Pelican Lake – Breezy Point Resort

• Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I’m taking my wife and 3 year old daughter up next week for a few days on Pelican Lake. We’ll be dragging the boat up and get a bit of time on the water but this will be less about fishing and more about hanging out. I might get a few hours here and there to catch some fish so I’m looking for any suggestions?

If I get out during the daytime I can usually dial in a bass or pike bite – is it worth targeting walleyes during the day or should I focus on AM/PM hours? The lake looks like it has a ton of structure with a few flats/reefs that I thought about targeting with rigs/jigs/spinners. Looks like there could be a couple good spots for slip bobbers, too.

On a lake this big I’d typically try and get out with a guide for a few hours but I don’t think that will happen so any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I’ve fished it a few times (not recently) and have a buddy that has a cabin there. He does decent on the eye’s, but it’s a clear lake so prime times are best, and during the day working the deeper weedlines can put a few in the boat. Fun place to go even if the fishing is slow!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Pelican has really taken a hit and it’s been poor to say the least for walleye for the last 5+ years.

The far north tiny bay off the rock line that spectate the big bay is great for smallies. Rock piles on the outer edge of the bowl are good too.

craig s
    Participant

The beach at the resort has some nice scenery… waytogo

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

The beach at the resort has some nice scenery… waytogo

If all else fails I’ll catch a buzz and do some sight seeing.

djshannon
    Participant
    Crosslake

Matt,
    Pelican Lake is a zebra mussel lake. Please take care to not spread AIS to you next fishing destination.

If you are not familiar with the area, you are close to Crosslake. The Army Corp of Engineers has a great campgrounds with playgrounds and boat launches on Crosslake. Something for your daughter and wife.

Have a great trip.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Bumping this back up…..heading back up in 10 days. Lake was great for the family but fishing was slow…spent very little time though. Big Axe brewing in Nisswa has a great double ipa, too.

Any new reports? I think I’m going to work off Lincoln point and hit some deep weed edges. Might even try slip bobbers on deep weeds.

If all else fails, I’ll go after some lmb with all the warm weather lately.

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

The bite has been pretty slow on Pelican. Gull has been more productive. I found any wind and cloud cover really makes the lake come alive. Everything was deep for us the past few days.

djshannon
    Participant
    Crosslake

I catch most of my Walleyes at Andy’s Bar and Grill in Crosslake. They have a great Walleye fish and chips dinner for $14.95….

Give it a try … Fish On…

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Any tips on getting after some bass? I know there are a bunch of weedlines and I would assume the bass are on the backsides?

I could go down and dirty after some bass if the walleye will be slow.

Charles
    Participant

Gull is where you want to be for walleyes get a good cloudy day and some wind they will rip the rod from your hand.

For Pelican it is a night bite lake that I am told for walleyes. Bass either shallow in weeds or down deep with the weeds mind you weed edges in this lake can be up +20.

If you around the 20th, I could take you out on cross lake and do some bass fishing.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Appreciate the offer but this is a family trip. I either get up at 5 and fish for a couple hours or maybe at dark. Rest of the time is relaxing and spending time in the water.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Take the kids to see the goats if they are still out on Gooseberry Island. Not sure if they still keep them there, but we anchored up there to swim, having no idea there were goats out there and suddenly there are a bunch of goats standing there and one climbing the bow ladder about to try to get on the boat.

Not sure if they put the goats out there anymore, this was 6-7 years ago.

Just don’t turn the whole visit into a goat rodeo by leaving your boat alone. Goats’ll do what goats do.

Grouse

Charles
    Participant

You can also anchor on the south side of the island more rocky but more peaceful.

Take the kids to the Swimming beach on the south side of the lake, Country road 3 to Pelican Lake Road awesome beach and super clear and cold.

While your up here, head to cross lake and go to Lake Country Crafts & Cones one of the biggest re sellers of Kemp’s ice cream in states.

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

Appreciate the offer but this is a family trip. I either get up at 5 and fish for a couple hours or maybe at dark. Rest of the time is relaxing and spending time in the water.

Wacky rigging deep was the best fishing I had 18-25′ FOW.

Or ned rigs. We did extremely wells on a few lakes up there. Couple of morning we on fire for quality bass. Top water bite was slow.

I did not seem any goats on the island while we were there though.
    There is another sand bar that is pretty nice for swimming in Halverson’s Bay. Usually about 10% of the boat traffic of Gooseberry island.

I know breezy point bay right out of the no wake zone has been hot some years too.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Thanks guys. I didn’t see any goats on the island last year but we’ll look this year. Also going to head into cross lake and check it out based on the recommendations.

If I get on any fish I’ll post a report afterwards.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Heading back to Breezy over Labor Day. The last couple years it’s been earlier and super hot. Should be a bit cooler. I have had very little luck on Pelican.

With limited time to fish (maybe early morning a couple of days) any thoughts on what to target? I know the walleye bite is always tough and I don’t have time to grind it out. I would assume the panfish are on the weeds?

There are a couple of breaks I might try and hit with a jig and creek chub but with limited time I’ll take the easy way out!

Let me know.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Anyone out there? Bueller?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I was trying to send you a screen shot of the lake where I’ve had luck in the past with smallies but I can’t send pics???

Edit: I’ll PM you coordinates. One was my secret go-to for early season walleyes at dark and spot 2 is a general area to fish for smallies.

Happy to share as I don’t venture there often anymore but I trust you’ll keep my secret spot a secret…lol.

bechjl15
    Participant

Has anyone had luck ice fishing Pelican? I’ll be up there this coming week. Will kind of be limited in the length of time to fish but will have the afternoon/evening timeframe for sure!

Been trying to do some research and it pretty much seems like weed lines and primetime hours, maybe a few rocks or points for the walleye. Taking the GF ice fishing for the 1st time too so I am hoping some panfish are suspended over a basin for some action at least! I keep seeing Jones bay as a good starting point.

Any pointers will be great. Would love to get my hands on Shiners but as you all know its tough to get right now with the demand and the limited trapping options for bait stores!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.