Pellet Grills

• cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I’m in need of a new grill. My weber finally went out on me after 18 years. I was all set to get another Weber gas grill when I ran into the pellet grills at FF and Cabelas. I have no experience with the pellet grills made by Traeger and Cabelas private label, what can you guys tell me about them?

We do a fair amount of impromptu grilling. Come home from work, fire up the weber gas grill, cook burgers, brats, steaks, whatever. Can a pellet grill do this or are these geared toward the longer more planned out cooking session? I like the fact that you can pre-load with wood pellets and like the idea of a wood smoked cooking instrument.

Pros and Cons on pellet grills? Does it make more sense to have the main weber gas grill and a smaller pellet grill for when I want to do so?

TIA!

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

A pellet grill will do everything a propane grill will do and then some. Not only will you get wood flavor but you have digital temperature control.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

I was in the same place as you a little over a year ago.
    after looking at traegers,my personal thought was that they are tinny for what they cost so I started looking around at pellet grills in that price range or less.

I settled on Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone model,it was a little over fifty pounds heavier than a comparable traeger and a couple of hundred bucks less money.
    couldnt be happier with it ! I have run over six hundred pounds of pellets through it now smoking briskets,bologna,summer sausage,sticks and a couple of turkeys.

I have grilled many many pounds of burgers,steaks,etc. on it as well as baking pies,cakes,and specialty dishes and it has never once let me down.
    pellet grills are the cats meow for backing a pizza on as well !
    I liked it well enough I bought the Davey Crocket tailgater model a month later for taking camping,little did I realize I would end up using it as much as the bigger one.

I didnt like the high price of GMG’s pellets and started using lumberjack brand pellets,40 pound bag for what the branded 20 pound bag cost and I personally think they are a better pellet,many other good ones out there as well.

when it comes to choosing pellets,be diligent in your research as many brands use a flavoring oil that leaves a nasty after taste,make sure the pellets are pure wood using the woods own natural sugars as a binder.
    which ever one you end up with,good luck and enjoy it !!
    we seldom use the stove anymore since owning these two.

Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

I also own a Green Mountain Daniel Boone. I would definitely recommend it. It will add probably 10 minutes to your burgers or brats vs. propane but well worth it!

walleye1274
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Love my Green Mountain!!!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I agree that the Traegars seem very flimsy, I’ve also read a lot of reviews on them stating they have trouble holding consistent temperature.

I don’t know what your budget is, but I LOVE my rectec. They make two different sizes, and they are built like absolute tanks.

I’d give them a look. I’ve heard good things about the green mountains as well.

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the info to date, where are rectec’s and Green Mountain grills sold in the Twin Cities area?

Are these grills semi-movable? At least on wheels where they can be stored in garage and wheeled out for use?

Hunting4Walleyes
    Participant
    MN

Rectec doesn’t use dealers and you have to buy straight from the manufacturer. They are shipped by LTL so they will be delivered by a 50′ semi. As long as they can get into your neighborhood it shouldn’t be a problem.

Green Mountain has a few places that sell them in the metro but a quick search shows nothing around Hudson and very few in the metro.

I think this is why Traeger’s are more popular as they are sold at Home Depot, hardware stores, Cabela’s, ect… they are everywhere.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I can’t speak for Green Mountain, but RecTec is by online/phone order only. They make them down in Georgia. I know it’s tough to make a big purchase like this without being able to touch and feel the product, but trust me when I say that the RecTecs are of better build quality than most if not all other pellet grills in the price range. Every component is solid, all the hardware is very thick gauge stainless steel, seriously just solid.

If you are ever over in Mahtomedi you can stop by and take a look at mine if you’d like.

I did 27 chicken things and 33 chicken legs on it last weekend, they were awesome.

I have the bigger rectec, which weighs like 200 pounds or something before you put any pellets in it. But it has a heavy duty handle on one side and really heavy duty rollerblade style wheels, so it actually moves pretty well, just need to be careful if it’s full of pellets cause that shifts the weight on it a bit. Now, if you need to like lift it down a few steps or something that would be a different story.

You also get the owners’ personal cell phone numbers when you order, you can call the guys anytime(like anytime, weekends, holidays, doesn’t matter) and they will help you out. They might not always be able to fix a problem over the phone, but they will try.

zooks
    Participant

I think you are going to still want your weber for certain applications that require high direct heat. You can cook steaks and burgers on a pellet grill but you won’t get a good sear on them which I think is a critical component in the flavor. I’m about to pick up the smallest weber gas grill for those applications and for bringing ice fishing. Everything else will go on the Green Mountain.

