Panoptix

• tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

So I thought I would share this. Garmin now has put out a couple new products that I can’t stop thinking about to the point that I purchased a 73sv and now panoptix. The panoptix transducer I wanted is the ps-22. I was gonna go with the ps 21 but then saw the 22 just came out in August at the 2017 I cast. This is the model that features both foreword and down live. The possibilities with this setup are endless. Endless for open water and ice. Even shore fishing. I have talked with a lot of people about garmin in general and I am suprised that more people are not aware of how great of a product they have. When I went to cabalas the guys there had no idea what panoptix even was and no idea how to use the garmin units on display. I seriously shook my head. I did explain to them how amazing garmin equipment is. I showed them what panoptix is and why I wanted to purchase it. Both of them were blown away and really had no idea that it even existed. Not to get to side tracked they didn’t have the transducer I was looking for so I left and ordered it from Garmin. So while I was looking on line I saw that they this year are offering a ice fishing package with a 73sv with panoptix transducer and ice ducer. They also offer a refined version of a panoptix transducer mount for ice fishing. So this is why my interest is in the ps-22. It is foreword and down live viewing in 1 transducer. Just flip it down to down view. Flip the ducer up and switch it to foreword view. Out to 300 ft. That is up to a 600 ft radius. That equals way less holes to drill. Foreword for scouting and down for fishing. Life reading down sonar for ice fishing. If you have not used this or seen it in action you are really missing out. It is unbelievable.

munchy
    NULL

I’ve known about the Panoptix since they were released a couple years ago, but that is mainly due to me keeping an eye on forums like these. And I wish I had one. The unknown of their greatness is due to Garmins lack of advertising and getting the word out there. I have yet to see an official advertisement direct from Garmin anywhere. I even did a quick search of YouTube and there are 5 minute long presentations on it but nothing that would be construed as a 30-60 second commercial that may be played on TV or wherever to get the consumers attention.

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

I totally agree. They need work on the marketing for fresh water and ice fishing. But ya know if you do the research you reap the rewards I guess.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The reason no one is talking about this company is they will probably go bankrupt soon…

Garmin ordered to pay Navico (Lowrance) $38 million in ongoing patent dispute

Google it.

Garmin Lawsuit ordered to pay Navico 38Mil

2015 Garmin Revenue was 2.8 BILLION, I think they will be fine.

Now if I can only get a piece of that pie for there crap lakevu maps….

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Yup sounds like an awesome company!

The willfulness finding means the jury found that Garmin knew about Navico’s patents and engaged in conduct that “was egregious, reckless, wanton, malicious, done in bad faith, deliberately or consciously wrongful, or flagrant.”

404 ERROR
    MN

2015 Garmin Revenue was 2.8 BILLION, I think they will be fine.

I’m in no way disputing that Garmin will be fine, but Revenue is just a number. Look at Polaris vs Can Am revenue…Polaris blew them out of the water in revenue, but Can Am scored on higher profits in 2016…It’s not about how much you sell, it’s about how efficiently you sell that makes you successful.

Look as GM revenue for 2016 at 166 Billion, yet they struggle to turn a good profit…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Panoptix is awesome, and super expensive!

Id love to replace my 12″ & 10″ with Garmin…. Do you know how much $$$ that is!?!?!

Been keeping an eye on Garmin since panoptix came out, but I’m not going to spend that cash on my old boat. The next one probably!

And, no matter the retail store, they generally don’t know Jack about the electronics beyond the material in the fliers.

carver
    West Metro

Yup sounds like an awesome company!

The willfulness finding means the jury found that Garmin knew about Navico’s patents and engaged in conduct that “was egregious, reckless, wanton, malicious, done in bad faith, deliberately or consciously wrongful, or flagrant.”

The reason no one is talking about this company is they will probably go bankrupt soon…

Google it.

I thought we were talking about Panoptix….

I love my downview looking to get the PS-22 for a softwater application.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Update on the lawsuit.

Henpecked, your article is a few months behind…

That said Panoptix looks pretty cool. I might be interested in it some day, but it’s hard for me to promote a crooked company.

munchy
    NULL

Google it.

How many people actually research the background of a company before making a purchase? And unless this story made big national news, which I never saw, Joe Blow will never even know about a lawsuit.

carver
    West Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

Google it.

How many people actually research the background of a company before making a purchase? And unless this story made big national news, which I never saw, Joe Blow will never even know about a lawsuit.

Same could be said about actually knowing the details of the lawsuit.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Seems the National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) is not to bothered about this lawsuit awarding Garmin as manufacturer of the year 2 years in a row along with product of Excellence Awards in the following categories: autopilot, multi-function display (MFD), mobile application—aid to navigation, mobile application—utility, fishfinder, AIS, and multimedia entertainment.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

@tomhopkins
    The ps-22 runs one function at a time? So in a boat one has to select position before running on water then stop boat reposition ducer to use the other function if the mounting lets you do that.
    Not knocking the transducer just asking about the set up.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

Google it.

Same could be said about actually knowing the details of the lawsuit.

