Crankbaits For White Bass?

• Bullet21XD
    Participant

Anyone use small cranks for white Bass?

What are you’re favorites?

I was getting them pretty good last week using Norman DTN’s. The only problem I see with this bait, is if you speed it up, it rolls too easily.

Got a couple small Shad Raps and J’ed Shad Raps to try in the near future. Any other suggestions? Will be fishing 5ft of water or less.

bill_cadwell
    Participant
    Rochester, Minnesota

Chartruse colored shadraps work well. Roostertails work real good as have some color and flash. If you can’t cast them far enough just add a real small splitshot about a foot and a half in front of it. Casting a jig with white twister tails works good too. Keep us posted on how you do.
    Thanks, Bill

chuckles
    Participant
    Manchester, Iowa

Rattletraps work well in a pinch in the silver and blue or silver and black. I keep trying rattlin raps but they don’t seem to have the same mojo as the ‘traps themselves. Cranks will work but they aren’t always the best medicine available for whites…

My personal favorite lure for whites would be little cleo’s in the 1/3 or 2/5 sizes. Silver and blue or silver blue with the bubble finish. Blue fox vibrax in size three or 4 do fine as well – silver and white – be sure to take forceps for any or the lures I have posted or for cranks because they often inhale the entire treble and it can be a bit of a nightmare to remove the hooks without one. Good fishing to you, Chuckles

toddcarnes
    Participant
    Milan IL

Ipersonaly like the jig and twister tail better , because normaly when you find white bass they are schooled up pretty big and the action is very fast pace , So i dont like removing trebles from there mouth it takes to long,and its been my expierence that when they are like this you can catch them on almost anything. But if i was going to use crank baits i belive a#5 shad rap in the shad color would catch you all of them you could ever want.

Bullet21XD
    Participant

Well…I use grubs plenty.

The water I usually fish is fast, turbid, and very dirty. Looking for more options aside from plastics. I put the beatdown on them pretty good last weekend the one afternoon I fished for ’em…mostly on the Chart/Blue DTN.

I never thought about the inline spinners. May have to pick a couple up for this weekend. Fast and noisy…could be exactly what I want!

vinnydelpino
    Participant
    Up Nort

One of my favorite shallow cranks for white bass is the 2 inch Baby 1 Minus. I use them during spring run after dark and in dingy water. Big whites hammer them. Nice internal rattle. Hope this helps and give them a try. BMO

rdgallo
    Participant
    Morton, Illinois

I don’t know if this is considered a crankbait, but I have really good luck with chartreus Mann’s Little Georges.

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Back in the 1980’s, you could see anywhere from 10 to 50 boats drifting in Okee Bay on Lake Wisconsin. The number one lure back then for the majority of these boats was the Rooster Tail spinner.

Personally, I found it hard to beat a plain jig tipped with a large fathead minnow.

Blue, blue/white, white and black/white jigheads worked the best for me.

Back then we didn’t have all the really nice plastic shad baits that we have now. I would think they would be a great alternative to live bait or crank baits.

Boog

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.