This is good advice regarding any pellet grill, all 4 guys I know that have them (1 GMG, 3 Traegers) use a separate gas or charcoal grill for anything that requires a high heat sear. Each of those guys love the unit they have and I agree that they’re super versatile otherwise.

Looks like Green Mountain has a pretty nice sale happening through Dec 4, would be worth a phone call to that dealer in Little Canada to see what they have in stock.

The only other thing I’ll mention is that regardless how you store it, a good cover is worth every penny you spend on it. Hope this helps, good luck with what you decide.

Nice Fella
    Participant

So does a pellet grill provide the best of both in terms of grilling and a smoker?
    Feathers – regarding sear, good point. On occasion I will sear my steaks first on a hot cast iron skillet in the kitchen and then finish it off (get to desired internal temp) on the grill and get the smoke flavor.

What is the difference between the Daniel Boone model and the Danielle Boone?
    lol

zooks
    Participant

<double post>

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

Once again the IDO’ers have it on point. Got the parents into that Green Mountain Daniel Boone. Quite happy when they have me cook for them.

Better than Traegers and no experience with Rec Tec for comparison.

Open question – how are GMG’s in cold weather? I only use it in the summer. Have a Kamado Joe(ceramic aka green egg) at my place

If budget allows you can also look at Yoder. Have two friends that absolutely love them. Can go a bit higher temp which helps with things like pizza. Thicker metal too

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Biggest con to a pellet grill, IMO, it is a PITA to clean versus a standard gas grill.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s also good to think about what you plan on cooking in your grill. If you’re just looking to do an occasional rack of ribs or pork shoulder or something, then you probably don’t need a bigger grill like the rec tec.

With most smokers, that extra real estate comes with a not insignificant uptick in price.

I have quite a bit of family over pretty regularly, which is one reason I went with the rectec(702 sq. in). I’ve done a 15 pound packer brisket and two 6 pound pork shoulders at one time.

But it would be total overkill if you are mainly cooking for a small family.

I know a guy in Woodbury who buys lumberjack pellets by the pallet, I think he sells them for like $15-$18 for 40lb. That’s a lot cheaper than buying in the store.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/grd/d/lumberjack-grill-pellets/6365882043.html

?????
    Participant

If you want the best of both worlds then a Memphis may work for you. They will sear a steak with a special plate inside with holes in it to let the flames kiss the steak and get up to 700 degrees yet you can slow smoke at 160 degrees and anywhere in between. They are all stainless steel and I believe made in Blomington MN. Now that being said they are a bit spendy. I have had traegers for years and still have my original one for smoking fish, I bought another one and it turned out to be POS so I bought the Memphis. Best pellet grill I have ever had but you get what you pay for.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>patk wrote:</div>
    Open question – how are GMG’s in cold weather?

They work fine. To save pellets buy a thermal blanket.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>
    Biggest con to a pellet grill, IMO, it is a PITA to clean versus a standard gas grill.

You’re doing it all wrong if you are cleaning it often. The only time you should clean it is if the heating element gets completely full of ash which happens maybe once a year if you use it often. If you’re cleaning it you’re taking the smoke flavor out of the grill.

I was just talking with the sales rep about this the other day when I was in buying my old man a GMG for Christmas. He said he had his for 3 years and has never cleaned it other than scraping off the grates and taping off the build up on the drip plate.

I’ve always heard if you ever use your smoker at a higher temperature(my rectec goes up to 500 degrees) then the additional ash/grease left over can ignite and cause fire/flare-ups in the drum. If you have a bunch of built up ash/grease.

I don’t see how ash or grease is going to contribute positively to smoke flavor at all though. You could argue just general flavor, but the main component making smoke is the pellets isn’t it?

Rectec also sells ‘Sear grates’ if you want to sear stuff, I just don’t want to wait for a pellet grill to heat up to 500 degrees so I’ll use my gas weber to do any searing.

cougareye
    Participant
    Hudson, WI

I think I saw one in a store that had one side gas, one side pellet/smoke. Anyone have any experience with that type of grill.

I may have to check my facts, the one side may have been charcoal.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think I saw one in a store that had one side gas, one side pellet/smoke. Anyone have any experience with that type of grill.

I may have to check my facts, the one side may have been charcoal.

I think I’ve seen those in fleet farm, maybe even had pellet/gas/charcoal.

