Walleye, Pike & Trout – Deadly Canadian Combo

• Chad Thompson
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

Going over the weeks notes in my fishing log, I noticed a pattern. It involved a lot of people catching a lot of fish.

Although this week marks Pasha Lake Cabin’s regional walleye opener, we’re all ready weeks into fishing pike, brook trout and lake trout. Right you can find just about any species you’d ever hoped for in Northwestern Ontario and they are getting hungry.

As guests migrate down to the “situation room” after a day of fishing, you can see it on their faces. They are battle harden, and find it hard to believe that pike can fight that hard and can grow that big!

One example is a lake on Lake Nipigon (did I say that right?, a lake within a lake???). When lakes grow on islands like they do on Nipigon, it’s possible, and this one produced two 43” pike on back to back days. And a couple of casts near a bouldery shoreline, or from the dock in the harbor, and you will have a whole new understanding of what a “coaster” brook trout is. In one guided trip late last week, the John P. group from southern Ontario landed in access of 20 coasters, two of which stretched to 23”. Another example comes from a little lake that has a special place we call the “bay of pigs”. This week alone, it has produced many 35” to 40” class northerns. Oh, and don’t forget the fearless, aggressive and heavily feeding lake trout. They’re everywhere right now! Put it this way, get our your Bengay out after a day of fishing on this lake, you’ll need it!

And then there is the walleye fishing. It seems like every walleye in Canada has migrated to the river mouths, especially near old weed beds. Two days ago on a fairly chilly afternoon, I took my 7 year old son to a lake 20 minutes from the main lodge. We returned home an hour later with 2 limits of eyes, a couple of perch and a northen to boot. We haven’t had a shore lunch like that since last year!

Weather right now is cool in the mornings, and perfect fishing in the afternoons into evenings. Bugs have been kept at bay from the lack of rain, however our water levels remain high.

In short, you couldn’t ask for better weather and great fishing. The true Canadian fishing experience has once again arrived!

Until next time

PS – I will post more pics as they are emailed to me from last week’s guests.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’d like to see some pics of the coasters. Sounds like a blast to me!!

Chad Thompson

I agree!!!! I emailed John yesterday and hopefully he will get them to me shortly.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

I think we will just show up and see for ourselves.Thanks for the report chad.Hope I can get some sleep. See you tuesday.

Chad Thompson

as promised….

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Chad–Stop messing around with those slimy fish and start bear baiting….It’s never too early!!

Justin

Chad Thompson

Justin –

On Wednesday last week, I took a picture of your bear. This was shortly before I tied him up behind your cabin.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Perfect….now I can return that bug suit. Feed him well!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.