Isn’t that what I said?

Henpecked

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Henpecked wrote:</div>
    Update on the lawsuit.

Henpecked, your article is a few months behind

Guess I am behind. Sorry. Usually am, but I guess I’ll have to use them until they or I die.

Jeff Iverson

Panoptix is amazing technology. I’ve run it for two years on my boat now and in some ways would be lost without it.

The ice applications I feel will revolutionize the ice fishing business.

As far as lawsuits. It’s business. Many companies protect there business by suing anybody that appears to have something close to there technology. In some cases it’s purely stagegy if they win…great, if it creates market doubt against their competitors …great, if it delays competitors….even better. These companies are so large they tie up multiple millions of dollars just to play though their strategy. Based on what I read in the previous post. They accomplished some of those points.

My take. I just want to use what works for me. I’ll let the companies fight out there stuff and work out their market strategy on there own. There big boys!

Competition by the way, makes sure all our brands improve and we all benefit with increasingly better technology.

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

correct. front scan would need to be selected on depth finder and then transducer positioned foreword. down view you would re position ducer down and then select down view window on depth finder. kind of a pain, but better than purchasing 2 transducers. as for ice fishing this will work great imo. scan foreword to find then switch to down view to fish them.

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

@tomhopkins
    The ps-22 runs one function at a time? So in a boat one has to select position before running on water then stop boat reposition ducer to use the other function if the mounting lets you do that.
    Not knocking the transducer just asking about the set up.

correct.
    front scan would need to be selected on depth finder and then transducer positioned foreword. down view you would re position ducer down and then select down view window on depth finder. kind of a pain, but better than purchasing 2 transducers. as for ice fishing this will work great imo. scan foreword to find then switch to down view to fish them

tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

Panoptix is amazing technology. I’ve run it for two years on my boat now and in some ways would be lost without it.

The ice applications I feel will revolutionize the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing business.

As far as lawsuits. It’s business. Many companies protect there business by suing anybody that appears to have something close to there technology. In some cases it’s purely stagegy if they win…great, if it creates market doubt against their competitors …great, if it delays competitors….even better. These companies are so large they tie up multiple millions of dollars just to play though their strategy. Based on what I read in the previous post. They accomplished some of those points.

My take. I just want to use what works for me. I’ll let the companies fight out there stuff and work out their market strategy on there own. There big boys!

Competition by the way, makes sure all our brands improve and we all benefit with increasingly better technology.

X2 the lawsuit stuff doesn’t concern me. it’s business.. the ice applications are gonna be a lot of fun. I have some ideas for river fishing from shore if the bank is steep enough that I might try with the foreword view also. could be game changing if it works..

FryDog62

I have mixed feelings on the entire issue:

• I’ve had Panoptix for one season and I’m still learning but it has some incredible application other competitors don’t have.
    • I had hoped to have the one all-inclusive transducer but bought front and down separate (expensive)
    • I like not having to stop and manually repositioning if I only had the one all inclusive transducer.
    • I don’t like how the the current lawsuit potentially reflects on Garmin but it will probably be appealed (again)
    • I like Garmin’s customer service vs. Lowrance and hope they don’t scale it back as a result of probably/eventually paying a big fine.
    • I think it’s good for the industry to have another strong competitor. Seemed everything was turning into a Ford-Chevy debate between Lowrance and Humminbird. Maybe Garmin is the next “Apple” of the GPS industry??

JoeMX1825
    MN

what scares me is spending all of that money and then the technology is outdated in just a few years… seems like fishfinder tech is moving leaps and bounds right now…I think Garmin is onto something with this tech, but it needs to be refined before I throw my money at it…

JoeMX1825
    MN

oh and do you draw straws to find out who the poor sap is who sits in the middle of your hole grid and tells everybody else where the fish are moving?

FryDog62

what scares me is spending all of that money and then the technology is outdated in just a few years… seems like fishfinder tech is moving leaps and bounds right now…I think Garmin is onto something with this tech, but it needs to be refined before I throw my money at it…

I think it’s pretty much real deal Joe. But I live in a compromise/hybrid world too in order to maximize a couple different technologies:

• Humminbird Helix 10 SI at the helm to find fish. Have a Minnkota Ultrex that communicates with the Helix for “Follow the Contour” and “Go To” the waypoint, and of course Spot-lock (best invention in electronics in the last 10 years IMHO).
    • And I also have a Garmin 1042XSV in the bow with Panoptix PS-22 for ForwardVu And DownVu.

So I can search/side image a Lake and find the high percentage spots with my Helix at the helm when I’m driving around. Then find the spot-on-the spot with my Panoptix, and use Spot-Lock with my Ultrex.

You’re right, it’s all too expensive, but at least you can buy just one Panoptix transducer (PS-22) now – versus having to buy 2 expensive DownVu and Forwardvu transducers only a year ago.

…but it’s never a good deal and yes you’ll be obsolete within 2 years.. doah. At least for now, it’s leaps and bounds over any technology I’ve ever had … will take me 5+ years to master/maximize what I’ve already bought so I’m happy.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.