I don’t have experience but my hunch would be that a grill like that doesn’t actually accomplish any of those tasks very well. I would worry that the temperature control/convection portion would suck on the pellet side.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

cant understand why you guys are having trouble searing stuff on a pellet grill?
    I set my Boone or Crocket model to 375 and let it come up to temp first.
    then toss on the steak or whatever,perfect sear every time just like my charcoal grill.

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

After reading this thread I’m hoping my gas grill eventually gives so I can buy a pellet grill. Have a ducane gas doesn’t seem to be giving up soon. Maybe I should have two grills

Iowaboy1
    Participant

something that should be added to this thread.
    one,pellet grills are great !! but,charcoal grills have a flavor all of their own that will never be duplicated.

two,pellet grills will never duplicate real wood smoke flavor but they come close.

three,pellet grills,at least my two GMG’s need cleaned every twenty five hours of use and its recommended in the owners manual.
    why??? the ash build up in the burn pot slows ignition time and the amount of room for pellets that you need to make good consistent smoke and heat,trust me on that one.
    the element is for ignition only,not making heat,the less pellets in there the more pellets you will actually burn or spill over to make heat.

four,all of the ash in the bottom of the barrel is a moisture trap that will set up rusting/pitting of the barrel.
    a sixteen hour smoke on a brisket uses about sixteen pounds of pellets,thats a lot of ash laying around in the burn pot and barrel,not sixteen pounds of ash mind you but enough to cause problems.

five,yes,clean the grates as well,you dont want brisket fat that doesnt make it to the drip tray/bucket stinking up a chicken,ham,etc and vice versa.
    on mine,I turn it up to five hundred to burn a lot of this unwanted flavor out of it just like the self clean feature in an oven will do.

six,and very important,GET YOURSELF A GOOD REMOTE TEMP PROBE !!!
    ( I can hear you laughing Denny O )
    I have two maverick et733 probes,cheap enough at 60 bucks each,dual probe programmable thermometers.
    this way you can use the grills probe to monitor the at the grate temps which is a must!!!!

and finally a warning that superdave and denny o will tell you and I have learned the hard way,this hobby will become addicting,very addicting.
    and yes,I have three grills,I have two GMGS and a kingsford charcoal smoker/grill doah

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Weber charcoal grill is hiding in the back.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Dave and Sheldon trumps bow me in the yard ornaments, geese! toast

With the money that they have wrapped up in those treasures, one could just “break out another thousand”. jester

patk
    Participant
    Nisswa, MN

and finally a warning that superdave and denny o will tell you and I have learned the hard way,this hobby will become addicting,very addicting.
    and yes,I have three grills,I have two GMGS and a kingsford charcoal smoker/grill

Is it worse when you’re stashing or influencing others to have gear you can use when visiting whistling

Home setup: Kamado Big Joe, Weber Spirit 3 gas
    Parent’s lake place: GMG Daniel Boon(I took them to the store)
    Wife’s parents: Relocated my Webber Kettle to their house.(just happened accidentally show up in their yard last June)

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

Are you guys using the Wifi or non-Wifi version of the Green Mountain Daniel Boone? I’m in the market for one and I have it narrowed down to the GMG DB, but I’m not sure if the Wifi will be all that useful.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Are you guys using the Wifi or non-Wifi version of the Green Mountain Daniel Boone? I’m in the market for one and I have it narrowed down to the GMG DB, but I’m not sure if the Wifi will be all that useful.

I have the wifi on the Davey Crocket,its okay if you using the temp probe and the weather is crappy outside and the grill is out of your line of sight or you are away from home and using your data on your cellphone to monitor it through the internet,the latter I have never tried.
    I could see where that would be handy in case you needed to change the grill temps up or down when you are away.

I use the grills probe for at the grate temps as I normally have the meat above the grates you would normally cook on, I use the maverick probes in whatever is being smoked/cooked and keep an eye on temps with the mavericks remote receiver.

I am always home anyway when I am smoking/cooking something on the grills so I dont really need the wifi.

trophy19
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

A little off course, but does anyone have experience with the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker, either 18″ or 22″ size? This smoker keeps showing up as a gooc choice in lots of reviews. They sure don’t give them away, that’s for sure. I like the fact that they don’t take up as much space as a horizontal smoker, can be stored easily.

Pete

outdoors4life
    Participant
    Stillwater, MN

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind.html

If you want a good laugh watch the ads from woodwinds.

I hate going to friends for grilling now. I even brought my grill before so I could use it vs a friends gas grill or cooking inside. We had our turkey on thanksgiving on the grill. I bought one from menards and the tem does not stay constant but I still love it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.