Passport Pickle

• B-man

Was planning on flying into Sandpoint customs with a buddy Saturday am then buzzing over to an awesome lake in the bush…but just found that my passport is expired smash

Tried calling customs to see if there’s a loop-hole but they are closed.

My buddy’s potential shot-in-the-dark idea would to be to land in US waters and taxi the half mile to Canadian Customs…like a boat.

You need a passport to “FLY” into Canada, but it would be a potential way around it.

He also said I could get an expedited passport in the cities but it sounds like it would take the better part of the day tomorrow to get it (I have to work and wouldn’t be able to sneak away for very long).

I’ll try calling them in the morning but thought I’d ask you guys if you’ve ever had a similar experience before.

Anyone ever try it? LOL

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Expedited is about your only shot. Good luck.

CaptainMusky

If you have an enhanced driver’s license the land or by water option is the only route. You cannot fly in.

FinnyDinDin

A birth certificate and an ID will get you in to Canada by land. I’d think the same would work by ‘boat’ aka float plane.

Wildlifeguy

I mean I get it wouldn’t be the most convenient, but could one not just drive into Canada, meet the guy with the plane, and continue on from there. Don’t know where you live, but if the passport is taking most of the day I can’t think its taking MORE time to just drive over the border with some of the documentation mentioned by others.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

sounds like it wont work out. I will take your spot toast

B-man

Well we came up with a solid last minute solution for our last minute trip.

He’s buddies with the guy who runs the seaplane base on Crane Lake. We’ll land the plane there on the way in and his buddy will take me by boat to Sand Point (where my buddy will have to check in anyway).

From there I can clear customs and be good to hop back on the plane. On the way home it will be the reverse, land at Sand Point, catch a boat ride back to the base, then hop back on the plane to my buddies house.

Clear as mud? jester

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Renewing passports is a mess right now. Even for expedited you won’t find an appointment anywhere close. About 3 weeks ago my friends wife was turned back at the airport for a passport close to expiring so since I do this a bunch I called in for them, the only open appointment was in El Paso, in order to get that time slot you need a confirmed ticket to show you are traveling. FYI, look at the country you are traveling to, most require 3 or 6 months remaining on your passport for entry.

ThunderLund78

Sounds like you got a heck of a weekend ahead of you B-man. I’ll be in Canada as well and I’ll wave when you fly over. cool Glad you got your logistics figured out.

KP
    Hudson, WI

You can call in to make an in person appointment but highly doubt they will have a appointment available today. This past March I was able to get one in 2 weeks paying for it to be expedited. Could not believe how fast it came because everyone told me it would be 6 weeks minimum.

CaptainMusky

I just submitted for a passport for my son in March since he’s 17 and needs one for Canada. Got the photo and app all done at local post office. Paid $50 for the photo. 4 weeks ago get a letter back that the photo wasn’t acceptable so I sent him to Walgreens and resubmitted. Got his passport yesterday we leave tomorrow phew.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I hope you have a great trip and am jealous! I may be alone here though…not sure that I would have a big enough set to try and do some Tom Foolery around customs. I’d end up in jail for sure doah

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I hope you have a great trip!
    I’ve had friends try to fly in with expired passports and it seems like a 50-50 deal as to whether customs lets them through. Not good enough odds in my book, but your plan looks like it obeys the letter of the law.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

here’s to hoping them are some really good trustworthy friends devil that dont leave him behind somewhere!!!!!!!! whistling whistling

DTW

too late for this advice now, but maybe for others.

Call and email your US Senator/Congressman. Tell them your situation. They can make it happen in a week. Friend did this.

Finally, something politicians are good for.

DTW

B-man

Well everything worked out just fine.

I hopped in a car, drove to Eveleth, jumped in a plane, landed on Crane, got in a boat at the seaplane base, rode to the Ontario Customs on Sand Point, cleared Ontario Customs, hopped in a plane, flew to a killer lake, caught a million fish and spent one night, hopped back on the plane, landed at Canada Customs, hopped in a boat, rode to the US side, cleared US customs, hopped in a plane, flew to Eveleth, then hopped back in a car rotflol

All for a day and a half trip that was filled with completely epic fishing lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well everything worked out just fine.

I hopped in a car, drove to Eveleth, jumped in a plane, landed on Crane, got in a boat at the seaplane base, rode to the Ontario Customs on Sand Point, cleared Ontario Customs, hopped in a plane, flew to a killer lake, caught a million fish and spent one night, hopped back on the plane, landed at Canada Customs, hopped in a boat, rode to the US side, cleared US customs, hopped in a plane, flew to Eveleth, then hopped back in a car rotflol

All for a day and a half trip that was filled with completely epic fishing lol

That sounds like a riot

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Love a story with a happy ending!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That’s awesome Bman, sounds like a fun adventure.

Erik Swenson

Surprised no one messed with you B-man, but pics or it didn’t happen… jester toast

B-man

I’ll try getting some pics up again, it kept denying them?

Edit: the site didn’t like the format, I had to screenshot some of them and they took.

In the big pike pic I didn’t have my inflatable on because he crushed my crank while I was taking my jacket off. It ripped the rod right out from between my legs lol

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230613-174549-1.png

2. Screenshot_20230613-174549.png

3. Screenshot_20230613-175743.png

4. IMG_20230611_193845.jpg

5. Screenshot_20230613-174319.png

6. Screenshot_20230613-174219.png

7. IMG_20230611_193912.jpg

8. IMG_20230611_193827.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Oh man that’s awesome. Looks like a great trip

Erik Swenson

Indeed. Thanks for posting, B-Man. Looks like a blast!!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Totally jealous!! Glad it all worked out and you guys smashed the fish, just awesome.

MX1825

A lot of messing around but it sure looks like it was worth it. Awesome fish pics B-man! waytogo waytogo

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.