of three plus foot with no current flow. You can find fish in less than three foot as well,early ice as shallow as a foot and a half. Some excellent opportunities on the river and great quality fish.Hope this helps and good luck this winter!

leinieman
    Participant
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Those are some nice perch. Were you using minnows as well as jigging?

Ron Burgundy
    Participant
    Utica MN

How many holes did you drill to find them? My brother caught a 15.5 at the public hole down there. Not surprised they are there.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

No kidding, I first saw the IDO post on FB and at first glance with the elevation in the background I figured had to be Lake Cascade.

Definitely impressive to see perch like that closer to home.

Pj Vick
    Participant

Those are some nice perch. Were you using minnows as well as jigging?

Thank you! We used medium shiners on a #14 gold o’shaughnessy treble hook with I fish pros as well.That combination caught a good share of jumbos.

Pj Vick
    Participant

How many holes did you drill to find them? My brother caught a 15.5 at the public hole down there. Not surprised they are there.

Good afternoon Ron. We found them on our second stop and only had to drill around 30 holes. Some days it definitely doesn’t come that easy lol. 15.5 is a slob of a perch,congratulations to your brother!

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

WTG PJ. Those are just beautiful perch. applause
    Wish you were here i could have the fish fryer going in 3 minutes. wink

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Good job Mr.Vick those are some damn nice perch.
    I wish i could find a few of those on pool 10,at least more than 1 at a time.
    Once again good job PJ.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.