Pike on the Spawn?

• Chad Thompson
    Participant
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

I have to admit it, this time of year I get pretty anxious. When I saw Mother Nature battling the last sheets of ice on Pasha Lake, I jumped in the boat to help move things along. With the exception of Nipigon, I think we will be ice free by Sunday.

Water temps are a balmy 43 degrees and lake levels are spilling over the shorelines, creating optimal conditions for the upcoming Northern Pike spawn. Once we hit mid to high 40’s, the big females will move in and start to do their thing… can you say fun!

After breaking enough skim ice to access 60% of Pasha’s shore line, I donned my fishing clothes and wet my first soft water line of the year. Spot fishing was the name of the game this afternoon. Meticulously scanning the shorelines landed me a couple of respectable 30” pike and the fat lake trout pictured below.

Currently two other parties are out fishing one of our “go to” pike lakes. Once they get back, we should have a very good handle on what is happening in the region.

Stay tuned…

Chad

arklite881south
    Participant

Has to be fun catching those Lakers early in the season as well Chad. When guys come up in May what kind of depths might they be finding the Lake Trout in??

Chad Thompson
    Participant
    2 hours from Thunder Bay, Ontario

Chris –

I spotted that one yesterday in about 5fow and threw a crank at it.

We also dead stick them from shore out to 20 – 40fow. We just hook up a couple of suckers or smelt to a treble and let the bait lay right on the bottom. Lakers are notorious for bottom feeding this time of year.

arklite881south
    Participant

Very fun Chad! I bet they might be a bit vulnerable to crankbaits also? How Fun!! The true sign of “WAY NORTH” are Lakers, and they have always been something I’d like to spend more time fishing.

You’ve definately got lots of options Chad!!

bigpike
    Participant

Quote:

Water temps are a balmy 43 degrees and lake levels are spilling over the shorelines, creating optimal conditions for the upcoming Northern Pike spawn. Once we hit mid to high 40’s, the big females will move in and start to do their thing… can you say fun!

Chad

Thanks for the report, from my years fishing Nipigon
    the best fishing years for numbers and trophys have been the ones with Nipigon at full level.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.